Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

dyno tuning... is it worth it? read pls.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno tuning... is it worth it? read pls.

Ok, first let me say I do not live in the states I live in Panama we have no dynos adn the nearest one is in the country next to us.. CostaRica, its about a 10 to 12 hour drive fm Panama and also if you go you are going to need to stay for at least 2 days.
I'm debating on drving over there to tune my car, Panama is at sea level and Costa Rica is about 1100 meters above sea level and we kinda have the same weather, hot and humid.
Will it be worth the drive to tune?
Won't my tuning be off when I drive down back to Panama again??

I'm debating this with some friends that are saying that it's not worth it cause the car will be tuned to drive around CostaRica not Panama that my car will be out of tune when I come back.

Help me decide pls.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:46 PM

Default Re: dyno tuning... is it worth it? read pls. (PanamaVTI)

Why don't some of you guys get together and get a dyno? The last time I went to Panama to tune I was literally mobbed by people daily that wanted me to help them out. Lot's of nice cars with much potential, but nobody around to set them up. The guys who had paid my way and paid for my time of course came first so that left very little time for anyone else, but these same guys wanted to discuss doing something down there but I lost touch with them.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Re: dyno tuning... is it worth it? read pls. (AngelR)

I dunno, I guess its pretty expensive to get one.. and even if we could gather the money then I don´t think it would pay itself off.. at least over here there are not enough people that are into this to make it profitable.
When were you around Panama?? and who are you by the way sir??

Could you help me out on my question??
tks
Old 07-27-2004, 07:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PanamaVTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dunno, I guess its pretty expensive to get one.. and even if we could gather the money then I don´t think it would pay itself off.. at least over here there are not enough people that are into this to make it profitable.
When were you around Panama?? and who are you by the way sir??

Could you help me out on my question??
tks</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are not cheap, but a complete Dynojet 224 runs about 24K shipped in the states. And from what I saw when I was there last year I would think that it could pay for itself if handled and promoted correctly. If you were to open a shop with a dyno, an experienced person to run it, and focused on real performance and not just ricer crap (from what I was told and saw, the few shops around cater to the ricer type crap and know very little of any real value) you could attract people from all over the country and even encourage the growth of the local "scene". Remember, most people who want to do this stuff won't if they know that there is no way for them to get the stuff, get it installed and get it running right, if they know they have the support then they will be much more likely to jump in with both feet.

I was there about a year ago as I wrote above, in and around Panama City working on a couple of Supras and the odd Scooby and I saw turbo hondas, evos, scoobys, all kinds of stuff running around.... most of it in dire need of tuning, but they had the basics there, and as I mentioned, they wanted the help.

As for your dilema, the difference in elevation will surely effect it, but at a min. you could get cam gears, timing, vtec xover and af good in Costa Rica and then probably just have to tweak it a bit when you get back to sea level...add fuel for the most part. Tuning really is key to getting the most from your setup, and depending how far off your car is you can sometimes see some tremendous gains.

BTW my name is Angel Manuel Robles and I have been playing around with cars for a while, done some ok stuff....used to run nines in profwd when that was still fast (99) won some races, built and tuned some strong cars 800-900 rwhp supras. Just try to have fun with it.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:35 AM

Ok great man, tks. You have made up my mind I´m gonna do the roadtrip..
I will look into the dyno stuff, maybe I can work something out.. but we are missing tuners around here.
Who knows maybe you will be flying over here sometime again to do some tuning
Tks again.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:59 PM

by the way did you were here tuning with Justin Nenin?? He was the one tuning supras around here fm the States..
Old 07-28-2004, 03:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PanamaVTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">by the way did you were here tuning with Justin Nenin?? He was the one tuning supras around here fm the States..</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, he must have gone at another time....

Let me know how it goes man.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got Hondata? I can do a pretty good map for ya.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:01 PM

Default Re: dyno tuning... is it worth it? read pls. (Rocket)

really?? got an uninstalled s100.
Pls send the map to me pls!!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, socket your ecu and get it going sir.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:53 PM

Default Re: dyno tuning... is it worth it? read pls. (Rocket)

wohooo tks!