Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

How does one remove Arp rod bolts that are already machined in stock rods

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does one remove Arp rod bolts that are already machined in stock rods

I have some ls rods and they have arp rod bolts on them. I wanted to take them out since they were in good condition but I've tried all I can to get them out.. what should I do?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default re: How does one remove Arp rod bolts that are already machined in stock rods

you put the rod in a vice and hit it with a 12pt socket and an impact?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Re: How does one remove Arp rod bolts that are already machined in stock rods

Are you trying to remove them so that you can use them at a later date... or sell them ???
Old 05-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does one remove Arp rod bolts that are already machined in stock rods

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Are you trying to remove them so that you can use them at a later date... or sell them ???
I got them out and yes they were in great condition I'm planning on using them on h beams. I'm low on funds for the swap so it'll save me an extra $50 or $60 for a new set
Old 05-24-2018, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

They won't work with an aftermarket rod set... aftermarket rods use a single piece bolt while the ARP replacement bolts (for stock factory connecting rods) are actually special headed bolts used in conjunction with a matching cap nut. In addition, if you cannot say for certain how many times the used bolts have been used/torqued/loosened/re-torqued... I suggest you save up instead of placing your engine at risk.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They won't work with an aftermarket rod set... aftermarket rods use a single piece bolt while the ARP replacement bolts (for stock factory connecting rods) are actually special headed bolts used in conjunction with a matching cap nut. In addition, if you cannot say for certain how many times the used bolts have been used/torqued/loosened/re-torqued... I suggest you save up instead of placing your engine at risk.
Yeah sorry I'm very new at this I have little knowledge but I'm taking careful and assured steps to make sure I don't screw anything up.. thank you for telling me very appreciated
Old 05-24-2018, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I might as well just sell them
Old 05-26-2018, 04:45 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SanadaSand207
I might as well just sell them
No one will buy used ARP rod bolts that have been extracted with unknown use or tensile strength to them.. No one smart, anyway.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:54 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
No one will buy used ARP rod bolts that have been extracted with unknown use or tensile strength to them.. No one smart, anyway.
That rules out 5% of the honda bros on my facebook groups.