Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

H22 3 angle valve job??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 3 angle valve job??

Hey guys i got an h22 swaped ek.... recently bought a semi built head with crower spring an retainer... ferrea valves... ported intake side.......but then ive heard about poeple getting a 3 angle valve job when the port and polish there head, how do i know this does have a 3 angle valve job... what is a 3 angle valve job????........sorry noob question??
Old 12-22-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: H22 3 angle valve job?? (H-EK22)

Old 12-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotta take out the valve and look at the seat where the valve seats on. you should be able to look at the angles you have.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:48 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 3 angle valve job is considerd to be a "standard valve job" and is what most people get when they have a valve job done. It's where the valve touches/sits on its seat in the head that these angles are. They are cut into the valve to allow it to seal properly in the head. Different head porters use different angles to enhance air flow so not all "valve jobs" are considered equal if it's not a standard spec (stock) valve job. A 5 angle valve job means it has 5 different angles cut instead of three. A 3 angle done right is all most people ever need.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: H22 3 angle valve job?? (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a 3 angle valve job is considerd to be a "standard valve job" and is what most people get when they have a valve job done. It's where the valve touches/sits on its seat in the head that these angles are. They are cut into the valve to allow it to seal properly in the head. Different head porters use different angles to enhance air flow so not all "valve jobs" are considered equal if it's not a standard spec (stock) valve job. A 5 angle valve job means it has 5 different angles cut instead of three. A 3 angle done right is all most people ever need. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh ok thanks for answereing my question....so with aftermarket valves like Ferrea did they have to get the valve job done and if not should i go an have it done at the shop...like is it worth doing it???
Old 12-22-2007, 03:11 PM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-EK22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh ok thanks for answereing my question....so with aftermarket valves like Ferrea did they have to get the valve job done and if not should i go an have it done at the shop...like is it worth doing it???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anytime you replace valves with new ones or have your head ported, a valve job is mandatory.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Anytime you replace valves with new ones or have your head ported, a valve job is mandatory.</TD></TR></TABLE>A valve job is not required for changing valves if they are the same size,or just because it was ported.
A valve job is required if you change guides or go w/ oversize valves.
Yes,a valve job is where the most gain is found.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a 3 angle valve job is considerd to be a "standard valve job" and is what most people get when they have a valve job done. It's where the valve touches/sits on its seat in the head that these angles are. They are cut into the valve to allow it to seal properly in the head. Different head porters use different angles to enhance air flow so not all "valve jobs" are considered equal if it's not a standard spec (stock) valve job. A 5 angle valve job means it has 5 different angles cut instead of three. A 3 angle done right is all most people ever need. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well said
Old 12-22-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: H22 3 angle valve job?? (Fkned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fkned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A valve job is not required for changing valves if they are the same size,or just because it was ported.
Yes,a valve job is where the most gain is found.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would beg to differ. Every head is different. It depends on so many things that you can't make a blanket statement like that. It may not need a full valve job but they most definalty need to be lapped in.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 3 angle valve job?? (kpowerdhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kpowerdhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would beg to differ. Every head is different. It depends on so many things that you can't make a blanket statement like that. It may not need a full valve job but they most definalty need to be lapped in.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong
Old 12-22-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: H22 3 angle valve job?? (Combustion Contraption)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wrong </TD></TR></TABLE> Please explain why

Old 12-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In the old days of just using stones, and the old valve seat material, lapping was a necessary. But with todays tech, those old rules just dont apply anymore. Are you hurting anything by lapping? No. Is it absolutely necessary with every VJ as stated by kpoweredhatch? No.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kpowerdhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>Yes,I can make that blanket statment,because it's true.
Explain to me how one head to another head affects the valve job.The valve job has no idea what head it's on,it's a machined surface.

Thats like saying everytime you change the head gasket you need to have the head and block surfaced.

If the valve job is concentric,the valve is also concentric/ground at the same angle,and the right size it will work.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 PM

Good stuff guys............But whos right?????
Old 12-22-2007, 07:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-EK22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good stuff guys............But whos right?????</TD></TR></TABLE>Well considering both me and CC port heads,I would think it's us.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:58 PM

so i guess ill post some pics up an you guys can tell me if it had a valve job done, or ill just take it to the shop and have them tell me if i need it or not, THANKS.......................also do those valves look in good shape or need better pic thank H-T
Old 12-22-2007, 08:37 PM

Couldn't tell you that from pics

Old 12-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How can we tell if you have a VJ by looking at pics taken from 3 feet away with the valves installed and with what looks to be a cell phone camera?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there we go...

the three angles should be easily made out
Old 12-23-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Re: (wed3k)

You can tell the exh has had a fresh valve job ,but I can't see the int well enough.But I'd think it would also.Who does half a vj?
Old 12-23-2007, 08:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fkned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes,I can make that blanket statment,because it's true.
Explain to me how one head to another head affects the valve job.The valve job has no idea what head it's on,it's a machined surface.

Thats like saying everytime you change the head gasket you need to have the head and block surfaced.

If the valve job is concentric,the valve is also concentric/ground at the same angle,and the right size it will work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the head has had multiple valve jobs
Old 12-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock H22 with street valve job ... only thing changed was some Ferrea OEM sized valves

Old 12-23-2007, 10:09 AM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fkned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A valve job is not required for changing valves if they are the same size,or just because it was ported.
Yes,a valve job is where the most gain is found.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll clarify what I was getting at. If you're changing old valves for new ones, you should do a valve job to clean the seats up so the new valves will seat properly. A head with any amount of mileage and high RPM abuse on it will deform the seats over time.
Often times when a head is ported, it's not out of the question that the grinder could knick a valve seat or two which would require a valve job to allow the valve to re-seal itself. Also any decent porting job that I've ever seen always has a valve job done afterwards since that's where the most gains are often found.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:37 AM

Thaanks alot guys, all this info is really helping me out!!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 PM

If the head has had multiple valve jobs</TD></TR></TABLE>The amount of valve jobs has absolutely nothing to do with it,that has other implications.

IF the valve job is in good shape I can take a good valve from any other seat or other head and replace them w/o any trouble.Such as replacing the valves from seat 8 to seat 1 if they are all concentric they don't know what seat they are on.

Quick Reply: H22 3 angle valve job??