Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Feedback Appreciated: B16B Component List for Circuit/Hillside Racing -Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback Appreciated: B16B Component List for Circuit/Hillside Racing -Netherlands

Hi guys,

I've been searching the forum for a while now but I can't seem to find the answer so maybe someone can help me out.
First my setup:
b16b 1.8
Skunk2 pro2 cams
Skunk2 pro springs
Skunk2 titanium retainers
Skunk2 camgears
Skunk2 70mm TB
Edelbrock victor x intake
Toda replica exhaust header (looking for something better)
3 inch headerback
440cc rc injectors
255lph walbro fuel pump
Aem fpr
Cp pistons 12,5:1
Eagle rods
Bored and honed stock sleeves
B18 crank
Acl bearrings
Oil cooler (Setrab)
Tuned with Neptune

I was wondering if this is safe for track without cracking a sleeve or a valve kissing a piston. I'm running on 102 EU octane wich is about 97 us octane and it has good tune done on a dynapack.

I'm also still using oem headstuds and no block guard. Is that good enough for this setup?

Thanks!

Last edited by Michaelb16b; 05-08-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Feedback Appreciated: B16B Component List for Circuit/Hillside Racing -Netherlands

What kind of "Track" racing are you referring to? You have no location information, so no one can infer as to what you mean. In the U.S. "Track" racing has a connotative default to mean "drag racing'. That would help
As well as a location in your profile.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Feedback Appreciated: B16B Component List for Circuit/Hillside Racing -Netherlands

Originally Posted by TheShodan
What kind of "Track" racing are you referring to? You have no location information, so no one can infer as to what you mean. In the U.S. "Track" racing has a connotative default to mean "drag racing'. That would help
As well as a location in your profile.
I filled in the important bits on my profile. I've been on hondatech for a while but never made a profile.
I'm from the Netherlands and by track I mean a track with corners.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Michaelb16b
I filled in the important bits on my profile. I've been on hondatech for a while but never made a profile.
I'm from the Netherlands and by track I mean a track with corners.
Ah, well, that makes a big difference as to whether or not your "setup" is more optimal for the type of racing you're getting into. What works in one type of racing, doesn't really work well in others.
What I'll do is simply mark my comments in blue regarding your build components and see if any changes need to be done for circuit racing, hillclimbs, etc vs. just all out power creation.

I can't seem to find the answer so maybe someone can help me out.
You're not going to find direct answers for this type of question because of the fact that it deals with so many components that are based on your particular taste/preference for one reason or another. B-series Hondas are one of those platforms where there are an infinite number of combinations that are available based upon the owner's preference / utility / racing type that he or she is going to deal with. But, let's see what ya got, shall we?

First my setup:
b16b 1.8
Skunk2 pro2 cams
Skunk2 pro springs
Skunk2 titanium retainers
Skunk2 cam gears
Skunk2 70mm TB
Edelbrock victor x intake - Wrong intake manifold for the wrong type of racing. These large plenum manifolds are going to hurt your ability to make good torque at the rpm range that you're going to see most, even on hillclimbs. You were better off with the Pro Series (at minimum) or the Ultra Street Intake manifold. But the Victor X, no. This was an error to purchase.

Toda replica exhaust header (looking for plm or skunk2) - Do not use a PLM header. Not only is the construction material not that great but the design of that header is made for drag racing and peak power. This is why I asked the type of racing that you're performing as that header style are made for top end peak power over 2.0 litres, and not very well based for RPMs like circuit or hillclimb. Keep your Toda Replica (as long as it was from a good fabricator) or go Skunk2 Alpha. You're a B16B, not a B20+ sized engine.
3 inch headerback
Aem fpr - As long as you have the matching fuel rail, why not? It can't hurt, but doesn't necessarily help.
Cp pistons 12,5:1
Eagle rods
Bored and honed stock sleeves
B18 crank
Acl bearrings -OEM bearings would have been fine. ACL "Race" Bearings (from my experience) really work in Drag racing for short durations. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. OEM is fine.
Oil cooler - Make sure whichever oil cooler you get utilizes an internal oil thermostat (It's becoming more of a standard, but be sure before purchasing) otherwise, you could easily starve the engine of oil at cold start because the oil cooler is being used when it shouldn't and that can cause bearing damage to the crankshaft or rods.

