Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   All Motor / Naturally Aspirated (https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/)
-   -   Itr pistons and rods in a GSR block ???? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/itr-pistons-rods-gsr-block-1855689/)

eg4life1202 01-05-2007 07:24 PM

Itr pistons and rods in a GSR block ????

what do i have to do to a gsr block to add type r pistons and rods

i will be using the stock gsr head and the stock gsr crankshaft

cherryhatch00 01-05-2007 07:27 PM

Basically..

Remove old pistons and rods.. get all your necessary materials..bearings..rings for the pistons.. WHATEVER YOU NEED.. And simply reverse the procedure, adding the new equipment as you go along.

eg4life1202 01-05-2007 07:49 PM

Re: Itr pistons and rods in a GSR block ???? (eg4life1202)

will i have to bore the the sleeves in the us gsr block or are the new type r pistons and rods just drop in with new rings and bearings ???

i found a set of itr pistons with itr rods for a good price

i'm just looking to see if i can just hone the block and drop in the used set of itr rods and pistons with new rings and bearings

cherryhatch00 01-05-2007 07:51 PM

A friend of mine put c5 pistons in his c1 block with no boring. He could've been blowing smoke up my ass but I don't think he was.

Richard... 01-06-2007 01:40 AM

Re: (cherryhatch00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cherryhatch00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A friend of mine put c5 pistons in his c1 block with no boring. He could've been blowing smoke up my ass but I don't think he was. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no your friend is right no bore needed just <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cherryhatch00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Basically..

Remove old pistons and rods.. get all your necessary materials..bearings..rings for the pistons.. WHATEVER YOU NEED.. And simply reverse the procedure, adding the new equipment as you go along. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats basically it

OH and for god sake do not forget to get your car re-tuned

doood 01-06-2007 11:52 AM

Re: (richard7968)

you might need a rehone depending on the condition of your sleeves. but other than that it's straight drop in with new bearings and rings.

Logan McGrew 11-29-2018 11:03 PM

Re: (cherryhatch00)

OH and for god sake do not forget to get your car re-tuned[/QUOTE]

I put c5 pistons and rods in my gsr block and didn’t get it tuned, and it runs fine, maybe a little rich, could that be why? And why would it need to be tuned? For gains or reliablity or just to have it run good? Because mine runs fine, just curious, thanks

DumpdEJ6 11-30-2018 12:20 PM

Re: Itr pistons and rods in a GSR block ????

You only *think* it's running fine. An engine is a complex assembly of parts rotating and moving at extremely high speeds synchronized with air, fuel, and spark operations that boggle the mind with the speed and accuracy of their split-second timing.

I can guarantee it is not running as well as it could, and that increases wear, decreases power, and shortens lifespan. If that's ok with you, then keep it how it is.

wunfstgsr 12-01-2018 07:07 PM

If its a virgin 81mm block with no issues a good hone would be fine, if the crank spun its always safe to over bore it to 81.5mm and use 81.5mm pistons.

Chrisfrom1986 12-01-2018 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr (Post 51793950)
If its a virgin 81mm block with no issues a good hone would be fine, if the crank spun its always safe to over bore it to 81.5mm and use 81.5mm pistons.

Why would you bore a block that spun the crank?

wunfstgsr 12-01-2018 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 (Post 51793985)
Why would you bore a block that spun the crank?

You don't really have to but if you spun a bearing and the piston scored the walls your gonna have a shop pull your pistons out and repair the crank so having the walls over bored is always safe for a better seal as to re honing it that's all. i would reccomend going .010"/.25mm over just to get the cyl. straight and round cause it takes about .010" to clean up the cyl.