Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Need some info, on whether this is a good set up

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info, on whether this is a good set up

I have a jdm f20b w 5spd lsd, and computer...coming on tuesday. I originally ordered a skunk2 tuner series stage 2 cam, alpha series valve spring and titanium retainer kit, skunk2 billet cam seals, skunk2 steel spring bases, and vms racing billet adjustable cam gears.... but due to a mixup, i was upgraded to a skunk2 pro series xp, stage 2 cam...for no extra cost...so i now have to return the alpha series springs and retainers...due to them not being sufficient for the job. Anyway im about to order Manley part number 26110k...pro series spring titanium retainer, and valve lock kit.
I also plan to buy the oem oil pump, with ballance shaft eliminator installed, stage 2 clutch. A lightened flywheel, 4-2-1 header and 3" exaust.
Will this set up work well?
Will an 11ish compression ratio be sufficient for this cam to make good power? I am really hoping im good, but something tells me i should have went with a pro 1 cam...i hope im wrong.
Also, what APR rocker arm studs do i need?
Old 03-29-2019, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: Need some info, on whether this is a good set up

Too much cam for the stock short-block. Too much exhaust for the kind of power you will make. Honda's do not use rocker arm studs. If you mean ARP as the bolt/fastener brand... and you are referring to the cam cap bolts (there are 20 of them with 12mm heads stock), it is not necessary to replace them. If you need to replace any of these, the H22A bolts are the same.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So too much cam, dang it! Im glad im finding this out before im elbows deepin this thing. Would a shunk2 pro stage one cam with a 2.5" exaust be more fitting? Or is that still too much? I can send the cam back, and exchange it, thats no problem. This is the first honda build i have ever been involved in, so i apologise for my lack of knowlege.
Is there anything i need to do to the rockers for this build?
Old 03-30-2019, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

The Pro 1's work better with the compression that you have. The only real issue you will face is that these cams are very picky... you WILL NEED to degree them for maximum output if that is what you are looking for. Quick cam settings or something that you found online are NOT what YOUR engine necessarily needs... there are simply too many variables. Cylinder head milling, block milling, head gasket thickness, timing belt stretch, and timing belt tension are all variables that will affect the cam gear settings... just to name a few.