Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

JDM B16a Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: JDM B16a Mods?

the pp is not gonna give any crazy #'s maybe about 10hp but thats just a guess..... is wat ur gonna get is better reaspons and smoother accel from that puppy... if ur gonna go that route, the pp, i would personally get it milled also, just helps give it that little extra pop by raising the comp and ull get a cuople more hp out of it...
so all in all w a pp and milled about 10-12hp gain but that 1frst to 2nd gear pull will be a lot better, throw some cams in there maybe later down the road and ull really feel the difference
Old 09-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej8siR *ftmfw*
...thank you. Glad to see someone besides myself took offense to such a rude/ignorant statement.
**Rant Time**

I'm actually fed up with all the B16A hatred on H-T. It's BECAUSE of the B16A , NOT in spite of it, that all the other B variants are in existance today. The B16A is the LEGENDARY engine that promted NOT ONLY the VTEC revolution but also the entire SPORT COMPACT GENRE!!!! No other B variant can make that claim.

Guess what all you H-T B16A haters.... HERE IN JAPAN, THE B16A STILL MAINTAINS ITS LEGENDARY STATUS!!

Not everyone requires 150 lbs ft. of torque and 240 horses. Some, like myself, only want an optimized B16A for spirited driving purposes. Additionally, I'm much too OLD to be street racing, and I COULD NOT care less about drag racing. You can only go so fast on the streets. Here in Tokyo, due to the low speed limits and VERY congested traffic, that means you either have to proceed to the Wangan on Friday or Saturday nights and risk tickets or an accident, or make the semi-regular trip to Ebisu, Tsukuba, Fuji, Honjo or maybe even Nasu.

95% of the H-T All Motor devotees are fixated and obsessed with cubic centimeters. SO OBSESSED, that they will sell their souls to the devil in order to obtain them. All whilst riduculing those like myself for NOT becoming a soul less demon and succumbing to the "DARK SIDE".

I ador the B16A. I will NEVER own an LS VTEC, a CR VTEC, a GSR or a B18C Type R. As previously stated by me on several All Motor threads, I will not build an engine that has a larger stroke than the bore. This is simply my preference. That limits me to the B16A, B16B, B17A1, K20A, F20C, a destroked K24A or a bored F20B.

LONG LIVE THE B16A....
Old 09-22-2011, 04:14 PM
N/A
Purpose Built

Originally Posted by EG6 Master
**Rant Time**

I'm actually fed up with all the B16A hatred on H-T. It's BECAUSE of the B16A , NOT in spite of it, that all the other B variants are in existance today. The B16A is the LEGENDARY engine that promted NOT ONLY the VTEC revolution but also the entire SPORT COMPACT GENRE!!!! No other B variant can make that claim.

Guess what all you H-T B16A haters.... HERE IN JAPAN, THE B16A STILL MAINTAINS ITS LEGENDARY STATUS!!

Not everyone requires 150 lbs ft. of torque and 240 horses. Some, like myself, only want an optimized B16A for spirited driving purposes. Additionally, I'm much too OLD to be street racing, and I COULD NOT care less about drag racing. You can only go so fast on the streets. Here in Tokyo, due to the low speed limits and VERY congested traffic, that means you either have to proceed to the Wangan on Friday or Saturday nights and risk tickets or an accident, or make the semi-regular trip to Ebisu, Tsukuba, Fuji, Honjo or maybe even Nasu.

95% of the H-T All Motor devotees are fixated and obsessed with cubic centimeters. SO OBSESSED, that they will sell their souls to the devil in order to obtain them. All whilst riduculing those like myself for NOT becoming a soul less demon and succumbing to the "DARK SIDE".

I ador the B16A. I will NEVER own an LS VTEC, a CR VTEC, a GSR or a B18C Type R. As previously stated by me on several All Motor threads, I will not build an engine that has a larger stroke than the bore. This is simply my preference. That limits me to the B16A, B16B, B17A1, K20A, F20C, a destroked K24A or a bored F20B.

LONG LIVE THE B16A....
no one was trying to discredit the b16a.

And after your rant you pretty much agree with us, the b16 is slow
Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N/A

Right....Demon
Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hoffmanb16
The best thing i ever did to my b16 was swap that little dude out for a b20 block...

b16 all motor is pointless.... b16 turbo is a beast but N/A..... No sir...
Originally Posted by EsotericImage
by the time you build the B16 for 11k rpms, your going to have a $5000 engine. between sleeving, and building it to maximize the sleeving. Its the most idiotic idea ive heard in years.. unless your baller and got 5k engine going into a $2k car. but who the **** would do that as a DD?

