Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Fuel choices

Old 08-24-2015, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel choices

So last year we ran VP C85 fuel, car worked very well and had no issues. After raising compression we didn't have good luck with it and went to E98(Ignite yellow) as it was available and have been using it since. I don't feel the car is making the power it should so I am looking to make a switch. FTW fuel would be nice to try but it's not available anywhere close to me and would be stupid expensive to get it here. I have access to the Ignite fuels as well as VP locally so those are my choices. So I have it down to three choices and there is not much info on people running them on all motor cars except for VP M5 methanol which is one of my choices. The other would be Ignite 114(Red), VP Import, or even Q16 as well as M5 which was mentioned earlier. As far as price goes, Import would be the highest, then Q16, and the M5 and Ignite red is about the same price. To run M5 I will need to change my pump so there is an additional cost there but wondering what people have found to work, I know Xenocron did a good fuel test with FTW black vs M5 but wondering if anyone has found good gains with Import or red as well.

A little bit of a back story to this, some of the E98 I have been using is a bit old, I do notice a difference when I put a fresh barrel to an older one as I should, looking to get away from this problem and make some more power.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel choices

Hmmmm, quiet room...I was also recommended C45 by a couple people who are making good power with it and it's cheaper than Import and just a bit more than Q16. Guys have seen 6-8whp gains from going to C45 from Q16 so that's another option I'm going to look at.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No experience with race fuels and tuning here, but I have done a good bit of reading on using Toluene as an additive to raise octane. You might find it interesting. It's supposedly an aromatic hydrocarbon which means it's in the same family as regular gasoline so its safe with all fuel systems, but it's octane is much much higher. Its supposedly what the fuel companies primarily use to raise the octane in their fuels.
Another additive I read about was Xylene. I believe it provided even more octane increase, but required a lubricant to be added like atf or MMO to it due to its "drying out" properties.
If your not looking for more octane, please disregard.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You may try the drag forum for some more insight. I've been recommended vp ms109 on some of my builds up to 14:1 compression.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After some recommendation from VP, I decided to go with VP C45 fuel. C45 is a relatively new fuel and is pretty much Q16 on steroids as they described. I haven't seen a lot of guys use it but the ones that are are reporting gains so here's hoping we see some more power out of it and the startup and running of the fuel is way better already, taking the car to the dyno this week for tuning. This has been a long expensive year, I hope to have some good luck this week and weekend as we have the last race before heading to Epping for IFO in October so it's the last race to get the car dialed in. We had some problems last tuning session and race and the car worked like crap, was misfiring and breaking down which led to some changes and a fuel change. Ran it's best ET and MPH though in the process so looking forward to a full good pass this weekend.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be interested to see what the C45 does since it has a lower octane rating than the C85
Old 09-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well after a very lengthy tuning session on the dyno with the new fuel, we learned a lot and ended up finding some power with it but took a long time to figure it out. The car previously had a misfire at the track, we attributed it to the headgasket that was leaking in cylinder 3 as I had reused it to get by after replacing the valvetrain from a catastrophic event....but that's another story. At the track the car was missing and breaking up top end but still managed to run 11.80s so I decided to switch fuels, new headgasket and figure some **** out and retune.

Now, I was told that C45 is very much like Q16 and likes to be close to 13 AF to make power and they were absolutely correct, however, we still had the misfire and breaking up top end which led me to believe I still had a problem. After swapping coils, plugs, wires, testing and cleaning injectors, dizzys, etc, we couldn't shake the misfire. So we decided to start from scratch and put the fuel really rich and go from there. Dial the AF at 12.0 and it killed the power, went up to 12.5 and made a bit of difference but from 12.5 to 13.5 it was about 20hp so we new it had to go leaner. As we went leaner the misfire came back and we new it was either pre-ignition or detonation and had to go richer. I was pretty bummed at the thought that I couldn't run it where it made really good power so decided to go back to 12.5 to be safe. Tuner decided to go the other way to see what happens, went down to 11.0 and the power came back up, went to 11.5 and it came up again, as we went above that the power went down. Decided to run it at 11.5 AF and it seemed to make good power, not 13.0 power but it wasn't breaking up. Timing didn't seem to help now that it was rich but all in all over the E98 it made a couple more peak hp, but 7-8 hp more all over the graph and 6-8 tq more the whole power band so the car should be better and runs way better and starts so much easier than on the E98. I went through 2 full barrels of the C45 on the dyno and didn't have enough left to go racing this weekend as my other fuel is still on order. Over the winter I will source some FTW red and run that, what I am paying for the C45 its only about 10 bucks difference on the FTW.

So was it worth the switch, yes and no, cost vs gains it's hard to say but for an all motor to pick up 8whp and 8 tq just from switching fuel, it's pretty good.