Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

ProFunction Dyno Testing Report - Headers and Intake Manifolds on a 85X89 Bseries

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProFunction Dyno Testing Report - Headers and Intake Manifolds on a 85X89 Bseries

Alright, so we have been on a mission to find more power out of this particular combo. The engine combo is as follows

85mm Bore X 89mm Stroke
CP Shelf 13ish:1 pistons/Eagle Rods
Skunk ProSeries Valvetrain
Skunk Pro3 Cams/Skunk Cam Gears
Portflow Standard Headwork(stock valve size)

For a reference/baseline we have been using a ProFab header and a CNC ported ITR manifold on this car. On a normal intake pipe and 68mm throttle body, this is the power we made last year.

Using a different intake tube setup and a 74mm Throttle body we were able to get his 2100pd(w/driver) 89 Civic to an 11.52@118.

*Please Note, All items were tuned individually. I really can care less about which made more power against what....we just want to go faster.

Our first objective was to test headers. Our lineup included -
Bisimoto Fakie from China
SMSP B19
Toda Old School
ProFab SMSP Copy

Round 1 -SMSP B19 Vs. ProFab

Blue Line is ProFab - Redline is SMSP B19
*The ProFab is a copy of the SMSP but with crappy materials and larger tubing. This SMSP header has been around for ages and has stayed in great condition....whereas this ProFab header has been rewelded multiple times from cracks. For our setup it looks like the bigger tubes helped.

Round 2 -Profab vs. Bisi Replica

Blue Line is Profab - Red Line is Bisi Fakie
*The only discrepancy in this test is that we had to run the Bisi Fakie open. Because of its 2.75inch flange and the way it pointed upwards, we were going to test it open first and if it showed some gains we were going to build our exhaust dump around it. Well..... it didnt do so well. A/F's were already on the money and we were already losing power all over the place, i couldve moved the crossover point and made the graph a little prettier......but at that point i didnt care. We might do another test with it soon with our exhaust setup hooked up, but first i have to find where to get a weird 2.75 inch flange.

Round 3 - ProFab vs. Toda

Blue line is ProFab - Redline is Toda
*An oldie but a goodie, the Toda kicked some ***. Mike over at King mentioned that it did well on some of their 2.0L setups so i had to give it a shot....im happy that we did.

Here is an overlay of all the headers together.

The last item we toyed around with was a Modifed PerformerX. The method we used to mollest this manifold was very similar to King's second process where they didnt use a baseplate. Big props for them to beating me to the punch on producing and testing it.

*also due to late night testing i never took pics of the manifold. Maybe next time?

Round 4 - CNC ITR Manifold(on Toda header) vs. Modified PerformerX(on Toda Header)

Blue Line is Modded PerformerX - Green Line is CNC'd ITR
*Both manifolds won some and lost some up to 8500 where the Modded PX seemed to hold its power a little better. Now that it looks like the manifold will hold a little better, i might grow a set of nuts and move the shift rpm up slightly. We've been at 9400rpm.

So here are our final results as the car sits overlayed vs. how we ran it last year.

Its April 18th and it just snowed 3 inches. We'll get back to the track when we get there. Also if anyone wants to send us their Bisi Header (ALL M0T0R.....you down?) i'll gladly pay shipping to and from and have the header tested that same day that i receive it. I've been watching a whole bunch of MythBusters lately.

Current Best et is 11.52@118 - Projected goal is now 11.30@120. Wish us luck, and good weather!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ProFunction Dyno Testing Report - Headers and Intake Manifolds on a 85X89 Bseries

FINALLY. Some 3rd party test...thanks for the effort Mikey!!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ProFunction Dyno Testing Report - Headers and Intake Manifolds on a 85X89 Bseries

my vag is wet
Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does that head flow around 300 cfm?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice test, the Toda header did really well.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice testing
Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback Mikey, this is why I gave my virginity up to you, we both know its not because of the size of your *****.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for sharing!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would love to hear this on the dyno or street. I didnt know that kind of power was possible with a B series...
Old 04-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff Mikey
Old 04-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the appreciation fella's. These tests are a total pain in the *****....im still tired from it.

