Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

The differences & Nuances between the B18B1 & B18C1 bottom end Engine Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: The differences & Nuances between the B18B1 & B18C1 bottom end Engine Blocks

Originally Posted by rx8ghost
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ine/index.html

Also don't forget budget. If you're working on a tight one and you can get a B18B block in good condition for cheaper than a B18C then you can use the extra money to squeeze out some more power.
can you put a gsr crank into a ls block with ls rods and pistions
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: The differences & Nuances between the B18B1 & B18C1 bottom end Engine Blocks

yes
Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Many of the posters in this thread = EPIC FAIL!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To sum this up with factual information since there is false info all over this thread, the ls block and gsr block are not that different, there are advantages to a gsr block but if you found an ls block for cheap you can make it just as reliable. The main advantage to the gsr block is it has a block girdle for stability at high rpms, you can use one off a gsr and put it in the ls block or buy an aftermarket one. Or if you decide to get a gsr block, buy it bare and throw the guts from a ls block in the gsr block, and you have a girdle already, and you dont have to run an external oil line for vtec, the only disadvantage is you have to block off the oil squirters cause the crank wont clear them, golden eagle sells a kit for this for $20. If your on a budget just use the ls block and use either a gsr or aftermarket girdle. For any ls/vtec revving beyond stock rev limit arp rod bolts are a must, and to raise compression use p30 or pr3 pistons, they will fit ls rods without machining as opposed to type r pistons which you have to shave part of the rod to make them fit. With the ls stroke you will have more torque over a gsr making your powerband greater and respond better to modification. People might tell you ls/vtec is not reliable, but thats in the hands of the builder and tuner. I have a friend with a ls/vtec with ctr pistons and his head is milled to the max. His compression is around 13.1 and its a daily driver on pump gas, and hes been hitting 9k rpms with it for 3 years now daily and its still holding up great, and it pulls hard, because he built it right and had it tuned by a good tuner. As long as you do the same reliablity will not be an issue and you will walk on gsr's all day.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by C_Rock77
Many of the posters in this thread = EPIC FAIL!
Truly! Ive gotten some good chuckles out of this old thread
Old 09-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just started into this and excuse my dumbfuckery if i am mistaken. I am looking to rebuild my 93 del sol and I want to put a b18c1 motor in it with an ls tranny and a b16 head. I've been looking everywhere but this is the best i got. Can someone help me with all the parts and suggested mods i should do.??
Old 09-08-2017, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim C.
I just started into this and excuse my dumbfuckery if i am mistaken. I am looking to rebuild my 93 del sol and I want to put a b18c1 motor in it with an ls tranny and a b16 head. I've been looking everywhere but this is the best i got. Can someone help me with all the parts and suggested mods i should do.??
Make your own thread, in the appropriate section, instead of bumping 7 year old threads with your dumbfuckery...
Old 09-08-2017, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

You realize an LS tranny with long gear ratios will KILL the "get up and go" capabilities of your car right?

Unless you're planning for big HP turbo, or are only interested in cruising and gas mileage.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
You realize an LS tranny with long gear ratios will KILL the "get up and go" capabilities of your car right?

Unless you're planning for big HP turbo, or are only interested in cruising and gas mileage.
Thats why i joined this because i dont know. I mean i am definitely getting a b18c1 but i was told the ls tranny was the best. apparantly not. I need opinions on what head to use, internals, transmission. literally everything because all i have now is a d16z6 with stock everything. And it will be turboed. all the information i can find are all motor information. So i need as much help as i can get as far as parts. id like to atleast push over 205whp.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Thats why i joined this because i dont know. I mean i am definitely getting a b18c1 but i was told the ls tranny was the best. apparantly not. I need opinions on what head to use, internals, transmission. literally everything because all i have now is a d16z6 with stock everything. And it will be turboed. all the information i can find are all motor information. So i need as much help as i can get as far as parts. id like to atleast push over 205whp.
I'd definitely encourage you to make your own thread, you can do so in this sub (All Motor/Naturally Aspirated).

Do you already have any of these engine parts? Also there's no reason to use a B16 head with a GSR/B18C1 block (not really any reason NOT to either, just saying it's not really necessary or beneficial).
Old 09-08-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The all-motor information will be the same as you would for a turbocharger, the only difference being a change of piston/rods to more robust aftermarket units (depending upon the power level you want after 300whp).

There are literally hundreds of combinations of parts to choose from for your build, depending upon budget, purpose of the car, and power level. No one is going to give you the entire "heads up" as to everything in one shot. 1) No one has that kind of time to explain it all. 2) There are over 15 years of archived links/articles, vids and how-tos on this and several other forums. You must put in the legwork, by starting off with the All-motor and Forced Induction FAQs highlighted in grey at the top of each forum. Read, read, then read again.

I'm going to close this thread now, as this is bumping older information, and you can start your own thread. However, you must have specific questions on what you're looking at, not a generalization of "what's best?". There's no such thing as that. Only what's best for you and your needs. We don't know, and don't need to know the background of this, otherwise, there's no "tech" in this section.

So, here are a few links to start off with to get you started, and once you've read those, looked at the FAQs on each section, and written a few things down, (Who would tune it, what resources you have in your area in the way of machining, what hardware/software to use, your mechanical ability, etc). Once you've gone through that personal journey, then it would be appropriate to gauge and probe the forum with questions. But what you're doing right now isn't going to work.

So, here's your "Olive Branch" to get started, the rest is on you to soul search.and research.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...0vtec-1676914/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...hread-3298727/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...aq%5D-2628364/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...-test-3005484/

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...nvtec-2108181/

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...3-oct-2176287/

Turbo stuff

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...2A%2A-1024174/
More transmission stuff

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...guide-2931549/

Honda Engine And Drivetrain Weights Guide - Honda Tuning Magazine

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-...o-much-795700/