I see nothing in the way of injector upgrade/Fuel Pump Upgrades, especially for the use of the Pro2 camshafts. You'd need about 310cc-420cc (Acura RDX comes to mind, as well as the smaller High Impedence Bosch Style injectors). Raising fuel pressure can work, but can prematurely wear out components within the fuel system (stock pump, stock 240cc injectors), and with your static compression being what it is, that's asking for trouble. Even a simple Walboro 255 (G42) swap-in fuel pump with a slightly larger injector will make a huge difference in the power potential of your Skunk2 Pro 2s.

I also don't see any Engine Management System. Be it Hondata, AEM EMS, or some other form of engine management, you might as well stay with stock components for the entire engine if this isn't addressed. Without this, you'll be at a standstill very quickly.

I was wondering if this is safe for track without cracking a sleeve or a valve kissing a piston. I'm running on 102 EU octane wich is about 97 us octane and it has good tune done on a dynapack.

I'm also still using oem headstuds and no block guard. Is that good enough for this setup?

You don't need headstuds, and you'll make things even worse by attempting to install a block guard. This isn't a turbocharger project, so these items aren't remotely necessary. The ARP headstuds are more for piece of mind and use, but they need to be installed properly (along with degreeing your camshafts) and without the management as I stated before, this will put a stop to your build. Your fuel octane is fine for this compression, (along with proper tuning/mapping)

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Setup safe for track

Ah, well, that makes a big difference as to whether or not your "setup" is more optimal for the type of racing you're getting into. What works in one type of racing, doesn't really work well in others.
What I'll do is simply mark my comments in blue regarding your build components and see if any changes need to be done for circuit racing, hillclimbs, etc vs. just all out power creation.
First of all, thanks for the great answer to my questions.
Second, I forgot to mention a couple a things wich are my injectors. I have 440cc rc injectors and the engine is tuned using Neptune.
I'm also using a 255 lph walbro fuel pump.

You were talking about the engine is still a b16b but now, I think the motor is more equal to a b18c doesn't it? because it is stroked to a 1.8. Does that change your exhaust manifold answer or still the same?
I'll probably switch to a skunk2 intake in the near future.
Oil cooler is setrab with thermostat so that should be fine.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:06 AM

First of all, thanks for the great answer to my questions.
Second, I forgot to mention a couple a things wich are my injectors. I have 440cc rc injectors and the engine is tuned using Neptune.
I'm also using a 255 lph walbro fuel pump.

You were talking about the engine is still a b16b but now, I think the motor is more equal to a b18c doesn't it? because it is stroked to a 1.8. Does that change your exhaust manifold answer or still the same?
I'll probably switch to a skunk2 intake in the near future.
Oil cooler is setrab with thermostat so that should be fine.
Glad you brought those up, go ahead and edit your list to include those items (injectors, fuel pump, Setrab Oil Cooler & Neptune). In those cases of components you're good to go.
That will give the reader those things to consider as you get additional suggestions.

Simply going to a 1.8 litre does not change my answer regarding the exhaust manifold or intake manifold, as I stated in my previous answer the following:

This is why I asked the type of racing that you're performing as that header style are made for top end peak power over 2.0 litres, and not very well based for RPMs like circuit or hillclimb. Keep your Toda Replica (as long as it was from a good fabricator) or go Skunk2 Alpha. You're a B16B, not a B20+ sized engine.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you brought those up, go ahead and edit your list to include those items (injectors, fuel pump, Setrab Oil Cooler & Neptune). In those cases of components you're good to go.
That will give the reader those things to consider as you get additional suggestions.

Simply going to a 1.8 litre does not change my answer regarding the exhaust manifold or intake manifold, as I stated in my previous answer the following:
Thanks man, much appreciated. I completed the list with the forgotten parts!
Old 05-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Feedback Appreciated: B16B Component List for Circuit/Hillside Racing -Netherland

try to find a performer x manifold since you're using a 1.8L engine. or maybe Skunk2 Ultra Street intake manifold.