All this talk about PeePee's and Vajayjay's got me hungry. Im hittin up Wendy's for lunch. Time to get my dollar menu on!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And I thought my Toda header was too small for my 84.5 b20v.

Thanks for taking the time out to compare these header.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for some REAL WORLD INDEPENDANT 3rd party testing! Its nice to see actual dyno testing for comparing performance products...

With all that newfound power throughout the whole rpm range, I think you should hit your goals!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

awesome to see how much power you picked up with that. I foresee some high 10 second passes if you guys get crazy with a sawzall on your shell. imagine what it would do at 1900lbs with driver..
Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i finish my buddy's car(ecosol, chads) So we can have a car to and from work, i'll be happy to allow you to test my header.. i have it setup so i can just bolt it down.

Something funny though, and i do agree.. my car didn't like open header..not with this header at least.. i'm at work so i can't see the graphs to see how all the headers did.. but in the end.. i'll be happy to help in any way i can.

Tonio, 00red_si should have their cams by next week..so i can hopefully get some testing done on my cam lineup through them, as it seems 3rd party testing is what everyone really wants to see.

The motor is basically the same layout as mine, except i'll have my reapers instead of pro3s..my the motor layout on paper is the same as mine.. its nice to see it perform.

I'm also trying to market my own exhaust system.. nothing fancy and it wont be for along time, but i was able to make a flange for the bishi header since its such a odd diameter..

as always mikey an absolute pleasure to see you stepping up.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome.. Mikey

Thanks for sharing
Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
Something funny though, and i do agree.. my car didn't like open header..not with this header at least.. i'm at work so i can't see the graphs to see how all the headers did.. but in the end.. i'll be happy to help in any way i can.
The car really woke up after we installed a full exhaust system behind the header. We believe it may have to do with the dynamic compression being higher than expected. It seems that the bisi headers need additional piping behind them to get the true scavenging affects from the header. Our full exhaust consists of a resonator and muffler, 3 inch mandrel bent piping all the way back. We are running 93 octane pump gas, as the engine is already around 13:1 compression, having a higher dynamic compression ratio was causing some nasty pinging, As soon as the exhaust was installed the pinging went away and we were able to see the full potential of the motor.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the bisi header they copied was a 1.8 not a 2.0 header id send mine but it would prob be the same results
Old 04-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definetely liking the cnc itr vs modded px? def leads me towards a ported skunk2 when i do it.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by touchmyHONDA
my vag is wet
im coming over
Old 04-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha, where the **** you been at b20TDA?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WoW awesome test and really damn good power. Now when are u gonna start selling that CnC ITR Mani lol.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ecosol
The car really woke up after we installed a full exhaust system behind the header. We believe it may have to do with the dynamic compression being higher than expected. It seems that the bisi headers need additional piping behind them to get the true scavenging affects from the header. Our full exhaust consists of a resonator and muffler, 3 inch mandrel bent piping all the way back. We are running 93 octane pump gas, as the engine is already around 13:1 compression, having a higher dynamic compression ratio was causing some nasty pinging, As soon as the exhaust was installed the pinging went away and we were able to see the full potential of the motor.

I can get why it would want an exhaust hooked up to it after looking at its design.....but i'll honestly say that i dont expect my engine to totally change characteristics drastically once i hook up the exhaust. Im in the process of rigging a flange up for it right now.

You guys gotta get Derek's car on the dyno sometime soon......it'd be great to finally see some numbers.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah we know, we just don't want to do it around here. Don't want to let everyone know what we made. We got competition and they like to check up on us. As soon as we do well pm you the numbers. Well be happy with anything over 240 whp
Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the Bisimoto copy doesn't fit in an EF chasis, I take it?

Quick Reply: ProFunction Dyno Testing Report - Headers and Intake Manifolds on a 85X89 Bseries