Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Opinions needed: What direction to go on my B20VTEC build

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed: What direction to go on my B20VTEC build

I’m not some kid slapping secondhand everything on a 350k mile auto hatchback. I’ve built v8s, I’ve Built VWs, Jeeps, but never a Honda. I have a well maintained completely unmolested 94 civic ex from what I understand this is a four door si but whatever, what I’m concerned about is the engine/trans I’m dropping in her.
B20B Block 84.5 mm
Block guard
LS crank polished
Manley 5.394 length rods
Weisco 84.5mm flat top 10.5:1 CR
King bearings cr439xp
King bearings mb5259xp
ARP 2085404 main bolts
Cometic .30 headgasket
ARP 2084306 Headbolts
B16 PR3-2 cylinder head
Manley titanium valve springs/retainers
Manley titanium valves
Competition 57402i intake camshaft
Competition 57403x exhaust camshaft
Golden eagle cam gears
Type r oil pump
Type r water pump
Gates racing timing belt
VMS timing Manuel belt tesioner

So here’s the deal, I was originally going to go turbo but I always had this feeling the blocks going to crack. I thought about supercharging on low boost but a good friend mentioned that I could always go that route after, due to it Not needing plumbing etc. etc. so here I am, going n/a not a big deal, but what’s your opinion on what I have and as far as bolt ons go. manifolds, injectors, fuel rails, coil on plug or distributor. I want solid opinions from the guys who’ve been there done that. I’m not afraid of price tags and I want to get as much out of this as I can legitimently. so let’s hear what the community has to say

Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions needed: What direction to go on my B20VTEC build

Anyone?
Old 03-11-2018, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would boost it to 450whp with e85. ur speclist looks very solid.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A chain is a strongest as it’s weakest link, therefore my strong spec list could be compromised by a block that cracked from boost. i dont know, I’ve heard horror story’s, and blowing up a motor I dumped all this money into is what I’m trying to completely avoid, expeccially having every other person say boost it don’t boost it. that’s why I posted this in a n/a category to get all motor guys opinions

Last edited by Grannyscivic; 03-11-2018 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 03-11-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Grannyscivic
A chain is a strongest as it’s weakest link, therefore my strong spec list could be compromised by a block that cracked from boost. i dont know, I’ve heard horror story’s, and blowing up a motor I dumped all this money into is what I’m trying to completely avoid, expeccially having every other person say boost it don’t boost it. that’s why I posted this in a n/a category to get all motor guys opinions
So make up your mind. If you're turbocharging it, then I have to move it to FI. If not, Then stay NA & move on,, already. We can't decide this for you, Brother
Old 03-11-2018, 05:17 PM
43!
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What fuel? E85 with 14+ compression and a good ported head would make a mean street motor. 250+ is fun.

That said, did you already buy these parts? If no, skip the B for the K and make 300+ with gobs more tq.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Allmotor 10.5:1 in that heavy car won't be much fun.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Use the crank that came with the block, not a fan of block guards myself, but it depends what you are using the car for. If money is no option, higher compression pistons if you are going NA and it seems like everyone is making good power with skunk2 cams. Just spend the $$ and get 4piston headwork.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

NA 4 cylinder build hardly makes sense. Combine that with a 4 door... Turbo it IMO.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Soooooo this is going nowhere fast. Yes it’s 10.5:1 cr pistons with a b16 head that should put me in the 11:1ish ratio. I’m still stuck in the same boat with the whole half of you are saying turbo it and the other half is saying run a higher comp. I understand where your coming from but I’m going to run pump gas. Now if I’m correct a stock b20 bottom end mated to a stock b16 head makes around 180ish hp with minor bolt ons. if I have the bump in compression and a lighter rotating assembly like I do I should be well more then that expeccially with quality bolt ons and a good trans. there’s people around here that are slapping them stock like that in a 4 door teggys and having a fun daily. now I’m not building a race car I’m building a street car Im Not running e85 because I’m not driving a hour to fuel up. This is my parts list this is what I’m working with. I’m going to go back to my original question.... what .... are .... good.... bolt.....ons.....that....flow....well.....together
Old 03-13-2018, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good bolt on’s skunk2 ultra intake with a 2L spacer and 70-74mm TB

4-1 big tube header with a 2.5” collector and 3” exhaust

3” -3.5” CAI

walbro 255 and rdx injectors.

I would suggest going with ycp 84.5mm 12-5-1 pistons and skunk2 pro2 cams. Hondata s300 arp rod bolts and u will need to vent the vc with a catchcan
Old 03-13-2018, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be hesitant to put an 84.5 stock sleeve engine under any kind of boost. Thats just me.

Block guards are garbage, unless youve already installed it, skip it.

If you havent assembled the engine yet and want to boost it, have the block CSS'd and youll be good to 450-500 hp.

If you want to keep it simple and stay all motor, get the bolt ons that ontario mentioned.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Grannyscivic
Soooooo this is going nowhere fast. Yes it’s 10.5:1 cr pistons with a b16 head that should put me in the 11:1ish ratio. I’m still stuck in the same boat with the whole half of you are saying turbo it and the other half is saying run a higher comp. I understand where your coming from but I’m going to run pump gas. Now if I’m correct a stock b20 bottom end mated to a stock b16 head makes around 180ish hp with minor bolt ons. if I have the bump in compression and a lighter rotating assembly like I do I should be well more then that expeccially with quality bolt ons and a good trans. there’s people around here that are slapping them stock like that in a 4 door teggys and having a fun daily. now I’m not building a race car I’m building a street car Im Not running e85 because I’m not driving a hour to fuel up. This is my parts list this is what I’m working with. I’m going to go back to my original question.... what .... are .... good.... bolt.....ons.....that....flow....well.....together
Stop.... expecting.... to.... be.... spoon.... fed.... do.... your... own... research

Do some research on individual parts, use your brain to combine said information, then come to your own conclusion. If you need DETAIL questions answered then ask it. All engines are the same, it's an air pump. More in + more out = power

You say you aren't a kid and have built V8s, BMWs, VWs, blah blah blah...... I'm.... starting.... to.... wonder....
Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Stop.... expecting.... to.... be.... spoon.... fed.... do.... your... own... research

Do some research on individual parts, use your brain to combine said information, then come to your own conclusion. If you need DETAIL questions answered then ask it. All engines are the same, it's an air pump. More in + more out = power

You say you aren't a kid and have built V8s, BMWs, VWs, blah blah blah...... I'm.... starting.... to.... wonder....
I agree. There are a lot of B20VTEC combinations out there with literally hundreds of different parts combinations to make those goals. You mentioned turbocharging, so we elaborated on that. So, do that first, then have specific questions.. (not "which is best", as that will never be answered.)

Last spoonful.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...555476/page82/