Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Differences in Camshaft weight between VTEC & non-vtec. Not new, but interesting

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Differences in Camshaft weight between VTEC & non-vtec. Not new, but interesting

Vtec

Non vtec

The cams are exhaust oem b16 and b20z
Draw your own conclusions.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:29 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Differences in Camshaft weight between VTEC & non-vtec. Not new, but interesting

What's your point? what did it matter? for over 28 years, this is now a concern?
Old 06-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Re: Differences in Camshaft weight between VTEC & non-vtec. Not new, but interesting

"B" series VTEC and non-VTEC cams are not interchangeable, so I fail to understand the relevance of this comparison. Since you are a non-VTEC fan, I assume that you are making the point that the lighter weight cams are a benefit... and you would be correct. However, this is merely ONE point... both types have their own positives and negatives when compared side by side. There are MANY advantages to the VTEC engine over the non-VTEC engine... and this thread may devolve into that type of discussion.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Differences in Camshaft weight between VTEC & non-vtec. Not new, but interesting

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
"B" series VTEC and non-VTEC cams are not interchangeable, so I fail to understand the relevance of this comparison. Since you are a non-VTEC fan, I assume that you are making the point that the lighter weight cams are a benefit... and you would be correct. However, this is merely ONE point... both types have their own positives and negatives when compared side by side. There are MANY advantages to the VTEC engine over the non-VTEC engine... and this thread may devolve into that type of discussion.
exact! In the next few days, I will install p8r head with 404 in my b20, I also have a p72 with itr cams, that would be the equivalent, so I'm curious if this estimate will make a difference in 1/4 mile (egardless of the 5 mm more ports intake of p72)

Last edited by Pablomg; 06-10-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The Camshaft weight has nothing to do with the comparison, The cylinder head flow difference is not only from the increased port size, but from the VTEC lobe camshaft profile. this is why VTEC heads are superior in design and flow compared to the LS and B20 heads.