Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Compression and valve lash

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compression and valve lash

So i just got done doing a compression test on my h22a to have a little more info on the health of the engine.

All tests were done WOT but im not a 100% sure the engine was warm enough. Basically only drove the car a few blocks haha.

190 190 190 175

the 175 was in cylinder 4, and it also seems that its a bit to low to be in specs.

I was wondering, and couldnt not find any info, not even with google. But does valve lash adjustment have any part in compression tests? I am pretty sure I am in need of an adjustment due to the valvetrain being noisey.

If valve lash has nothing to do with it I suppose ill have to do a leak down and check where I stand.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Compression and valve lash

Originally Posted by Projectludatic
So i just got done doing a compression test on my h22a to have a little more info on the health of the engine.

All tests were done WOT but im not a 100% sure the engine was warm enough. Basically only drove the car a few blocks haha.

190 190 190 175

the 175 was in cylinder 4, and it also seems that its a bit to low to be in specs.

I was wondering, and couldnt not find any info, not even with google. But does valve lash adjustment have any part in compression tests? I am pretty sure I am in need of an adjustment due to the valvetrain being noisey.

If valve lash has nothing to do with it I suppose ill have to do a leak down and check where I stand.
doubt its a valve lash problem. really valve lash should not affect compression much if at all
Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i suppose it doesnt hurt to check, totally different answer you gave me then my mechanic lol.

Ill do the adjustments tomorrow and see if anything changes, I do have alot of valve noise so heres to me hoping.

Even if i were to get 5psi more difference after adjustment ill be happy.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i suppose it doesnt hurt to check, totally different answer you gave me then my mechanic lol.

Ill do the adjustments tomorrow and see if anything changes, I do have alot of valve noise so heres to me hoping.

Even if i were to get 5psi more difference after adjustment ill be happy.
ohh my bad....is teh car running? you didnt give much info i assumed it was a no run situation.
but i dont know a whole lot just dont seem like it would affect the car to the point of not being able to run
Old 10-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No the car is running strong still, we were just doing a compression test to figure out the health of the engine.

As it stands im doing two projects at once that will merge into one haha.

We have plans to boost my stock H22a in my car right now, and thats why we did the compression check.

The engine being built for boost while i run a very modest boost application on the engine int he car till the built is finished.

Thats why i asked if the valve lash could be a factor in difference in the compressions, due to the compression in #4 not being to far away from the others.

I figured it was worth asking due to valve lash being a simple 30min fix haha.

If the vavle lash dont fix it then its either oil down the cylinder or a leak down :/.

But if valve lash does work out that lets me know the engine is going to be healthy enough to tune out a turbo kit on it while i build the storker .

Sorry if the earlier info wasnt enough tho.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No the car is running strong still, we were just doing a compression test to figure out the health of the engine.

As it stands im doing two projects at once that will merge into one haha.

We have plans to boost my stock H22a in my car right now, and thats why we did the compression check.

The engine being built for boost while i run a very modest boost application on the engine int he car till the built is finished.

Thats why i asked if the valve lash could be a factor in difference in the compressions, due to the compression in #4 not being to far away from the others.

I figured it was worth asking due to valve lash being a simple 30min fix haha.

If the vavle lash dont fix it then its either oil down the cylinder or a leak down :/.

But if valve lash does work out that lets me know the engine is going to be healthy enough to tune out a turbo kit on it while i build the storker .

Sorry if the earlier info wasnt enough tho.

yeaah re-reading this it can be valve lash if the valves dont seal perfectly there will be less comp. sorry to give u bad info at the start
Old 10-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not your fault, I was a little vauge. Thanks for the confirmation tho.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

190 190 190 175

You got some intelligent good background info here. Yes, valve lash can affect compression results. Too tight = valve potentially open all the time. However over time it is VERY unlikely that lash would become too tight. It may become looser though.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Additionally, valve lash should ALWAYS be checked regardless. I.E. new engine install/build. Its something i do with my oil changes, especially on motors that are driven on somewhat harshly. In fact i give my motors a full oil pan to valve cover run down every few thousand miles. I don't wait for a problem to arise before i make repairs/adjustments. Its called preventive maintenance. It prevents corrective maintenance. Its a a routine i learned in the military. It does wonders.