Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Potential power gain from AEM CAI on B18C1??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Potential power gain from AEM CAI on B18C1??

Have a B18C1 with tons of stuff done already, tuned, etc. Have a AEM shorty on now but am wondering how much of a difference the AEM Hybrid Intake for B series swap will make. Anyone have any numbers on gains with CAI??
Old 08-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Potential power gain from AEM CAI on B18C1??

Nobody!? I know a lot of you have had or knows some one who has had a CAI, just want some experience based options and numbers...
Old 08-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a short ram style intake on my Gs-R (3 inch diameter) and the 2.5 inch AEM Cold Air style. Both feel roughly identical, but the graph was a bit smoother with the AEM intake on a mustang dyno.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try doing a little searching, they exist...
Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what he said^^. Personally, I have never used one. I'm always afraid of puddles and such. I have always stuck with custom intakes and velocity stacks. The best intake I have used was the Comptech icebox. Great power.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are very proven to be a great intake.. Something along the lines of a tuned length intake would be the ultimate intake bolt on.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

loong ram has the before vtec hump, short ram doesnet have the hormonic to produce the before vtec hump, both produce around the same power.. testing done on a 00 itr tuned with aem.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in NY so water hazards are an issue. Really the only thing that has held me back from buying a CAI but would like to lose the shorty, Comptech icebox really that proven? I haven't known anyone who has had one.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbociv910
loong ram has the before vtec hump, short ram doesnet have the hormonic to produce the before vtec hump, both produce around the same power.. testing done on a 00 itr tuned with aem.
hump? not sure what you mean. And I thought CAI are supposed to give you more power than a shorty?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally id save for itr style intake manifold, port match it to a larger throttle body, and get a 3" cai with bpi velocity stack My 3" SRI vs CAI on the dyno was minimal gains but overall map was a lot better with the CAI the large k & n with the BPI stack is a good idea. Downside to CAI is rainy weather.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99gsvtec
Personally id save for itr style intake manifold, port match it to a larger throttle body, and get a 3" cai with bpi velocity stack My 3" SRI vs CAI on the dyno was minimal gains but overall map was a lot better with the CAI the large k & n with the BPI stack is a good idea. Downside to CAI is rainy weather.
already have a skunk2 IM, the more and more i dig into the subject through this site and other forum sites it is making me wonder what is really going to give me proven gain in power and response...CAI, icebox, DIY icebox...when it comes down to it what is really more proven when it comes to choosing NA performance intake system?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, two of my motors had the Comptech icebox and they both made really good power. The things that I like the most about it is that it already has a velocity stack and that the filter is where a normal short ram would be. You wouldn't have to worry about puddles and it is essentially the same as a cold air intake.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had good luck with comptech as well, I just like loud intake and VTEC engagement . It's all preference ct uses a foam uni filter and has a small velocity stack, if it were me id run whichever I could get me hands on first. Either Sri or Cai will benefit from velocity stack and larger filter you can also look into to samco intake tube which would use a 3.5" velocity stack and not get as much heat soak as aluminum intake arms
Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99gsvtec
I've had good luck with comptech as well, I just like loud intake and VTEC engagement . It's all preference ct uses a foam uni filter and has a small velocity stack, if it were me id run whichever I could get me hands on first. Either Sri or Cai will benefit from velocity stack and larger filter you can also look into to samco intake tube which would use a 3.5" velocity stack and not get as much heat soak as aluminum intake arms
When you say a CAI would benefit from "velocity stack" what do you mean by that? installing a velocity stack in intake inlet with filter installed over it?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely starting to lean towards a icebox, as i run through all the pro's and con's it's literally raining like crazy! NY sucks for weather especially Syracuse. I think it's a sign I should avoid CAI. lol. The price is hard to pass up though, $175 NIB shipped, Hybrid intake made specifically for 96-00 civic w/ B18C1 swap. $200 shipped with pre filter included... where as i can't even find a Comptech icebox system for my car because its a swap... what system would i have to get being that its a 97' EK with 99' GS-R motor...
Old 08-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your using a factory GsR manifold you should use the GsR style intake. I live a half hour away from you and I use the AEM CAI on my Gsr with no problems.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mr. EG
If your using a factory GsR manifold you should use the GsR style intake. I live a half hour away from you and I use the AEM CAI on my Gsr with no problems.
Using Skunk2 Pro IM
Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 AM
All Motor Mentor

I live just North East of New York and get lots of rain here. I've driven for 11 years in the pooring rain with my AEM CAi and never had a problem because I kept all my stock splash shields in place (the major reason why anyone has a problem with water).
The "best intake" is a custom tuned length of pipe for your car but that takes a little time and money. The best off the shelf intake has proven to be the AEM 3" CAI on most 1.8L's. Velocity stacks just add to those benefits.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 PM
N/A
Purpose Built

All this for a intake?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by N/A
All this for a intake?
That's what All Motor is.... "every little bit counts" and there is a decent amount of power to be gained in all motor applications with the proper intake pipes.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N/A
All this for a intake?
Yeah. Spend the money once, do it right the first time, the idea of this site is to gain info and advice based on experience...I don't just do something to find out I wasted my time and money.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
That's what All Motor is.... "every little bit counts" and there is a decent amount of power to be gained in all motor applications with the proper intake pipes.
Exactly!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Easy answer if you live in NY run Sri yes the bpi velocity stack goes at the inlet of the intake with about 7" that allows for a larger filter more air more power
Old 08-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The icebox system seems to be the better choice but it looks like I would have to fab one up and mix and match, seems the easier and more proven option would be the Hybrid CAI from AEM, I will have to invest in a new fender liner because the one i have is kinda beat. I don't mind if its louder or quiter in either situation, the car is already loud with 3" exhaust... few more db ain't gonna hurt.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
N/A
Purpose Built

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
Your absolutely right.

Just seen the answer come up already and didn't expect it to keep going.

Booooooooooooredom.

Originally Posted by just_bn_me83
The icebox system seems to be the better choice but it looks like I would have to fab one up and mix and match, seems the easier and more proven option would be the Hybrid CAI from AEM, I will have to invest in a new fender liner because the one i have is kinda beat. I don't mind if its louder or quiter in either situation, the car is already loud with 3" exhaust... few more db ain't gonna hurt.
OR you could just get it and not be ****ing lazy use it just when needed and jus remove it when your dailying it. No? Lol

Quick Reply: Potential power gain from AEM CAI on B18C1??