Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

NEED SERIOUS LS VTEC HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED SERIOUS LS VTEC HELP

I currently have a major problem with my recently rebult LS VTEC engine. Engine is currently at 150 miles. I think I am burning oil or coolant, not so certain yet. White smokes comes out the exhaust but only under certain conditions: very hard decompression shifting down and when moving off in 1st or second at very low near stall rpms. at rpms about 3500rpms the car runs amazing as long as it wasnt just recently smoking. i can go on it hard and it pulls hard and i can do hard decompression shifting down sometimes and it doesnt smoke as long as you jump on the gas before the revs drop too much. i am also having serious idle problems i cannot get the engine to iddle any lower than 1100rpms with the idle screw completely closed. there are no vacuum leaks that i can see after pillung all throttle body stuff apart. also after running engine hard and comin to a stop at a light engine idles at about 2000rpms. on start up it pulses from 1100 to 1500 then settles at 1100 rpm.

oil consumption of same stretch of test road has decreases as i do more runs but i think wash out problem is stopping that progression

after doing oil change today oil was black after only 100 miles but consistent in texture just as thin when i put it in. no water or foam int he oil, which i guess leans away from coolant being burned or any head gasket problem.

im thinking it is one of for things that might be wrong:

one is the ecu is pulsing the injectors and the car is running very rich at low rpms causing wash out and burning a mixture of oil and gas. when i tested the clips with an led will ignition was on there is a constant light no pulse like i thought there should be which means i maybe be pouring to much gas in at low rpms and giving me those problems. this would explain why car performs well up higher in the rpm range.
not sure how i would fix this i have a chipped p28 with a "ebay" base map and im very much regretting this.

the second theory i have is that either my valve seals, head gasket or piston rings are leaking but i am not leaning to this as the answer because my problem is very rpm specific and from my spark plugs it looks like i m running very rich. also id piston rings werent seated i dont think i would be getting this kind of power when the car does run correctly high up.

not sure if all this is in logical sense hoping someone can give some input and clarify if im on the right track to solving my problem and what i should do.

planning to do leak down and compression test as soon as i can get a hold of the testers.

some help would be greatly appreciated and help preserve the life of my first engine build

Last edited by eg6nike; 03-21-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 AM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NEED SERIOUS LS VTEC HELP

you need to get a proper basemap. Whatever you got from ebay is probably not even close to what you actually need and could destroy your motor if it hasn't already damaged it. Do the leak down and compression tests but contact a company like Xenocron or a member on here "Mtber" to purchase a better basemap from. You will need to take your car to someone who is good at tuning Hondas as well to sort out any timing issues (ignition or cam) throttle screw settings and the final tune.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn i had a feeling this would happen thanks for the info
Old 03-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the injector harness again and when i put the led to the clip it lights up constantly with low light when ignition is on then when u try to turn over the motor the light pulses much higher then goes low about twice a second with the high light being the pulse and the low light being the constant.

is this normal?

i have also contacted "Mtber" about getting a basemap and awaiting a response.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Check your codes & resolve them if you are throwing any.
2. Check to make sure your injector sequence is correct (injector plug 1 is running to injector 1)
3. Make sure your injectors are the correct impedance. (high impedance don't require resistor box etc.)
4. Check your cam timing again, then again. Make sure everything is at top dead center (timing belt could be off a tooth)
Old 03-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to get a proper basemap. Whatever you got from ebay is probably not even close to what you actually need and could destroy your motor if it hasn't already damaged it. Do the leak down and compression tests but contact a company like Xenocron or a member on here "Mtber" to purchase a better basemap from. You will need to take your car to someone who is good at tuning Hondas as well to sort out any timing issues (ignition or cam) throttle screw settings and the final tune.
Did compression tests and got 265 260 250 260 on a cold test so thinking warmed up i would get even higher compression numbers. Its a 12.6:1 compression engine so I am thinking these results are good and my engine is damaged and rings are seated good.

Ordered a basemap from Phaerable which should run better. then im going to go get it tuned.

1. Check your codes & resolve them if you are throwing any.
2. Check to make sure your injector sequence is correct (injector plug 1 is running to injector 1)
3. Make sure your injectors are the correct impedance. (high impedance don't require resistor box etc.)
4. Check your cam timing again, then again. Make sure everything is at top dead center (timing belt could be off a tooth)
Right now I am getting no codes. Sequence was double checks and is correct. The injectors are giving me 2.1 ohms across each so I do need resistor pack. My timing may be slightly off due to not having adjustable gears at the moment. Will be doing valve lash adjustment soon.

Thanks alot for the help.