Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

ej_jake's quest to create a H2B/H22A4 build for a street/strip purpose

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ej_jake's quest to create a H2B/H22A4 build for a street/strip purpose

Hey guys I'm looking into building my h22a4 h2b da9. I'e looking into good way to build the head on the a4 and seem to have a good set up for it right now. I' just looking to see if anyone has a better set up? Wanting to go street/drag car. I'e looked into pro 1 cams skunk2 intake and throttle body and skunk 2 retainers. Anyone have a good set up besides this one? Mainly looking into all motor builds.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: ej_jake's quest to create a H2B/H22A4 build for a street/strip purpose

Pro1 cams work well. Valve springs and retainers.
I'd recommend a gutted and ported stock intake manifold and a 70mm throttle body.

Are you wanting to run the stock bottom end and head ports?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: ej_jake's quest to create a H2B/H22A4 build for a street/strip purpose

Originally Posted by bauergold
Pro1 cams work well. Valve springs and retainers.
I'd recommend a gutted and ported stock intake manifold and a 70mm throttle body.

Are you wanting to run the stock bottom end and head ports?
yeah I was wanting to run stock bottom end on it.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

youre on the right track. guys have gone 10s on stock block h2b setups. pro 1 or 2s with porting and a good intake/throttle body would work well together. you will need to upgrade valve springs (at a minimum) to use cams that big. I recommend contacting 4 piston cylinder heads and just getting a complete head package.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1
youre on the right track. guys have gone 10s on stock block h2b setups. pro 1 or 2s with porting and a good intake/throttle body would work well together. you will need to upgrade valve springs (at a minimum) to use cams that big. I recommend contacting 4 piston cylinder heads and just getting a complete head package.
Well I wanted to do it all myself is the thing. How much for the whole package? What does it all come with? Also what valve springs are good to go with? Will I need new retainers or just the springs?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

even if you buy a head package from 4p you will still have to bolt in the cams and degree it yourself. they would only be assembling the valves/springs/retainers/etc. or you could just pay them for porting and buy the rest of the stuff on your own, either way, cant go wrong with their heads.

Pro H22 CNC Head | 4 Piston Racing
Old 12-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even if you buy a head package from 4p you will still have to bolt in the cams and degree it yourself. they would only be assembling the valves/springs/retainers/etc. or you could just pay them for porting and buy the rest of the stuff on your own, either way, cant go wrong with their heads.

Pro H22 CNC Head 4 Piston Racing
now would it be best to go with that head or is it a good idea to go out and pull the head off of mine when have it done at a machine shop? Also again what are some good valves and valve springs/retainer set if I decided to just stick with the head I have? Right now I'm pretty set on the skunk 2 pro 1 cams.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

I did a h2b a few years back, use OE type s pistons and a single layer head gasket comes out to like 11.2 to 1. I ran a crower cam with springs and retainers all crower. I prefer tool steel retainers to anything else for the street. Eliminate the balance shafts, KS has a kit- i did mine with a tap and plugs as the engine was out. Ported (gutted) stock intake with a bigger throttle body- don't recall size.
Head was also ported and I ran a tri-Y stepped header. My clutch was a big puc style, which sucked for the street. Tranny was a 98 ITR with OEM LSD. Konig feathers and some sticky tires.

Fun car, but was a terrible daily. rattled like crazy but never lost a race. never tracked it but it was quick.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93h2beg
I did a h2b a few years back, use OE type s pistons and a single layer head gasket comes out to like 11.2 to 1. I ran a crower cam with springs and retainers all crower. I prefer tool steel retainers to anything else for the street. Eliminate the balance shafts, KS has a kit- i did mine with a tap and plugs as the engine was out. Ported (gutted) stock intake with a bigger throttle body- don't recall size.
Head was also ported and I ran a tri-Y stepped header. My clutch was a big puc style, which sucked for the street. Tranny was a 98 ITR with OEM LSD. Konig feathers and some sticky tires.

