Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

F2k swapped bb1, fwd f22c1 prelude

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F2k swapped bb1, fwd f22c1 prelude

I think its about time we see a f20c or a f22c in a prelude fwd so I am debating on dropping my current Euro R swap daily driver prelude for a more unique setup. Yes it will cost 8-10k more then a euro r swap but who has a f20c fwd prelude? No one and that's a great reason why to do it. Plus a stock f20c1 locally fwd in an eg pulls all 3 local j32a2 swapped egs by about 4 cars on average up top to 100-120mph and did It with no tune I'm guessing due to its far more aggressive factory powerband regardless of having less power on paper so there is another point for the f20c. I've had J swaps and love them, still favor H series, but every time I drive an s2k, I think "wow this should have been an optional engine in a fwd car like the last prelude or something and not just in the s2k", but alas this is not the case. Now a K series trans will do fine IMO, and I'm sure a friend could make an adapter plate for the trans with little issue so at this point since the s2k is a long discontinued car, it seems like a real feasible swap. Price is high yes, but I think It will be a serious eye catcher and potent racer at Honda shows.

Any imput, thoughts, reasons why not to? Resources as well as knowledge on drastic Honda swaps are all covered here so I know how hard this swap will be, but I did a J swap in 07 when it wasn't even heard of so I'm sure this won't be too hard for a few long time Honda guys with a goal.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: F2k swapped bb1, fwd f22c1 prelude

Originally Posted by All motor Mike

Any imput, thoughts, reasons why not to?
yea, why spend that much money to go slower than a basic k24a2 swap? if being different is worth the extra money, then go for it. i would have a difficult time justifying the cost to have what will end up being a low 13 - high 12 second car AT BEST
Old 08-14-2018, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1
yea, why spend that much money to go slower than a basic k24a2 swap? if being different is worth the extra money, then go for it. i would have a difficult time justifying the cost to have what will end up being a low 13 - high 12 second car AT BEST
Or an even simpler, cheaper, well built H2B swap that would have almost the same output.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It’s not all for going fast, honestly I’d personally leave it all OEM stuff except header and what not as I was with the euro r. If it was a drag car, I’d just use a crx and a turbo j32. I even have full interior in it so this is no weekend warrior, it’s a DD. Another thing to take into consideration is the simple stock specs of the f20/22’s, aside from a mugen modified RR k22 they are top as far as OEM N/A output goes. Civics run 12.4-12.7 f2k at high elevation consistently on good tires, so a full interior bb1 is looking at mid to high 13s I estimate with a f20/22, and that’s enough for a daily if you ask me. I’ve always been for different though, most people hated on H swaps bad in the early years and went so far as to spread mass rumors of them being unreliable and less capable then B series. I still put a h22 in my civic back then, and beat it hard for years running 14s on street tires no lsd, no tune without an issue. I’m old now, and have no urge to race everywhere. Lastly, who can argue that the s2000 is the best sounding honda engine OEM, other then maybe the old 86 a20 F.I. preludes that sounded crazy mean with the weird intake air chambers and hardly could get out of their own way though.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

it would be a cool swap, no doubt. i say go for it if thats what you want. i just couldnt justify it for myself. ive been down that road (ie: spending more money than necessary for the wow factor) and nowadays i just figure out a reasonably priced way to enjoy my car and go fast.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'd probably need an AEM or Haltech ECU, obviously custom mounts, some sort of cables for shifting on the K transmission (not sure if Ktuned or Hybrid has cables for Prelude swaps) and also some sort of modified oil pan or baffling as the engine will be oriented and sitting in a different direction, putting the oil pickup at risk for starving in certain situations.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
You'd probably need an AEM or Haltech ECU, obviously custom mounts, some sort of cables for shifting on the K transmission (not sure if Ktuned or Hybrid has cables for Prelude swaps) and also some sort of modified oil pan or baffling as the engine will be oriented and sitting in a different direction, putting the oil pickup at risk for starving in certain situations.
I have AEM Infiniti so I'll likely use that, mounts we will do ourself, K/H/F/J shifter setups all are similar and I've used them all for j/k swaps so I'm sure I can mod the stock lude one to work with the K trans but the oil feed/pan issue I never thought of so that will have to be addressed when I am building the mounts. I am keeping an eye out for a good priced F20/22c but once I get one the swap will start 👌

I was gonna get the inline pro f2k kit but I have heard nothing but bad things about it unfortunaly, not as direct as they try to make you think and $4k for some adapters and a clutch is freaking nuts so I'm gonna make the adapters myself. I may run a K20 RRC intake manifold but I'd need another adapter so I'm up in the air about that part, and the f20c intakes may be even better then the RRC or RBC anyway, would love some Imput on that as I've never seen a comparison.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never seen a direct comparison between the S2K intake manifolds and the RBC, but I know plenty of people on S2KI will run the stock intakes on 600+WHP cars. I'd probably just leave it with that one.

And yeah, you'll definitely need to do something about the baffling/oil pan, otherwise when you launch the car forward or put it in an uphill, forward acceleration load you're going to be putting the pickup in a prime location to starve for oil and drop pressure.