Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

muffler choices.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default muffler choices.

Looking for 3 inch muffler that is quiet and still flows. If it was completely silent I would be ok with it lol. Looking into the vibrant stealth but would like to hear other options. 12:1, stroked gsr with a tri-y.
Thank you.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: muffler choices.

try the vibrant universal

i had a magnaflow and it rusted. Im running vibrant now
Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Vibrant Stealth muffler and Vibrant resonator. It is all 3" piping and louder than fawk. When WOT people can hear me miles away... The resonator doesn't do **** either for cabin noise haha. That's my experience...
Old 08-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm looking at running a dual resonated (vibrant ultra quiet) w/ a metallic cat and twin loop.

For a 3" it should be pretty mellow. I know "blackeg" ran something similar and said it sounds "perfect" to him.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

3" apexi world sport muffler.... done.

I'll never by a vibrant again..POS.

End rant
Old 08-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt know the WS came in 3"
Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
I didnt know the WS came in 3"
They make a universal muffler. It's straight through. Nice muffler. Kinda spendy.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan

I'll never by a vibrant again..POS.

End rant
Shodan, how was noise level and tone of the 3' WS? Did you use any resonators or Cat with it? Are they as restrictive as their 60mm counterpart?

I had a 3" Vibrant stealth with an Ultra-quiet resonator, and a regular resonator. The resonators changed the tone a bit, and provided less drone for the inside, but it was still loud on the outside. It may have quiet down just a tad at cruise, but WOT was still very loud. I liked the tone though but noise level was definitely still up there
Old 08-30-2014, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an apexi 3 inch ws on the car and I hate the look and it's way to loud and raspy. Anyone use the 3 inch magnaflow universal?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run a 3" Vibrant stealth muffler and a ultra quite resonator on my coupe and like it. I can hear my motor over the exhaust and its not to bad in the car cruising at 5k rpm.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by MR.johnson
I have an apexi 3 inch ws on the car and I hate the look and it's way to loud and raspy. Anyone use the 3 inch magnaflow universal?
You sure about that? You're the first in MANY a year that would made that description of that muffler.. and I'm using that on another project, although it is turbocharged. Do you have a current picture of that it is indeed the WS 3" from Apex'i?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blacK_Dc4
Shodan, how was noise level and tone of the 3' WS? Did you use any resonators or Cat with it? Are they as restrictive as their 60mm counterpart?

I had a 3" Vibrant stealth with an Ultra-quiet resonator, and a regular resonator. The resonators changed the tone a bit, and provided less drone for the inside, but it was still loud on the outside. It may have quiet down just a tad at cruise, but WOT was still very loud. I liked the tone though but noise level was definitely still up there
The WS2 universal muffler is straight through as opposed to the chambered 60mm they use on the cat-back system. From what I have seen of the 3" universal on turbo motors it performs well. They make the 60mm in universal that is straight through as well if I'm not mistaken. The cat-back sounds so great....just SUCKS the performance.
I did an open header pull on my old MILD GSR (82mm pr3's w/ p30 IM and 66mm TB, skunk stage 1's) and made 12whp more from vtec engagement up. Had to add some fuel. Just an example.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.johnson
i think it would be to loud. ive been using the magnaflow's for a while now and just went to the vibrant and i am happy. zero rasp.

wot will be loud im not sure if you can get away from that. i think its about tone and tolerable cruising noise.

i recently switched from using resonators to running a "bullet" style magnaflow muffler in my mid pipe instead of a resonator. granted its long like 20" core but it has a deeper, no rasp tone than when i had a vibrant resonator.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Matt you need to get a video up for everyone to hear
Unless you posted it and I missed it haha
Old 08-31-2014, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
Matt you need to get a video up for everyone to hear
Unless you posted it and I missed it haha
i know. the car is about to come apart for motor rebuild this week too. i also need to find a friend to give it some gas while i film. gonna make u guys wait in suspense lol. i mean its not perfect but it sounds better imo than other exhausts ive had.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by blacK_Dc4

Since it was a universal muffler, there was no restriction with it, as the piping was custom made with v-band to avoid BSing around with removal later. I added only an SLP performance resonator on the piping and that's it.

The 3" model is a "straight through" muffler, but had excellent glass-packed baffling that made the tone nice, low, professional and no raspyness.. (That's why i'm curious as to how Mr. Johnson had his configured.

I tend to use these for turbo cars more-so than NA cars, but this one worked out well. Unfortunately, I don't have videos of it as it was another person's EH/EG hatch that was using a nice 2.1 litre B-series motor.

My other personal EM1, will be using a nice Apex'i N1 baffled Muffler with SLP resonator and 2.5" high flow Catalytic converter. This will use 2.5" custom v-band piping as well. So , hopefully next year I'll have some vids of it like i did my GReddy Evo 2.

