Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Getting a chipped ecu from phearable worth it?

Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting a chipped ecu from phearable worth it?

Basically I am content with my all motor B16A with just bolt ons, but don't think I am getting the full potential of my bolt ons. Is getting a ECU from phearable worth it? I don't have a dyno/tuner anywhere near me, so am unsure about getting this mod.

My current setup:
B16A 2nd gen
JDM P30 ECU
B18C1 cams IN/EX
B18C5 valve springs
US 5Zigen 4-2-1 2.25" collector 1 piece header
JDM 5Zigen 2.5" catback exhaust
JDM EG6 cat converter
B18C5 flywheel and clutch
B18C1 transmission

Is this enough to warrant a ecu chip?

Thanks guys,
Tim

Last edited by tlarimer; 09-11-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Getting a chipped ecu from phearable worth it?

Not really worth it with those mods but for future mods then I would say go with it.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think any "chipped" ecu is worth it...

Get your setup tuned or dont tune it at all...

For the basic mods you have, I wouldn't get it tuned yet. Maybe bump up fuel pressure a few psi and add a degree or 2 to your base timing but thats about it...
Old 09-11-2011, 04:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Providing feedback/suggestions, yet no one asked you what model stock ecu you are running the engine on..?

If it is a stock p28, p72 then chipping it would defiantly benefit you.
If it is a stock p30, chipping it would still slightly benefit you, but not as drastically.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^I was always under the impression that "chipped" ecus simply add fuel and bump timing up in kind of a blind attempt to add power (but inaccurately)?

I bought a chipped ecu once (not from Phearable) and my mpg suffered with what seemed like very little improvement. This was probably 7 years ago so maybe things have changed since then?

Mtber- please dont think I'm slamming you or your products. You have a very good reputation and Ive spoke with quite a few people you have tuned. You are very good at what you do and VERY knowledgable when it comes to ECUs and tuning and are actually one of the few tuners I would trust to touch my car.
Perhaps you could educate us a little as to what goes into todays "chipped" ecus?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mtber
Providing feedback/suggestions, yet no one asked you what model stock ecu you are running the engine on..?

If it is a stock p28, p72 then chipping it would defiantly benefit you.
If it is a stock p30, chipping it would still slightly benefit you, but not as drastically.
Sorry, fixed on the original post, its a stock JDM P30 ecu
Old 09-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are getting an ecu chipped from a reputable guy then usually he will have a map that is very similar to your car...

alot of times when i do peoples cars they dont want to pay for the street tune or dyno tune i offer so i just chip their ecu and burn a chip with map that i have that is close to their setups then i tell them to go smash on it and come back and ill look at the plugs, as long as their is no pinging or the plugs arent white or black usually they are good to go

but i dont just burn chips and say have a nice day i still go out with the car for 1 run and inspect the plugs
Old 09-11-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
^^I was always under the impression that "chipped" ecus simply add fuel and bump timing up in kind of a blind attempt to add power (but inaccurately)?

I bought a chipped ecu once (not from Phearable) and my mpg suffered with what seemed like very little improvement. This was probably 7 years ago so maybe things have changed since then?

Mtber- please dont think I'm slamming you or your products. You have a very good reputation and Ive spoke with quite a few people you have tuned. You are very good at what you do and VERY knowledgable when it comes to ECUs and tuning and are actually one of the few tuners I would trust to touch my car.
Perhaps you could educate us a little as to what goes into todays "chipped" ecus?
Generally chipped ecus from ebay & random vendors come with a basemap which some guy downloaded off the internet on some forum from some guy that ripped the rom off his "skunk2" or "spoon" ecu.

There is a huge difference between a chipped ecu with a junk basemap that really has no meaning behind the mapping & one of our basemaps.

(Taken from our website) What is a basemap?:
A basemap is an ecu program that is specifically modified for your vehicle & its modifications. A basemap contains fuel & ignition timing values along with other important settings such as revlimit etc. Phearable.net uses basemaps which are only from actual vehicles which have been tuned by phearable.net using a wideband oxygen sensor and a dynojet.

A basemap does not replace tuning, it is the best tune you are going to get without actually installing a wideband oxygen sensor gauge & a tunable engine management system and dialing in the car.

I hope this helps :-)
Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it does, thank you
Old 09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can save a little coin buy buying a chipped/converted P06 ecu off ebay or certain sites and order your chip off of a known company.

But for your mod list it's not really worth it, You might end up losing power and fuel economy.

Not really worth it for you at this point if you ask me.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, thanks guys for the information. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at, just wasn't sure if I was not getting the full potential of my mods, but I am getting 38.6mpg as of last fill up, so I guess I will stick with what I've got for know, until I decide to open it up and upgrade internals for more power.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by hoffmanb16
You can save a little coin buy buying a chipped/converted P06 ecu off ebay or certain sites and order your chip off of a known company.
I would shy away from this method. Why? You will save a few dollars, you won't have a warranty, you won't have customer service etc.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by tlarimer
Ok, thanks guys for the information. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at, just wasn't sure if I was not getting the full potential of my mods, but I am getting 38.6mpg as of last fill up, so I guess I will stick with what I've got for know, until I decide to open it up and upgrade internals for more power.
Let us know if you have any other questions :-)
Old 09-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mtber
I would shy away from this method. Why? You will save a few dollars, you won't have a warranty, you won't have customer service etc.
Very true, Im not trying to discredit your company or service but just giving him all the options available.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by hoffmanb16
Very true, Im not trying to discredit your company or service but just giving him all the options available.
No worries. I didn't take it the wrong way, just wanted to advise people that see this thread about trying to save $30-40 by using the method you suggested.

I can't count on my hands how many times people end up ordering ecus from us after buying one on craigslist or ebay and experiencing issues :-)