All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

HP bump from CR bump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP bump from CR bump?

Hey All,
Is there a "rule of thumb" or formula for determining how much HP a bump in CR gives you?
I'm worried about the B16B I am about to put in my CRX. I strongly suspect it did not come from Japan direct, but went into another car before I got it. Has a scotchlok on the VSS wire, and carboned up cylinders with lean looking plugs(how does THAT happen?). So, If I put it in and it's worn out, I was going to drop the A in while rebuilding the B. It would be nothing to for me to drop a set of pistons in the A first, and have some horses while rebuilding the B.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2018, 03:55 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: HP bump from CR bump?

To answer your question, no. Every setup is different and supporting mods, age and maintenance all factor into how much power it will make regardless of CR.

Just do a compression test on it when you can and see where we're at.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ive heard its about 4% per full point of compression. ive never verified that though.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Compression in itself doesn't necessarily give you more power, in fact if you build a overly high comp motor without a proper cam choice you can end up loosing power by having a knock limited motor, fuel used Wont support the excessive cylinder pressure and high dynamic compression ratio. The way I see it is compression ratio should be used to raise your static compression ratio up to the point that makes you have a correct dynamic compression ratio for your cam choice.

Everyone knows what static comp is, your piston travels x far and displaced x amount of cc vs the amount of cc left in the cylinder head

the dimmed down version of what dynamic comp is is basically that your dynamic comp ratio is the same thing but doesn't start until the last intake valve closes.

Yes intake valve remain open for a brief period as the piston travels upwards on the compression stroke, they stay open longer with higher duration cams, hence where over camming something comes into play (one example is when you have a low static compression engine and induce large duration cams thus dropping your dynamic comp ratio to low and loosing cylinder pressure and power in turn)

the engine needs to operate harmoniously so you can't just throw some ctr pistons in a otherwise stock ls vtak and think sweet it's 3 points higher comp should make 12% more powa
Old 09-04-2018, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Also whites on the porcelain of the plug is common, usually means the motor was running good, people commonly mistake white porcelain for oh **** it's too lean, the wot afr is read off the deepest groove in the plug that you can't really see without cutting the plug apart or a light or some ****. Carbon build up is common for a used motor too especially if it wasn't railed on regularly.