Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Post Your Race Header (Whatever It Is)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Post Your Race Header (Whatever It Is)

Anyone got one used for sale?
Old 03-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aerogear2000
Anyone got one used for sale?
there was a used one on our local Honda forum up here in Canada for 700obo and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it esp with the exchange rate right now..only option I'm finding for a quality header under 1k is Whitfield performance (great option too!)
Old 03-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ontariorider
there was a used one on our local Honda forum up here in Canada for 700obo and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it esp with the exchange rate right now..only option I'm finding for a quality header under 1k is Whitfield performance (great option too!)
Thx I'll check them out.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:44 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They pop up for sale every so often, I haven't seen one in years though.

Try searching under DTR as well, 'Six Sigma' was 'Danny Tran Racing' when most of those headers were made.

The name of that particular header is "street sweeper"

he also made the 'B unit'.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a gander through the thread. I don't suppose with all this shitting on the Bisi header that anyone's trying to throw one (H22) away for dirt cheap? Next weekend, I'm looking to pick up the PLM rep to be converted from a 4-1 to 4-2-1 and use a Vibrant merge to see if the changes do anything for that mid-range dip. I just love the way those primaries look, so it'd be cool if they could be made to perform well.

At the moment, I've just got Spoon primaries on an OEM downpipe that I was going to enlarge the collector on. I don't expect that would be much different than a DC/Megan/etc, though.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:22 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

^^^^Are you saying that you have the "loch ness monster", a Spoon H22 upper header?
Old 08-06-2017, 07:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Supposedly. There isn't any sort of identification on it, but based on the level of the builds of the guy that sold it to me, I trust him. It had some oxidation, so I polished it up. It was also re-welded in spots by PFI Speed here in Colorado. It'll probably become wall art for the garage.

by D.Flinn, on Flickr

In my old CB7 sedan:

by D.Flinn, on Flickr

by D.Flinn, on Flickr

by D.Flinn, on Flickr

The system I've pieced together. 2.5" from the header collector to just before that first 90* bend, where it enlarges to 3" to keep the flow up.

by D.Flinn, on Flickr
Old 08-06-2017, 08:37 PM

I've only seen one other thread (on a different forum) that had any picture of this possible Spoon header at all, and likewise it had no markings but was quality construction, long merges and in old school Spoon fashion, was only the upper primary portion. Wonder if you're the same guy who made that thread lol but anyways good find
Old 08-06-2017, 09:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Probably, lol. It's the only one I've seen. Although I remember seeing "Spoon header" in the mod list for a 5th-gen Accord in Honda Tuning (RIP) once. Maybe one day I'll come across a period Spoon catalog to confirm at least the shape of the thing. If it's real, I'm definitely proud to own what I believe is the only thing Spoon ever made specifically for the H22.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:17 PM

Google "d series spoon header". It looks exactly like yours to a "t" except...for a d series (probably zc originally). I'm convinced
Old 08-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 08-08-2017, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Shout out to Photobucket for ruining another old, long thread.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Well if anyone wants to fix their own images quickly, adding "~original" after ".jpg" (to read like http://xxx.jpg~original) in the coding seems to work, at least for now.

ej1, that engine looks like an awful lot of fun . What kind of power are you making?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CyborgGT
Well if anyone wants to fix their own images quickly, adding "~original" after ".jpg" (to read like http://xxx.jpg~original) in the coding seems to work, at least for now.

ej1, that engine looks like an awful lot of fun . What kind of power are you making?
Trying to make over 300Hp+ 86.5/98mm
Old 08-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been out of the scene for a while. I remember back in 2003-2006 some top companies for headers were SMSP, Hytech, ANR. Does SMSP still make headers? I've noticed Myers recently?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:19 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smsp is long gone. Hytech is still around. Top dogs in the header business currently are Myers and ASP
Old 08-09-2017, 09:57 PM

I wonder why no one uses sequential pairing anymore, like SMSP did

Edit- aside from replica companies, talking about real header designers here
Old 08-10-2017, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out whitfield headers, they look really great.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^ Whitfields are priced really well, too.

Ugh, the order for my H22 header has to wait. A Mugen intake box for the daily RSX popped up for sale and I had to have it, lol. It's a friggin' base automatic (H project's manual, so I'll take a lazy-boy auto in traffic, thank you very much) and it's got authentic Mugen coilovers, strut bars, and now intake. That car's still far from complete, too.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:30 PM

^^^there's a couple of them on ebay I've seen this week
Old 09-14-2017, 05:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just to put this out there, the PLM Bisi rep was revised. I e-mailed JHPUSA (who I was going to order mine from) and PLM themselves, asking why the headers in their photos are different. To get to the point, this is the old version:

And this is the current:

Look at that collector change! Is it just me, or does that look horrible? Granted, I was going to throw the bottom half in the trash anyway, but in the primaries they use two pieces for the upper curves instead of one and, call me shallow but having welds there is ugly and bothering me. I've done a few things to make my engine look good since I'm putting so much into the internals, and I feel it'd be let down by a cheap-looking header that sits right out front. Why would they make the header worse both aesthetically and, I'm guessing, functionally? What's also funny is that on PLM's own website, they say "e-mail me a better price." I asked if they would match JHP's $50-lower price, and the guy told me to just order from JHP. There's a company that values business.

At this point, I'm looking at their Hy-Tech rep... stupid cheap (curiously only $280 shipped at JHP vs $500 at PLM), and already a 4-2-1. I wasn't against buying a Bisi rep because I was going to change so much of the design, but I'm on the fence about supporting a Hy-Tech rip-off. However, I've got so much I'm trying to get through on two different cars right now, that the ~$800 gap makes the fake very appealing...
Old 09-14-2017, 08:04 PM

That new version looks like trash. More wrong with it than what you listed but that "collector" is by far the worst
Old 09-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That header is trash, doesn't make power from what I have seen.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:28 PM

The original version had the potential to if it was actually custom. Of course now it's common knowledge that the "real deal" originals were never in fact custom like they were supposed to be
Old 09-22-2017, 07:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Isn't the HyTech custom, too? I thought they had about two basic designs, but within the designs all of the ones I've seen looked the same to me. And from what I've seen of dynos on the Bisi, the peak power looks nice enough, but the mid-range is crap. Hence why I would have converted it to a 4-2-1 to see if that did anything. I was actually three days away from having the money to buy one used after I thought Bisi themselves discontinued it (this was at least a couple years or so ago), but then the seller sold it to someone else. It looks like Bisi put their Honda parts back on their website recently, though.

I ended up getting the PLM HyTech rip-off. It was cheap enough that I didn't care about PLM's reputation for hit-or-miss fitment. And, of course, I'm going to have to modify it to fit. Can't really complain for $280, though. At this point, I'm just over $8,100 into my H22 build and I still have to get a traction bar to clear the header (I'd rather do that than notch the Accord's cross member), a crank damper, pistons, rods, re-sleeve (and other machine work), and tune... I just want it to be done already. I've been slowly picking away at it for five years while I also mod my RSX. I'm dying to get back into a CB Accord . I'll work on getting a "real" header later.

I'm going to cut 3/4" out of the height to hug the pan tighter and give better ground clearance. The pipes, before they finally merge into one, don't line up for the collector either, so I'll probably end up just completely re-doing those last 90* bends. No amount of messing around with the different pieces was helping.

Last edited by CyborgGT; 09-22-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Post Your Race Header (Whatever It Is)