Fun car, but was a terrible daily. rattled like crazy but never lost a race. never tracked it but it was quick.
well this car isn't gonna be a daily 😂. I gotta nice daily. This one is my play car so I'm looking into how to make it a good quick car for fun and messing people up with race wise haha
Old 12-11-2017, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93h2beg

Where did you take your head to be ported? Was it just ported and not polished?
Old 12-13-2017, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ej_jake's quest to create a H2B/H22A4 build for a street/strip purpose

Pro1 cams are super small, too small for a 35mm valve and bigger than 89mm stroke H series. Start with pro2 cams for stock block. I dont have much experience on H series but from what i've been seeing from friends/associates is that those ported manifolds do work on those H series. If you know what you want for camshaft duration and depending on your budget, you could also go custom camshafts.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ej_jake's quest to create a H2B/H22A4 build for a street/strip purpose

Originally Posted by vtecmaster85
Pro1 cams are super small, too small for a 35mm valve and bigger than 89mm stroke H series. Start with pro2 cams for stock block. I dont have much experience on H series but from what i've been seeing from friends/associates is that those ported manifolds do work on those H series. If you know what you want for camshaft duration and depending on your budget, you could also go custom camshafts.
I'll look into the pro2s. I don't know why but I thought you couldn't run those on stock block. I might've read it somewhere but not sure but thanks for pretty much confirming that you can.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For those people running 10s what kinda fuel were they running? Do they have bigger injectors? For the pro 2 cams would it be best to run a bigger injector and better fuel rail and bigger fuel pump. Itd be best with a tune but what other mods would anything fuel wise be necessary?
Old 12-18-2017, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej_jake
For those people running 10s what kinda fuel were they running? Do they have bigger injectors? For the pro 2 cams would it be best to run a bigger injector and better fuel rail and bigger fuel pump. Itd be best with a tune but what other mods would anything fuel wise be necessary?
the stock block guys running 10's (high 10's) have very fancy cylinder heads and induction to be honest. it would require alot of money to get into the 10's. if money isnt a big deal you would need a ported head, pro 3 cams or similar, kinsler itbs, a nice race header and methanol (m1, m5, ftw black.) methanol has huge fuel requirements so most all motor guys are using around 1300cc injectors with methanol compatible fuel systems which can cost upward of $1500.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the stock block guys running 10's (high 10's) have very fancy cylinder heads and induction to be honest. it would require alot of money to get into the 10's. if money isnt a big deal you would need a ported head, pro 3 cams or similar, kinsler itbs, a nice race header and methanol (m1, m5, ftw black.) methanol has huge fuel requirements so most all motor guys are using around 1300cc injectors with methanol compatible fuel systems which can cost upward of $1500.
yeah I sorta figured it be something like that. I was just curious. I may go with the pro 2 cams and skunk intake with 70mm throttle body port the head and tune. Be a good idea to go ahead and re ring it too probably since I would wanna rev it pretty high. Any one have dyno sheets of a setup similar to This? Would love to see power and torque gains even if it' just a little. Right now stock I'm putting 171 wheel and 145 torque. Really wanting at least 220 or so if possible from that setup
Old 12-19-2017, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I sorta figured it be something like that. I was just curious. I may go with the pro 2 cams and skunk intake with 70mm throttle body port the head and tune. Be a good idea to go ahead and re ring it too probably since I would wanna rev it pretty high. Any one have dyno sheets of a setup similar to This? Would love to see power and torque gains even if it' just a little. Right now stock I'm putting 171 wheel and 145 torque. Really wanting at least 220 or so if possible from that setup
for a street engine pro 2s are pretty good. big enough to make power, not so big that it isnt streetable. with good supporting bolt ons and head work, 220 shouldnt be difficult at all. if you look in the hybrid forum theres a sticky at the top labeled h2b/f2b faq. theres lots of dynos and info in there. i think there is actually a separate h22 dyno thread as well. search google instead of the HT search function.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I predict with worked IM(intake manifold) and good header, e85, B series trans, e85 and pro 2 cams you should see over 220 even on stock block. Pro 2 measure out to be about 260/266 duration at .050 but these cams were designed for B series using 33mm intake valves. I dont see why with more stroke and slightly better flowing head with bigger valves why a 260/266 cam on stock compression wouldnt warrant good power when I had a friend make over 200 on stock b18c type r block with pro2 cams. Those worked IMs seem to be the ticket with H series engines even on stock cams.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for a street engine pro 2s are pretty good. big enough to make power, not so big that it isnt streetable. with good supporting bolt ons and head work, 220 shouldnt be difficult at all. if you look in the hybrid forum theres a sticky at the top labeled h2b/f2b faq. theres lots of dynos and info in there. i think there is actually a separate h22 dyno thread as well. search google instead of the HT search function.
awesome thanks man. That'l help decide which cams I'd like to go with
Old 12-20-2017, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtecmaster85
I predict with worked IM(intake manifold) and good header, e85, B series trans, e85 and pro 2 cams you should see over 220 even on stock block. Pro 2 measure out to be about 260/266 duration at .050 but these cams were designed for B series using 33mm intake valves. I dont see why with more stroke and slightly better flowing head with bigger valves why a 260/266 cam on stock compression wouldnt warrant good power when I had a friend make over 200 on stock b18c type r block with pro2 cams. Those worked IMs seem to be the ticket with H series engines even on stock cams.
wouldn' e85 be bad for stock block or just be bad for the fuel system? I know e85 you need huge injectors and fuel pump to run all that but wouldn' you have yo up compression too?
Old 12-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wouldn' e85 be bad for stock block or just be bad for the fuel system? I know e85 you need huge injectors and fuel pump to run all that but wouldn' you have yo up compression too?
e85 can be beneficial with any compression ratio. with higher compression you stand to benefit more because of how much timing you can run. ideally you should replace the whole fuel system (pump, lines, filter, injectors) but there are guys that run e85 with stock fuel lines. with e85 you wouldnt need the same size injectors as you would for methanol. you could get away with 750-1000cc. ethanol compatible pumps arent too expensive either. if i lived where e85 was plentiful i would definitely have my car tuned with a flex fuel system. its race gas for $2/gal and you can get it at the gas station. doesnt get much better for a street car (unless you live where its super cold.)
edit: i think you could still clear 220whp with 93 octane. e85 would just be a nice 3-5% bonus.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

