Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

The differences & Nuances between the B18B1 & B18C1 bottom end Engine Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The differences & Nuances between the B18B1 & B18C1 bottom end Engine Blocks

Ok, im wanting to start my bottom end build and found a killer deal on a B18B1 bare block . Wanting to if anyone has a link to compare the 2 blocks. Im wanting to build an all motor GSR and wondering if this bottom end will be the same as the GSR bottom end.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:48 PM

Default re: The differences & Nuances between the B18B1 & B18C1 bottom end Engine Blocks

I can tell you that they are not the same. The B18B has larger cylinders (I believe) and therefore larger displacement. Also, with the B18B not being a VTEC block it doesn't have the oil squirters and other things.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: The differences & Nuances between the B18B1 & B18C1 bottom end Engine Blocks

lol
Old 05-17-2009, 08:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by chewiejdh
I can tell you that they are not the same. The B18B has larger cylinders (I believe) and therefore larger displacement. Also, with the B18B not being a VTEC block it doesn't have the oil squirters and other things.
same bore 81mm both blocks, and ls has no oil squirters, the ls crank is what makes the larger displacement, and the ls block has no girdle , the gsr one has girdle
Old 05-17-2009, 08:03 PM

Ah, then I stand corrected on the reason for the displacement and bore sizes. Thank you.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use the gsr block and use ls rods and crankshaft with type r pistons that will be a good combo
Old 05-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speed_n_blood
use the gsr block and use ls rods and crankshaft with type r pistons that will be a good combo
There is a huge thread on this also. Then again, Lsv isn't a bad way to go either!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would you want to use the LS rods in a GSR? Because the ls rods are so much weaker and ARP rod bolts help the rods but still they are still weak...if you get this GSR block with a gsr crank and rods don't use the ls rods
Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Farmer89511
Why would you want to use the LS rods in a GSR? Because the ls rods are so much weaker and ARP rod bolts help the rods but still they are still weak...if you get this GSR block with a gsr crank and rods don't use the ls rods
lol
Old 05-18-2009, 03:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by chewiejdh
he's on the money...
Old 05-18-2009, 03:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Farmer89511
cause you can have a more dependable ls-v in a gs-r block ... A.R.P Bolts rod and head...
Old 05-18-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

^^Absolutely... You would use the LS Crank / Rods together in the GS-R block.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed_n_blood
With gsr rod bearings of course....
Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holly ****! This thread is FULL of wrong information.
If your answer contains....
I think....
maybe...
possibly....
uhhhh.....
my home boy told me....

Then don't ****ing post.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Phil M
I think....
maybe...
possibly....
uhhhh.....
my home boy told me....

Then don't ****ing post.
Then why don't you bless us all with your infinte wisdom on this subject and tell us the best way to go with each block and why the use of Ls internals in a gsr block is done. Along with cr, reliability, diffrence in stroke, and components that are interchangeable between the two to make reliability, oem pistons that can be used to bump up compression? Rather than say everyone is an idiot, show us how smart you are.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I think....
maybe...
possibly....
uhhhh.....
my home boy told me....

Then don't ****ing post.
how so?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 PM
New User

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ine/index.html

Also don't forget budget. If you're working on a tight one and you can get a B18B block in good condition for cheaper than a B18C then you can use the extra money to squeeze out some more power.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by numberone
Then why don't you bless us all with your infinte wisdom on this subject and tell us the best way to go with each block and why the use of Ls internals in a gsr block is done. Along with cr, reliability, diffrence in stroke, and components that are interchangeable between the two to make reliability, oem pistons that can be used to bump up compression? Rather than say everyone is an idiot, show us how smart you are.

this thread is full of FAIL.

if you want a good pump gas motor doing a gsr block with ls rods and crank and b16 pistons you end up with about 11.5 to 1 cr with a gsr head. you get the benefit of the oil squirters and block girdle. as long as its built right it will be reliable. but you gotta remeber the second you pull an oem motor apart and start modding it for more power you are sacraficing reliability. the ls crank benefits because its a tiny bit longer in stroke being that its 89mm stroke and a gsr is 87.2, you only get a tiny bit of cc's bigger displacement but a longer stroke motor almost always has a better powerband.

but honestly if you dont know what your getting into building a motor, then I would highly suggest taking alot of time and doing research befor you get a head of your self and figure out it costs way too much and run out of cash to build it.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
this thread is full of FAIL.

if you want a good pump gas motor doing a gsr block with ls rods and crank and b16 pistons you end up with about 11.5 to 1 cr with a gsr head. you get the benefit of the oil squirters and block girdle. as long as its built right it will be reliable. but you gotta remeber the second you pull an oem motor apart and start modding it for more power you are sacraficing reliability. the ls crank benefits because its a tiny bit longer in stroke being that its 89mm stroke and a gsr is 87.2, you only get a tiny bit of cc's bigger displacement but a longer stroke motor almost always has a better powerband.

but honestly if you dont know what your getting into building a motor, then I would highly suggest taking alot of time and doing research befor you get a head of your self and figure out it costs way too much and run out of cash to build it.
Now this is a great answer w/good knowledge to back it up.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FAQ's + Dynothread> info from posters on this thread
Old 05-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because I don't have time to spoon feed babies. Do some research; the info is everywhere.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because I don't have time to spoon feed babies. Do some research; the info is everywhere.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about the b18a1 whats ur oppinoin on that?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by tegra18
what about the b18a1 whats ur oppinoin on that?
same deal... just a few senors flip flop around... from the b18a and b18b
Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a huge thread on this also. Then again, Lsv isn't a bad way to go either!
hey where is the threads on this? i just built mine and trying to find what kinda power people have made with the combo.

Quick Reply: The differences & Nuances between the B18B1 & B18C1 bottom end Engine Blocks