Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Engine assembly checklist Inquirybefore a tune: What should it consist of?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine assembly checklist Inquirybefore a tune: What should it consist of?

I finally got my build of six years together and in working order. I’ve got Driven conventional 5w30 break in oil in the engine. OBD1 P28 with Hondata S300. B18A1 Block. 9.6:1 compression pistons. B18A1 head with stock cams. Dual valve springs and retainers. I’m running just a simple air intake and stock OEM injectors while I’m breaking in the engine. But I have a GSR LSD transmission. Stage 4 competition clutch. And I turned off VTEC on my ecu. Turned it onto the B18B1 (P74) selection. (Closest to B18A1) I’m new to all this. Can you guys give me some suggestions while I’m breaking in the engine still and seating the rings? I ran it maybe 15 minutes today and it was smoking like it was burning oil but this is supposed to happen when sitting the rings. I turned it off and it still was smoking a little when I started later. It will get to the point where it stops smoking. But then after I let it sit a little while and start it up again it smokes again. Brand new cometic headgasket. I’m checking if I’m doing anything wrong. Tips, pointers, information, and suggestions are all appreciated. At about ~6k RPMS I lose acceleration it seems. That makes me think maybe the settings I did on my Hondata weren’t saved correctly by me and it’s trying to run VTEC? I’m lost guys. Here to learn. Let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by lolv8s; 04-28-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Engine assembly checklist Inquirybefore a tune: What should it consist of?

​​​​​

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/jeff-evans-videos-tuning-tips-checklists-your-car-3314503/

That's the general running checklist and prep area you want to see first. Check out other sections and even Google regarding what to expect during engine break-in. Much of the symptoms depend on how you have assembled your engine, and what specifications you've set your pistons, rods, clearances, bearing clearances, etc.

Previous this might be best in the engine assembly section, and not the tuning section..

​​​​​
Old 04-28-2018, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine assembly checklist Inquirybefore a tune: What should it consist of?

Originally Posted by TheShodan
​​​​​

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/jeff-evans-videos-tuning-tips-checklists-your-car-3314503/

That's the general running checklist and prep area you want to see first. Check out other sections and even Google regarding what to expect during engine break-in. Much of the symptoms depend on how you have assembled your engine, and what specifications you've set your pistons, rods, clearances, bearing clearances, etc.

Previous this might be best in the engine assembly section, and not the tuning section..

​​​​​
I’ll check it out. Thanks!