Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Skunk2 Pro1 cams with a lumpy idle passing emissions tests

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk2 Pro1 cams with a lumpy idle passing emissions tests

hi im in a planning phase for my motor which is a b16a 2ng gen . im mainly looking for response and peak hp like 9k plus. but at the same time be able to tune a chip to pass ca emissions with selected cams and compressions. i really like how pro 1 cams pull but i heard they wear out the valvetrain pretty fast. but onto my main point i love how the pro 1 idles. now when people tune these cams do they just raise the idle to cancel out the lope or is a afr or cam timming deal. i would like cams that would give me decent power and response with a lumpy idle is that doable?(ps im not talking vtec killer lumpy just a little cam lope) im looking to make 180 whp with pr3 pistons shaved head ect, or ctr pistons have not decided yet. and i come from a world of cammed out n/a cars so im doing this for the cool points per say or in my eyes make the car feel and sound knarly.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Skunk2 Pro1 cams with a lumpy idle passing emissions tests

Pro1 users don't cancel the lope out, because the correct degree of the camshaft involves keeping "the lopey idle". That's how power is made, and is more the priority over any emissions.
I've had Pro1s in one of my car for over 10 years; no rocker pad wear. Why? High ZDDP content oil, ensuring that the valvetrain that is properly valve-lashed. Regular maintenance, plain and simple.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Pro1 users don't cancel the lope out, because the correct degree of the camshaft involves keeping "the lopey idle". That's how power is made, and is more the priority over any emissions.
I've had Pro1s in one of my car for over 10 years; no rocker pad wear. Why? High ZDDP content oil, ensuring that the valvetrain that is properly valve-lashed. Regular maintenance, plain and simple.
i understand but how come i see some people on youtube with pro 1's with a "smooth" idle is that improper tunning. and i guess its like a old muscle car flat tappet cam dealio. thanks. and your telling me that pro 1's won pass emissions? even if i leaned out the map just for the rollers?
Old 03-19-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by crookson speed
i understand but how come i see some people on youtube with pro 1's with a "smooth" idle is that improper tunning. and i guess its like a old muscle car flat tappet cam dealio. thanks. and your telling me that pro 1's won pass emissions? even if i leaned out the map just for the rollers?
Yes.. smooth idle is not properly tune. From others' experience, they don't pass.. But not all emissions tests are the same. Some have sound and visual, others don't.
I have no personal experience with smog or emissions.

Here's a proper tune for Pro1s at idle.

Here's an RPM load test of the same cam, on my cousin's car
Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 Pro1 cams with a lumpy idle passing emissions tests

thanks dude you cleared things up for me
Old 03-20-2017, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by crookson speed
thanks dude you cleared things up for me
Old 03-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not pro 1 but pro 2...
Ive build the engine. Set the idle is no problem
Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Yes, I never said you couldn't change the idle, but that robs the entire powerband of the Pro2. It may sound normal, but you won't get the benefits of why you purchased them in the 1st place.
If you want OEM idle, stick with an OEM camshaft or something mild. You want it to do more, then understand that real camshafts are lumpy... Period.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had skunk2 pro2 camshafts in my b16a2 (have tuner 2s now, going boost and these will work better for my set up), idling around 800-1000rpms it loped like crazy or at least for a b16 anyways, ran that set up for many years and 40k+ miles before I tore it down for a top end refresh. I was also able to pass emissions on a stock ecu (just had to putt on over to the emissions place and hook it up) with those camshafts and many other bolt ons, emissions test where I live is just plugging the machine into the OBD2 port and checking for sensor readiness and check engine lights.