OP: your B16 is nothing but noise maker. a glorified D16y with an extra cam. it has no power unless you feed it boost. youll rev high, makes all kinds of noise, and still be slow.

Sell the swap to JR integra so he can dump 5 grand into it and buy 1.8l or 2.0l or boost the ****in thing
Originally Posted by N/A

Nope

No discrediting at all....
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

B16
Old 09-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow cant we all get along, and for the b16a i love it as do i love all the b-series motors, its all personal prefrence, and eg6 is right if it wasnt for the b16a doing well there might have never been a b18c or cr so hate all u want.... the forum is ment to help people w there q's not ridicule them for wat the have... give them options and advice for wat they have not poke and tell them that they need to swap it out just cause u dont like that motor
Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 PM
CS!
Honda-Tech Member

This is the route i wil be following with my B16a
toda rep header
63mm exhaust
ITR cams
CAI
piggyback
Old 09-23-2011, 02:14 AM
N/A
Purpose Built

Originally Posted by EG6 Master
Nope

No discrediting at all....
Nope not at all, its the truth.

No one is denying the fact that the b16a brought the dohc vtec engines into fame and created a platform the majority of honda owners use today, not one person. Haven't even seen it be brought up in this thread except for your post.

The things just got no cojones with a stock block, no replacement for displacement!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:27 AM
N/A
Purpose Built

Originally Posted by crxsi1
and eg6 is right if it wasnt for the b16a doing well there might have never been a b18c or cr so hate all u want.... the forum is ment to help people w there q's not ridicule them for wat the have... give them options and advice for wat they have not poke and tell them that they need to swap it out just cause u dont like that motor
First off.... who ridiculed who? Advice was given that was asked for. And all of it was fact based on experience

Second, NOT ONE PERSON MENTIONED THE EFFECT THE B16 HAS HAD ON THE INDUSTRY. No one. Just the fact that if you want power in a N/A setup above a certain limit, than your gonna need a bigger block

Third, an engine is not a person. People just don't randomly pick a block and not like it for no reason like the weird kid that don't talk to anyone one, this isnt high school. We don't just tell people to swap out engine for no reason just cause everyone saying it lol

There should be a clue when the guys with "b16" in their username are telling you go bigger.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jesus christ you have gotten some bad advice here! Save up for a B20 block, proper conversion kit, and machine work. Grab some ITR cams for $300 and little supporting mods here and there and you will be very happy with the torque difference between the 1.6 and the 2 liter. You can build up the 1.6 liter all you want all motor, you'll just end up disappointed and broke. Stick to the basics here that has been through trial and error for having a B all motor. I think at the end of the day that will be the smartest decision and the most rewarding. The B16 is a little guy, makes close to hyundai standards of torque LOL that 2 liter will have your anus firmly planted in the seat, a smile on your face, and a few bucks to get you and becky some chalupas! Good luck my friend!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first off lets just state the fastest all motor b16a ran a 11.28 in my book thats got some *****, if u want to run that in any b-series ur gonna spen money either way, o so u spend 1k more to get that out of a b16a not that big of a deal and for ridiculed well lets see when someone says its just a glorified d16y or a noise maker then that constitutes that, d16y has wat 110hp compared to the b16a at 170hp um big difference, like i said i like all b-series motors if i had money i would own every one of them just to have them, lol... but i dont. this person already has the motor, to swap out and put in lets say a b18cr its gonna cost 4500k that doesnt include the small stuff... plugs, wires, water pump, maybe clutch, ect.....
Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i really really really dont get why people think its hard to make power while not spending to much on a b16a, if u know wat ur doing and i mean really know wat ur doing and do the research u can biuld a solid b16a runnin mid 12's all day, now im not sayin anyone personally on here but i know a few people that just didnt have a clue so they went bigger cause they didnt want to deal w it...let me also add it depends wat ur putting that engine into heavy car or lighter car u know power to weight ratio many people forget about that, example my b16a in a crx has good power to weight ratio compared to a gsr in hatch still good power to weight but not as good just sayin....
Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude you need to get into some of these other more well explained information, because getting bashed won't teach ya much. What do you think about my idea??
Old 09-24-2011, 03:09 AM
N/A
Purpose Built

Originally Posted by crxsi1
first off lets just state the fastest all motor b16a ran a 11.28 in my book thats got some *****, if u want to run that in any b-series ur gonna spen money either way, o so u spend 1k more to get that out of a b16a not that big of a deal and for ridiculed well lets see when someone says its just a glorified d16y or a noise maker then that constitutes that, d16y has wat 110hp compared to the b16a at 170hp um big difference, like i said i like all b-series motors if i had money i would own every one of them just to have them, lol... but i dont. this person already has the motor, to swap out and put in lets say a b18cr its gonna cost 4500k that doesnt include the small stuff... plugs, wires, water pump, maybe clutch, ect.....
Since when does swapping a b18c cost 4500k?!!
Majority of the "small stuff" you mentioned can be used from the b16 and doesn't have to be bought unless there is a concern that a part is bad.

