Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Engine knock or just pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine knock or just pistons?

i have a b18c1 with what is either. A type R or b16A JDM Head. On start up it makes a knock sound but is mostly noticeable when cold and kind of goes away when it warms up. I was told it was the aluminum pistons and that it always did that since the motor only has about 15K miles on it after rebuild and I do trust him since it’s someone I’ve known for a while that j got it from. It has golden eagle rods, sleeves and pistons 84.5. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Old 04-12-2018, 04:45 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Engine knock or just pistons?

Some types of material used in forged pistons will contract at low temperatures and expand to fit better at high temps, so it's possible. I'm not an expert, but I don't think rod knock really goes away once it's warmed up, so I'd say it's more likely your friend is correct. The only way to be sure is to tear it down and check bearings and clearances, which is why I built my engine myself. It's hard to trust that even if someone isn't deliberately screwing you, they still might just be misinformed.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine knock or just pistons?

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
Some types of material used in forged pistons will contract at low temperatures and expand to fit better at high temps, so it's possible. I'm not an expert, but I don't think rod knock really goes away once it's warmed up, so I'd say it's more likely your friend is correct. The only way to be sure is to tear it down and check bearings and clearances, which is why I built my engine myself. It's hard to trust that even if someone isn't deliberately screwing you, they still might just be misinformed.
thanks a lot man that’s de finitely reassuring. I felt the same way I was afraid maybe he could have been wrong himself at most. But I believe he said they were aluminum if that helps anyone. And even when warm you do hear it but not nearly as much. On startup it sounds almost like a diesel lmao