After my continued disappointments with Vibrant mufflers, I'll never pick one up again regardless of model... But this , again is my personal preference.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
The WS2 universal muffler is straight through as opposed to the chambered 60mm they use on the cat-back system. From what I have seen of the 3" universal on turbo motors it performs well. They make the 60mm in universal that is straight through as well if I'm not mistaken. The cat-back sounds so great....just SUCKS the performance.
I did an open header pull on my old MILD GSR (82mm pr3's w/ p30 IM and 66mm TB, skunk stage 1's) and made 12whp more from vtec engagement up. Had to add some fuel. Just an example.
I am currently using WS catback which is 60mm and chambered. I was curious to what the difference between the catback piece, to their universal 60mm and 3" parts.

The current WS catback sounds quiet, and pretty nice inside the car since you can only hear engine. But their tone on the outside... its quiet and all, but i dont really like HOW it sounds. lol I lost about 12-14whp with it on the 2L ( lost 20+ in the midrange smh)

Since it was a universal muffler, there was no restriction with it, as the piping was custom made with v-band to avoid BSing around with removal later. I added only an SLP performance resonator on the piping and that's it.

The 3" model is a "straight through" muffler, but had excellent glass-packed baffling that made the tone nice, low, professional and no raspyness.. (That's why i'm curious as to how Mr. Johnson had his configured.

I tend to use these for turbo cars more-so than NA cars, but this one worked out well. Unfortunately, I don't have videos of it as it was another person's EH/EG hatch that was using a nice 2.1 litre B-series motor.

My other personal EM1, will be using a nice Apex'i N1 baffled Muffler with SLP resonator and 2.5" high flow Catalytic converter. This will use 2.5" custom v-band piping as well. So , hopefully next year I'll have some vids of it like i did my GReddy Evo 2.

After my continued disappointments with Vibrant mufflers, I'll never pick one up again regardless of model... But this , again is my personal preference.
nice, i'm def. a fan of the Apexi N1. Illl look into the SLP resonator. From what I've seen with the Vibrants, they DO sound raspy with no resonators..... but after adding a 22" resonator, and a resonated test pipe, it had a really nice tone (still loud). (also added an Ultra-quiet resonator later on .. which changed the tone more but still loud)
Old 08-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is exactly what I want my exhaust to sound like. nasty gnarly growly rumbly even kinda sloppy.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 AM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually really like my 70mm Skunk2 RR exhaust. It sounds really good.

They make an actual 76mm one now too.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Literally the worst exhaust I've heard that people pay money for. I'm not alone either, numerous people I know agree. Bees in a trap, sounds like a ******* hive of 3 million bees exiting a Folgers can. Buzz buzz.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
Literally the worst exhaust I've heard that people pay money for. I'm not alone either, numerous people I know agree. Bees in a trap, sounds like a ******* hive of 3 million bees exiting a Folgers can. Buzz buzz.
Never happened to me or the 6 I've used over the years. Although I don't know your "numerous" people, but combinations of resonators, cat-converters, and test pipes will all vary the results.

I've found that with the right combinations, especially for turbocharging, never had an issue.

No one here is "wrong" or "right".. Most of this is subjective, anyway, based upon the reasons I've stated above.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I vote for the sk2 R/RR as well, I have the R"2.75inch" on my 2dr ek with a gsr with a 2.5 inch collector off RMF narrow rep headers into 2.5 test pipe. It is loud but I don't think the tone is all too bad. IMVHO it sounds a lot nicer than 85% of other hondas I have heard locally. Again it is a tad on the loud side especially when she's gets breathing. The RR would be a 3inch pipe, R 2.75inch, and non "R/RR" megapower exhausts are 2.25inch. All exhausts come with a resonator and muffler. IMO the quality of the welds and exhaust in general was very good. My .02 from a happy customer.

Sorry if off topic, since you were inquiring about a muffler only and not a cat back exhaust, figured I'd throw my opinion out there since the sk2 R was brought up.

Edit- I've heard cat back ws2/mufflers combos never once did it sound like bees in a folders can. I must say the cars that sound the worst usally have a vibrant type muffler on them, strictly my opinion tho.

Last edited by MugenSpeclNY; 09-06-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by MugenSpeclNY
Edit- I've heard cat back ws2/mufflers combos never once did it sound like bees in a folders can. I must say the cars that sound the worst usally have a vibrant type muffler on them, strictly my opinion tho.
exactly..
Old 09-07-2014, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MugenSpeclNY
I must say the cars that sound the worst usally have a vibrant type muffler on them, strictly my opinion tho.
comes out of the closet as a ricer lol!

Quick Reply: muffler choices.