Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

F22a1 cylinder wall vs forged pistons

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F22a1 sleeves vs forged pistons

As the subject line states, I have a F22a1 engine (92 Accord LX) that I want to do a all-motor high compression build-up on. However, in talking with some people, I was told that these F22 engine have a iron composite cylinder wall? Anyways, I called Race Engineering and talked to a guy, and he tells me it's specifically called "Nikasil"? So I did research on this Nikasil, and it is a cylinder coating that is nickel and silicone based. It provides durable wear characteristics and good cylinder wall lubrication. However, if I am to install forged pistons into Nikasil coated cylinders, they wil wear fast and the proper way is to resleeve your block with ductile iron sleeves, then go with forged aluminum alloy pistons.

Before I get carried away with resleeving the block (which defeats my budgeting goals), can you knowledgeable people here verify that 90-93 Honda Accords came with Nikasil coated cylinders? If not that, then what specific material/coating did they come with?

No one has given me a satisfying explanation on this matter and yet I have many people acting like you can go ahead and throw in forged pistons into any block setup. It's very frustrating.

Thanks for any help.

Modified by HondaFan81 at 6:02 PM 5/5/2004
Old 05-05-2004, 09:56 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've only heard of h22's coming with this, but i've never done too much research on f series.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

Well, I called Arias Pistons and they told me cast iron. I called RS Machine (they do sleeving work) and they said cast iron sleeves for the F22 as well.

I did a search on this in this forum and found many threads, and a majority said iron sleeves, but there was also alot of controversial info.

Just posting this as "follow-up" info for anyone.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Old Schooler

Default Re: (HondaFan81)

HondaFan I believe I spoke to you today when you called Arias.
To be technical Honda blocks do not have a true nikasil lined sleeve. The process goes like this When Honda pours the aluminum for there blocks they have a fiber similar to fiberglass that is laid into the sleeve and when the hot aluminum touches the sleeve it burns the fiber into the steel. I may be wrong on the actual process but I do know that Honda block is not nikasil. When we get our motorcycle sleeves back from the nikasil coater we can run a conventional xc style ring with them with no problem. With the Honda block it is very difficult to seal rings on the fiber reinforced steel sleeves. This is why piston manufactures suggest that you re sleeve your honda H22 and H23 blocks. Again I may be wrong about this so if anyone knows more about this please let me know.