Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

how much smoke is normal during break in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much smoke is normal during break in?

as topic states....anyone know??mine smokes pretty bad, but USUALLY only on acceleration..usually when i let off gas or am just cruising it dont smoke much..but sometimes it smokesall the time..stop lights and all motor has like 50 miles on it
Old 07-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much smoke is normal during break in? (GOLDBERG)

what is set-up? and what ems are you using if any to break in motor.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine, honestly, only smoked for maybe a couple of miles. and maybe on a start up or two.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:50 PM

Default Re: (soccaian)

omniman...go to school.

it all depends on the finish hone that was put on the cylinder wall. an engine with a 220 finish is gonna smoke for a minute or so, while an engine with a plateau hone will smoke for about 5 seconds. 380, the OEM finish, should smoke for half a minute, or so. it also depends on what you used to lube the parts during the build.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RABHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RABHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omniman...go to school.

it all depends on the finish hone that was put on the cylinder wall. an engine with a 220 finish is gonna smoke for a minute or so, while an engine with a plateau hone will smoke for about 5 seconds. 380, the OEM finish, should smoke for half a minute, or so. it also depends on what you used to lube the parts during the build.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok since the post clearly states that he has 50 miles which is way beyond your min/half min theory..Wouldn't Omni be correct in stating none?
Old 07-16-2004, 05:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RABHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omniman...go to school.

it all depends on the finish hone that was put on the cylinder wall. an engine with a 220 finish is gonna smoke for a minute or so, while an engine with a plateau hone will smoke for about 5 seconds. 380, the OEM finish, should smoke for half a minute, or so. it also depends on what you used to lube the parts during the build.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if omniman goes to school ...chances are he will be ther to teach all of us what to do!
Old 07-16-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: (vtecdamian)

welol imma give it somemore miles...i think maybe the engine builder installed the rings wrong or something...and doesnt want too admit it
Old 07-16-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Re: (GOLDBERG)

omniman dont know much. ya'll can hang from his nuts like school girls, but he isnt **** to me.

the engine is suffering blow by because you didnt get your **** done right the first time.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:37 PM

yup i think he messed up somehow this sux..hope he backs up his work and repairs it ...well see...give it some miles
Old 07-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RABHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omniman dont know much. ya'll can hang from his nuts like school girls, but he isnt **** to me.

the engine is suffering blow by because you didnt get your **** done right the first time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hope you werent calling me a nut swinger, I was just pointing out that what you said is the same as what he did for the relevence of this question that was asked.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RABHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omniman dont know much. ya'll can hang from his nuts like school girls, but he isnt **** to me.

the engine is suffering blow by because you didnt get your **** done right the first time. </TD></TR></TABLE>
every post RABhonda makes, he is always bashing on someone.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: how much smoke is normal during break in? (GOLDBERG)

hmmm well...so far one cylinders pressure is at 270psi....gotta go back down too the house and test the other 3...
Old 07-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (stock93cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock93cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
every post RABhonda makes, he is always bashing on someone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or short for CC.

Computer Comandos
Old 07-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BERT-O)

yeah, u didn't have it tuned properly before the breakin...

if you're at 16:1 a/f at idle instead of 14.7:1, you bet your butt those pistons are going to expand, and with no where to go they are gonna scrape the walls of your sleeves allowing oil to escape.

if your mixture was too rich, the fuel coul wash the oil off the walls of the sleeves and the same thing ends up happening.

so before you go do your 1000 mile break in, make sure the motor is tuned to the proper a/f ratio.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: (tegasaurus)

well my engine management was "supposed" too be here today but i dunno either wirespeed lied too me or usps is slackin in which case i'll get my money refunded by them but yeah..was supposed too get tuned tomorrow...now gotta wait a few more days...im running 310's right now so im not lean...but my plugs r black...

compression test done today..260 across the board.....started it up and idled it for like 15 minutes...NO SMOKE...was so happy..then started driving and whamooo smokey village everytime i press the gas then when i came home it was still smoking during idle now tho... anyone??gonna have a leakdown done tomorrow hopefully....engine doesnt even have 100 miles yet and has been smoking since mile 0 on startup
Old 07-17-2004, 06:18 PM

Default Re: (BERT-O)

the rings never seated.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BERT-O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Or short for CC.

Computer Comandos</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah...something like that. i just know more than you do, thats why i got attitude. i **** with ignorant kids like you almost daily. im waitin for one of you to try and "school" me about a b16, or maybe even a d16...oh, i ****** pray for that day to come. hell, i wanna see someone post up pics of an h22/del sol swap that looks so good you would swear Honda did it.
i had a kid probably just like you, even down to the decals on the car, try to tell me a d16 can rev out smoother than a b16...when i informed his *** about d series head cc's, he said, "that **** doesnt matter to me, i build the best OEM d-series engines in town...
Old 07-18-2004, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1.You are lacking social skills
2. This is a TECH forum
Old 07-18-2004, 08:48 AM
GSRswapandslow.

3. Rabhonda is a douche
4. he THINKS that he's a god
5. noone cares for him, or his opinions
Old 07-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, he's so great and omniman needs to go to school. Remind me again who invented ls/vtec and is in the b series shootout contest in import tuner again? Oh yeah, thats right, its omniman, not your narcissitic ***.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: (LsVtec92Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LsVtec92Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, he's so great and omniman needs to go to school. Remind me again who invented ls/vtec and is in the b series shootout contest in import tuner again? Oh yeah, thats right, its omniman, not your narcissitic ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

in 1994 at BCIT in Burnaby British Columbia i was doing my apprenticeship trades training, i passing through the HONDA training dept and asked some of the guys in the Honda program if anybody tried making the vtec head fit on a b18b, everybody laughed. i compared the gaskets a short while later, but was not the first to bolt it together, im sure of that.

how ya like that, 1994! years later i read about it on hybrid. haha

garett
Old 07-19-2004, 12:08 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RABHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the rings never seated.

yeah...something like that. i just know more than you do, thats why i got attitude. i **** with ignorant kids like you almost daily. im waitin for one of you to try and "school" me about a b16, or maybe even a d16...oh, i ****** pray for that day to come. hell, i wanna see someone post up pics of an h22/del sol swap that looks so good you would swear Honda did it.
i had a kid probably just like you, even down to the decals on the car, try to tell me a d16 can rev out smoother than a b16...when i informed his *** about d series head cc's, he said, "that **** doesnt matter to me, i build the best OEM d-series engines in town...</TD></TR></TABLE>
wow, when did this turn into a pissing contest? who the **** cares how much you "think" you know. do the world a favor and shoot yourself in the face. i hope the next waiter you get at dennys spritz's your drink with AIDS.
X-eric-X