All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

GSR Block with PCT's and Pro3 Cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: GSR Block with PCT's and Pro3 Cams

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
Actually it wouldn't be, unless you were running VTEC killer cams. The whole purpose of VTEC allows you to daily drive on "large" cams without all the old school issues. 92TypeR on here, daily drives his ITR on pro 3's and pump gas without issue as do many others. He's running a 2L but the guys at King Motorsports routinely build over 12-13:1 compression motors that run large cams on the street on pump gas.

The biggest problem with H-T these days are all the blanket statements being thrown around, about what you can and can't do, without the real world experience to back it up.
I'll take this with a grain of salt, as I respect you and your knowledge, and I do see the angle you have. I have never said 100% it is not possible or can't be done. You provided me with 2 examples, but look at the qualifications of each...they are not the average joe motor builder in a garage with a helms manual. The "blanket statement" I am putting out there, I think almost anyone on here can agree with, is 90-95% of the users on H-T DO NOT have the knowledge or resources available to do builds such as these correctly, and try to go the cheap and easy way out, which gets them in trouble in the big end.

Originally Posted by dirtyharryhatch
I can def agree but sorry that chevelle sounds like ****. IMO. That thing needs a stroker asap or a BBC.
Not to pull the thread off topic BUT I'm sorry you think that...especially since you are the FIRST person to ever have a negative comment about the car. Could be the audio quality or the fact it was a cold start-up. Strokers are over-rated, and BBC's are twice as much to build. A 500RWHP SB 355 revving out to 7500 is way more fun to drive, especially w/ a 4 speed, that and a BB revs like a diesel, plus you actually have to build a SB...

Last edited by 93egSLEEPER; 12-07-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
A Digital Frontier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
Not to pull the thread off topic BUT I'm sorry you think that...especially since you are the FIRST person to ever have a negative comment about the car. Could be the audio quality or the fact it was a cold start-up. Strokers are over-rated, and BBC's are twice as much to build. A 500RWHP SB 355 revving out to 7500 is way more fun to drive, especially w/ a 4 speed, that a BB that revs like a diesel, plus you actually have to build it...
Im aware. you never listed mods.From my point of view i thought it was just some iron headed turd with a big *** cam (which i see so much down here). Not a fan of big blocks, just saying never really see small motor's run good in such a heavy car.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirtyharryhatch
Im aware. you never listed mods.From my point of view i thought it was just some iron headed turd with a big *** cam (which i see so much down here). Not a fan of big blocks, just saying never really see small motor's run good in such a heavy car.
Full build list in my "garage" on my profile. It's a ground up build, only thing still GM is the crank and rods. It runs mid 12's in the 1/4 weighing in at 3500-3600lbs plus a 230lb+ driver. Not one ounce of weight reduction has been done besides building the motor w/ aluminum parts. easily a 10 sec motor in a smaller chassis. I appreciate the criticism though and keeping it real....too many rednecks with big cammed **** boxes around I agree.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Going through my notes from my last Pro2'd CTR build i dont see the pro3 working unless the exhaust reliefs get opened up a little.

Also from what i gether from every H-T thread regarding CTR pistons is that we should only replicate ITR bottom ends and never push the envelope on stock displacement? High compression seems to be only ok on bigger displacement engines?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MikeySpec
Going through my notes from my last Pro2'd CTR build i dont see the pro3 working unless the exhaust reliefs get opened up a little.

Also from what i gether from every H-T thread regarding CTR pistons is that we should only replicate ITR bottom ends and never push the envelope on stock displacement? High compression seems to be only ok on bigger displacement engines?
why push the envelope right?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:59 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
I'll take this with a grain of salt, as I respect you and your knowledge, and I do see the angle you have. I have never said 100% it is not possible or can't be done. You provided me with 2 examples, but look at the qualifications of each...they are not the average joe motor builder in a garage with a helms manual. The "blanket statement" I am putting out there, I think almost anyone on here can agree with, is 90-95% of the users on H-T DO NOT have the knowledge or resources available to do builds such as these correctly, and try to go the cheap and easy way out, which gets them in trouble in the big end.

Thanks and I'm sorry if I came across harsh as it wasn't my intention, tone is hard to decipher over the internet.

My comment about blanket statements was made in general terms to what I see being posted in this thread and in this forum, a lot these days. The angle I was trying to take was more of one that simply says what is possible or what isn't. A build like what is being talked about here, can be done by anyone who takes their time and does it properly. A person that doesn't do those basic things will screw up a build no matter how simple or complex it may be, and that's really an issue regarding the individual and shouldn't be used to determine or state, "what is possible" or isn't.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The biggest problem with H-T these days are all the blanket statements being thrown around, about what you can and can't do, without the real world experience to back it up.
Sig worthy.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks and I'm sorry if I came across harsh as it wasn't my intention, tone is hard to decipher over the internet.

My comment about blanket statements was made in general terms to what I see being posted in this thread and in this forum, a lot these days. The angle I was trying to take was more of one that simply says what is possible or what isn't. A build like what is being talked about here, can be done by anyone who takes their time and does it properly. A person that doesn't do those basic things will screw up a build no matter how simple or complex it may be, and that's really an issue regarding the individual and shouldn't be used to determine or state, "what is possible" or isn't.
No offense taken and I didn't see it as "harsh". I work in a prison/law enforcement and deal with shitbags on a daily basis, I can take criticism, trust me.