Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

How to fix a seized motor (I need help!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix a seized motor (I need help!)

I have been working on my all motor build for about 7 years now. The motor has been built and sitting for 7 years. It has Golden Eagle sleeves and Wiseco 13.5 to 1 pistons. I just got back from deployment and I finally got the car together again. I went to turn over the motor, it would not turn. I pulled the plugs and put a little motor oil in the plug holes. I got the motor to break free and it would turn with the starter, but very slowly. I continued to turn it by hand using the crank bolt.

I got up yesterday morning and the motor would not turn by hand. I poured Marvel Mystery oil in the plug holes and 3 cylinders let the oil pass by. One still has not. I tried to turn it again, but now I am concerned for the crank. The crank bolt looks like it has been stressed and I don't want to strip the crank! Tomorrow I plan to loosen the A/C and alternator belts and see if I can get it to turn with a new crank bolt.

Are there any other recommendations to get this motor to turn? Is there another way to turn the motor besides the crank bolt?

I really need help here. This car has been a long standing project for me and I would hate to have to drop the motor and rebuild the bottom end.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to fix a seized motor (I need help!)

So the Marvel Mystery oil finally made it's way through all 4 cylinders, but I still could not get the motor to budge. I have put a mix of Super Penetrating lube, Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam in the spark plug holes. I will let it sit overnight and see if I can make any progress. I did remove the A/C and Alternator belts to help.

If anyone has any ideas please post them up, I have to fly back to Seattle next week and I would like to ship this car out to drive while I am stationed there.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im sure the bottom end has to be pulled out and recheck, i wouldn't risk driving a motor like that!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 092eg6
im sure the bottom end has to be pulled out and recheck, i wouldn't risk driving a motor like that!
true. pull the oil pan and pickup and then take the bottoms of the rods off and check the bearings. look at the cylinder walls as well.

unbolt the tranny and spin the flywheel im sure that would be easier then the crank bolt especially if its stripping.

how tight is the timing belt?