All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

machine work

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: machine work

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
Thx for looking out Randy. I always like to double check myself, some threads I make may seem dumb but oh well... Sometimes I like others opinions. I don't think that should take credibility away from as a tuner or engine builder.

I have built quite a few in the last 5 years. Im no guru, or highly experienced engine builder like you. I totally agree that asking for a 2nd opinion or extra input IS infact a good thing. There is nothing wrong in asking the question; Is there a better way to do this? Mighty modest, sir.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NAH2B
heres an example. most local shops around here will use a belt sander to resurface your block and head as this is the norm in the domestic world. they are the ones charging 40 bucks for resurfacing. and most of you would never think twice about it until or klnow the difference until after your build is finished and your headgasket is leaking because the surface is to rough. a good machine shop uses cnc equiptment to resurface and they charge more to do it. someone like you would most likely overlook this machine shop because they charge more for what seems like the same.
While I don't agree with everything you said, you do make a good point that it really depends more on the quality of the work than just the price of the work. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean the work is poor or vise versa.

Among us machinists, there is a distinguishable difference between a "rebuilder" type machine shop and a "performance" type machine shop. Rebuilders are more likely to do that hokey **** you're talking about, like use belt sanders or whatever, which actually is not the norm in the domestic world. A performance shop will use a proper surfacer, or even a 3 axis CNC machine, although the CNC doesn't mean the work is any better either. Rebuilders have a "turn and burn" type business model to do a lot of work cheaply and make money on volume. Perforance shops typically do charge more because the amount of time and attention to detail put into the work is greater. For example, a local machine shop that does a lot of rebuild type work will surface and do a valve job on an OHV head for about $200. It's not a great valve job, but it's decent and it's not surfaced with a belt sander either. Another guy , who has done work for competitive NMRA/NMCA/NHRA Pro Stock engines as well as GM/Lingenfelter/Katech race engines, charges about $700 just for the valvejob, but the workmanship is impeccable. Then again, some shops will charge a lot more just because they think their work is that great when it really isn't.

I think the best thing to do is shop around and see what kind of reputation each place has before giving them your stuff to machine...or to mutilate. Talk to people at the local track to see who has done good work and who hasn't. Pay attention to how clean and organized the shop is. Someone who takes pride in their work will usually keep their tools clean and their work area organized. Above all, go with your gut. Don't let a shop smooth talk you into a sale by promising you big power or a cheap rate. There really isn't a good indicator to find a good shop, you just have to investigate.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NAH2B
i remember you asking about which bearing clearances to run and how to tell if your oil pump is bad, etc...

i wouldnt want someone assembling my enigne who needs to ask these types of questions. and i understand you may work w/ Don and are quoting prices for him but your not allowed to do that. i dont care if you do but h-t cares, just a heads up as i was told the same recently. personally i think its a bunch of crap but its all about the $$$
dont forget checking the rod side clearance by making sure there is a tad bit of wiggle!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Trial User

Hey man I know you posted that about 3yrs ago do you still do machine work or anything?
Our know anyonethat does?

Originally Posted by b20vtech
Block
$550
hone/bore
clean/wash
deck
clearence check
polish crank
crank/rods/pistons balance
Piston put on rods
ARP rod bolts install onto rods