e85 can be beneficial with any compression ratio. with higher compression you stand to benefit more because of how much timing you can run. ideally you should replace the whole fuel system (pump, lines, filter, injectors) but there are guys that run e85 with stock fuel lines. with e85 you wouldnt need the same size injectors as you would for methanol. you could get away with 750-1000cc. ethanol compatible pumps arent too expensive either. if i lived where e85 was plentiful i would definitely have my car tuned with a flex fuel system. its race gas for $2/gal and you can get it at the gas station. doesnt get much better for a street car (unless you live where its super cold.)
edit: i think you could still clear 220whp with 93 octane. e85 would just be a nice 3-5% bonus.
yeah I was thinking just running 93 since it's a lot easier to find and it' already on 93. Any kind of power upgrade is nice really. I'e read the pro 2 cams can help rev to 9k so ill prolly end up going for that but re ring it and all that nice stuff. Thanks for the input and advice. Helps a when you actually have opinions and pros and cons on some things
Old 12-21-2017, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now with the pro2 cams I know recommendd is the pro series valve springs from skunk 2 but is it possible to run other valve springs like suprtech or ferra springs and retainers?
Old 12-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless the engine you have is burning oil, I would not re-ring it. H22s have FRM sleeves. It isn't as simple as just honing the cylinders like it is with other Honda engines that have iron/steel sleeves. Some shops do not have the equipment to work on FRM sleeves and the ones that do charge A LOT to do it.
pro2s can make power to 9k but valvetrain is what allows you to rev that high. Choose quality springs etc. You can use any brand but it's hard to go wrong with ferrea dual springs & 6000s in my opinion.
the bolt ons you choose are just as important in making power that high up. A stock h22 intake won't support power that high up. Port the oem one and remove the IABs, get a skunk 2, or use a k series adapter and use an RBC.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ Excellent advice here. the ported manifolds seem to unlock performance in h series engines. I think RBC will work too seeing a ported one on a k24a2 with regrind oem cams supported 272 on a friends 87.5mm setup with low cylinder compression lol. The RBC was ported though.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW when i used e85 i used oem fuel lines just whatever else is needed for the car to run on e85. But on 93 octane pro 2s and h22 should do well.

Quick Reply: ej_jake's quest to create a H2B/H22A4 build for a street/strip purpose