The person who compared the b16 to a d16 was mainly trying to point out that building a all motor b16 is a money pit like the d series. Only to lead to dissapointment

Oh and that 11 sec b16.....you have any idea what is done to the block? Guarantee its no longer a 1.6

Again no one is ridiculing, just speaking from experience and whether you want to take it as advice or insult is your choice.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:17 AM
N/A
Purpose Built

Only solid argument I've seen here is EG6 master's preference on building engine with a bore no bigger than its stroke.

This results in less stress on the rotating assembly and allows for higher revs.

OPs choice should depend on what he plans on doing with the car in all honestly.

He's gonna have to choose where he wants his power and how much of it before deciding anything
Old 09-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree it does depend on wat hes planning to do w the car, like road racing, eg6's preference would be ideal and w the b16a's almost perfect r/s ratio 1.73:1 it would be perfect... and just to clarify when i quoted the 4500k that was for a b18cr not b18c (gsr) that would include motor and trans, when ever i do a swap, it is always a good idea to just replace thoughs items before putting it in, just good insurance and easier when its out, i would never use old parts thats just cheap....only, only if i had just replaced it shortly before i do the swap...

i wasnt trying to sound like a dick head or anything i just think people should know that its not as hard to build a b16a as they think or that expensive compared to building a b18c or b20.... when it comes down to it when ever ur gonna build any motor and u want some good power its gonna cost some money.....
Old 09-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

o and yes that b16a all motor is no longer a 1.6 but a 1.8 all motor running 11's wouldnt be a 1.8l either, i believe the b16a was converted to a 2.0l and is indeed not only the fastest all motor b16a but the fastest all motor b-series motor, and guess what its a b16a block so i dont want to hear that the block is garbage cause its not... like i said everyone can sit here and think wat they want but i know wat i know, u sound like a pretty knowledgeable person, just like you i am also a tech and have experienced a lot and am also trying to learn new things, NEVER STOP LEARNING
Old 09-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

b16a are really good motors i personally still have one in my 91 hatch, all it has is a upgraded head with eveything redone to it and it makes really good power out of it with a stock bottom end. i will post my dyno graph later
Old 09-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice i would like to see the dyno, and N/A i dont want it to seem like im bashing ur advice w the upgrade to a 1.8 or 2.0 all in all its all good advice i just dont like when people say its pointless to biuld a b16a cause thats just plain wrong
Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej8siR *ftmfw*
I've got a '98 coupe with a JDM b16a siR II swap,
what bolt ons (besides i/h/e) can i do to improve power?
You can get:
Blox/Bpi velocity Stack
3 inch intake piping if you don't have it already
Skunk 2 pro series IM
Cams: skunk2 pro series/tuner series

here's a link to a guys that made decent power on his B16: http://clubeg6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=21027

Or you can just buy tuning stuff and learn how to tune your car yourself
Old 09-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and back to doin some upgrades for ur motor along w some of the other options a leightend fly wheel helps, lighter rims, that helps u gain back lost hp not add but gain back when u loose it through the drive train, um lets see theres this new gasket out there that goes in between the IM and head that helps keep intake temp down by 5% there for getting slightly more air for that fuel, and u can upgrade that fuel pump but then there goes ur gas milage, get a better fuel rail the carbon compsite.... just remember every little bit counts some people say naw it doesnt matter but when u beat him by a car or watever it is ur doing ya it counted
Old 09-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry the printer was running out of ink.
here is my dyno sheet
keep in mind this is a stock b16 bottom end
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow very nice, steady torque across the boards w great hp climb wat do u have done to the best if u dont mind
Old 09-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

head has all skunk2 internal with tuner2 cams mild port to the head and also a ported type r mani going to a 68mm throttle body. full straight pipe with no resonator and muffler super loud. took my tuner about 4 to tune the car.

Quick Reply: JDM B16a Mods?