Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Crushed spark plug!? How!? Happened at the track.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crushed spark plug!? How!? Happened at the track.

Hey everyone.

I went to the track today to take my '93 del Sol Si for a spin. It has (or had...) a built NA d16z6. During the last Dyno tuning I made 158whp. I love this little SOHC but today something happened....

I came around a corner at the track, tried to downshift and it felt like I missed the gate. I can't recall if I over-revved the engine (I'll have to watch the video) but I heard a noise. I pulled off the track and tried to start but all I got was a CLUNK.

I had it towed home. I pulled the plugs to try to move the engine at the crank. I noticed plug #1 had what looked like some markings on the base of the plug around the electrode. Then plug #2...

Trying to take #2 was much harder than it should have been. When I finally got it out I could see that the electrode end looked entirely smashed in. I pulled the valve cover off and everything there seems ok. Doesn't look like a valve dropped (I can see all 16 shafts and the connections to the springs).

What could it have been!? Did I actually drop a valve? Valve float (I'm using the Rocket Motorsports valve springs and Ti retainers with the stage 4 re-grind camshaft)? Detonation?

The timing belt still looks good (I have the cover off to access the adjustable camshaft gear) and the camshaft gear is still sitting at 1* advanced.

I've attached pics.

Plug from cylinder 2:
Name:  IMG_5987_zps4psdvczh.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  173.4 KB

Plug from cylinder 1 (much less damage but still evidence of something contacting the plug):
Name:  IMG_5991_zpsozqkedki.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  153.1 KB
Old 05-22-2017, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Re: Crushed spark plug!? How!? Happened at the track.

You have eaten a valve... or obliterated a piston. Either way, time to tear down. The plug pics you have posted indicate flying metal striking the spark plugs... the question is where did the metal come from ???
Old 05-23-2017, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crushed spark plug!? How!? Happened at the track.

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
You have eaten a valve... or obliterated a piston. Either way, time to tear down. The plug pics you have posted indicate flying metal striking the spark plugs... the question is where did the metal come from ???
i definitely looks like metal has been impacted onto the plug. I would be surprised if it were a valve since I'm using aftermarket springs and retainers, but I suppose anything is possible. I won't know for certain until I tear it down.

it's a high compression build using P29's and an aggressive camshaft. The block was decked and the head resurfaced during the build. The compression calculator suggested near 13:1. It was advanced only 1* but there would have been very narrow tolerances. I wonder if even the slightest amount of valve float, in spite of the springs, could have resulted in this...

Last edited by Curlybandit; 05-23-2017 at 03:36 AM.