Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > All Motor / Naturally Aspirated
Reload this Page >

Parts feedback: inexpensive clutch choice for lsvtec making 220hp

All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Parts feedback: inexpensive clutch choice for lsvtec making 220hp

Old 05-13-2019, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Parts feedback: inexpensive clutch choice for lsvtec making 220hp

I currently have an unsprung stage 3 competition clutch and it's like an on/off switch for the car. What cheap sprung clutch kits do you guys know of that are rated for over 220 hp?
Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 PM

Default re: Parts feedback: inexpensive clutch choice for lsvtec making 220hp

Originally Posted by Connor McCleese View Post
I currently have an unsprung stage 3 competition clutch and it's like an on/off switch for the car. What cheap sprung clutch kits do you guys know of that are rated for over 220 hp?
what price range are you considering as "cheap"? I find that term irresponsible regarding something as important as a clutch...
Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cheap as in 150-250 range. Its temporary for a trip across the state. Not irresponsible to me if it isnt a permanent replacement.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whether I want to or not, I need to change my clutch out for the road trip. You cannot feel engagement whatsoever and I dont feel like revving up to 3k and letting off as slow as possible in order to not stall out every time I get to a red light or stop sign.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:26 AM

Cheap as in 150-250 range. Its temporary for a trip across the state. Not irresponsible to me if it isnt a permanent replacement.
Again, to each. I for one don't have time to do this twice, as in you won't be able to break in the clutch properly when driving across the state (unless through backroads) regardless...

Sorry, I can't (and won't try to) recommend anything worthwhile for that amount of money. For clutches, many of us are a do it once, do it right, type of user... I'm sure others might have some silly eBay options. But I do wish you luck.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly for that little power you could get away with pretty much any reputable OEM replacement. That CC stage 3 is tremendous overkill for your setup.

I agree with Shodan though. From experience, just do it right and be done with it. Personally I like ACT clutches but everyone has a different preference.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that clutch is cancerous on this car. Threw it together with what was around though. I get where you guys are coming from, but this thing is the rat rod of civics and I'm only taking it with me to have fun with. I dont have a trailer or it wouldnt be an issue. I was looking at the xtr stage 2, but have recently been leaning towards an OEM replacement like you said. Still got another week or so before I have to order it which is good.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's a junker just get an Autozone special. Clutches are rated by torque not HP anyway. Even if you're making 220hp to the tire I doubt torque numbers are very far from stock so it shouldn't be an issue.

Otherwise an Exedy OEM replacement can be had for around $200 if you shop around and should do the job fine.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin View Post
If it's a junker just get an Autozone special. Clutches are rated by torque not HP anyway. Even if you're making 220hp to the tire I doubt torque numbers are very far from stock so it shouldn't be an issue.

Otherwise an Exedy OEM replacement can be had for around $200 if you shop around and should do the job fine.
Yeah I was looking at those OEM exedy, those kits dont come with the flywheel though that I know of..
Old 05-15-2019, 07:19 PM

Yeah I was looking at those OEM exedy, those kits dont come with the flywheel though that I know of..
nope, gotta have your flywheel resurfaced. can't have it all and still be "cheap", ya know?
Old 05-15-2019, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yonaka stage 3..it feels fine and holds the power. I make 230/156 B20vtec I got the clutch cheap off amazon
Old 05-15-2019, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought an exedy OEM, and you can stay hung up on "cheap" for as long as you want. It's a civic. I'm not putting too much more money into a civic. Sorry if that hurt your feelings.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 AM

I bought an exedy OEM, and you can stay hung up on "cheap" for as long as you want. It's a civic. I'm not putting too much more money into a civic. Sorry if that hurt your feelings.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm using the word "cheap" to define a low-quality product to cure all of your temporary woes. Using an Exedy OEM replacement is not considered ad a cheap move, because you're using a clutch based upon a Daikin product. which is the OEM product line of clutches for Hondas. In fact, I've used Exedy on 90% of my builds, and stock replacements. .

Some Exedy clutch kits for the K series OEM come with a flywheel, but most others certainly do not, like in your case.

I have no feelings, here, add thos is not my car, nor my risk to take to drive across the state in a hurry. But I'm glad you made wise voice, and not just wad literary in cost. Again, best of luck to you, and be safe in your travel.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 213 whp lsvtec with a competition OEM replacement clutch with a OEM flywheel and its holding up fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: