Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Divagation about WRONG's

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Divagation about WRONG's

I am really depressed about my motor's situation.. But I started thinking how the hell it runs? I'm building a poor *** budget B20 block to fit there once my stuff blows, but, duuude, is it gonna blow someday?

What I'm talking about is my stroked B16, and the list of failures, is as big as it can.

To start, as the block was completely ****ed by a bad machine shop work, it was re-aligned so many times that the crank sit's arround 1mm higher than necessary. So, the Oil pump and crank cap had to have the dowels removed and aligned by eye.

and guess what, IT DOES NOT LEAK!

Another machining error was the crank, I know we should not use machined cranks, it was suposed to be a .25mm crank, but the machine shop made it .50mm, and it had no treatment.

How the hell the bearings still in there?

as the ****ed up crank sit's that high, the piston had to be machined by .5mm, and even after it, it sit's arround .2mm out of the hole, maybe more. And the had, oh man... it came from an engine that overheated, and it was as warped as it could be, so I assume it's milled arround 1.5mm, almost to the chambers.

The piston to head clearance is ridiculous, in the head edged, this clearance is .3mm.

Dude, .3mm, HOW THE HELL IT'S NOT HITTING?

Another failure, was the sleeving, it was sleeved with some VW sleeves, that were pressed inside the stock ones, so when you look at it, you see the inner VW sleeve, a little layer of remaining stock sleeve + the cast aluminum "sleeve suport"

The valves were ****ing loose in their guides, so the machine shop just made some inserts, I wonder if this is common, but it's working till now.

Now, another concern is, while I was fixing the chambers (had different CC's) I let the machine slide, and screwed up a little bit, making a "path"with the dremel.

I wonder HOW THE HELL, the gasket is not burnt.

And after all that failures, car ran extremely well, making 176whp with just the stroker kit + blox B cams, and some ebay cam gears, tuned just wot, as we had no time.

After that, the car was RAPED in a trackday, and blew one clutch puck out. I still raped the car some more, with the unbalanced rotating assembly. No issues at all.

No knocking from bearings, eangine seals pretty good, no smoke.(oh yeah, I'm not gonna tell I use used rings.)

Now, it felt kinda weak last time I drove it, but I'm pretty sure it's because of the clogged fuel filter, as the ethanol ****ed my fuel tank up, so sometimes I feel a complete CUT, when I'm at wot... If it's not that, I just ****ed some valves, during a misshift. LOL

I'm sorry for getting this stuff of my chest here, lol. But I was surprised that this **** runs, and runs good...

I'm currently in US now, I got tons of new stuff for this fail monster, and I'going to run it hard with the bolt ons, till it falls apart.

Do you guys think that the pistons may be hitting the head during high revs?

Does anybody have experience with oversized bearings?

well, I must be drunk.

Bye
Old 06-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Divagation about WRONG's

Originally Posted by victor.ek4
Another machining error was the crank, I know we should not use machined cranks, it was suposed to be a .25mm crank, but the machine shop made it .50mm, and it had no treatment.

How the hell the bearings still in there?
Are you saying it was ground .5mm? Cranks are run all the time ground undersized like that and they run fine. By "treatment", I'm assuming you mean nitriding? As long as the bearings have enough clearance and crush, they'll be fine.

as the ****ed up crank sit's that high, the piston had to be machined by .5mm, and even after it, it sit's arround .2mm out of the hole, maybe more. And the had, oh man... it came from an engine that overheated, and it was as warped as it could be, so I assume it's milled arround 1.5mm, almost to the chambers.

The piston to head clearance is ridiculous, in the head edged, this clearance is .3mm.

Dude, .3mm, HOW THE HELL IT'S NOT HITTING?
If the piston is .2mm out, and you're left with .3mm, that means you have a .5mm headgasket? Who's bright idea was that? Keep running it up to higher RPM and it'll blow.

The valves were ****ing loose in their guides, so the machine shop just made some inserts, I wonder if this is common, but it's working till now.
It's common and works very well assuming the valvetrain is correctly set up. If your cylinder head warped, the cam tunnels are likely warped as well, not to mention cam timing. I'm surprised they haven't seized yet.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, I must be drunk.
So was the guy that built your engine...
Old 06-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG1834
If the piston is .2mm out, and you're left with .3mm, that means you have a .5mm headgasket? Who's bright idea was that? Keep running it up to higher RPM and it'll blow.

I have an OEM HG, I don't remember exactly how much it sit's outside the block, but the clearance is for sure between .3 and .4mm

I'm revving to 8350rpm, to prevent **** from happening. I did misshift one or 2 times, but I don't think it went past 9500rpm LOL

Yes, I ment "ground" .5mm, english is not my main language. lol again.

And well... I built the engine, bearing clearances are fine, so are cylinder ones. No issues with the cams. I plastigaged the cam "mains" and they were a little loose, but usable.

The only issue is that as the as the mains were shaved too many times, the sides became loose, but whatever

I just want to be clear that, I knew that **** would happen, my only big mistake, was to believe, when my tuner said that the HG when crushed, is 1mm thick... I just built this because I was ****ing tired of reassembling the engine, and finding machining errors, that I said, OK, lets build this ****, and run till the rod flies over the block.

Oh, I think I remember, before I machined the pistons, when I net the engine with no HG, and turn the crank, and it would lift the head .8mm so after .5mm machining it sits .3 outside, than with a .66mm HG, it's like .36mm clearance.

P2V wasn't checked also, as we had 2 days to assemble, break in, and tune to the track, but as far as I hear no knocking, I don't think I have any bent valves. I hope the performance loss come form the fuel filter being fu***d up.

well.. It'll be upgraded now, and retuned, I expect something arround 190˜200whp being conservative, but I guess I will just stay revving to 8400, not to blow the **** out of it