Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Troubleshooting: Attempting to identify Intake Manifold- EF B20/VTEC Swap build

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: Attempting to identify Intake Manifold- EF B20/VTEC Swap build

Hey All,

So just picked up this new toy, plan is to make it semi street, semi track. Already have a daily.

Anyway the previous owner told me this was a skunk2 intake mani but even then had my doubts, anyway wasn't a deal breaker. So now I am trying to work out if this actually a skunk2 item or not, the reason I doubt is that most I have seen have the plaque on the top with the Skunk2 logo.

It certainly has a skunk2 70mm throttle body not sure if that makes a difference but to me looks more like a stock GSR maybe?

Anyway if anyone knows much appreciated, also so I can update my signature.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default re: Troubleshooting: Attempting to identify Intake Manifold- EF B20/VTEC Swap build

In your last pic posted above, at the back of the intake plenum just above that short vacuum line with the bolt in it are three digits cast into the intake manifold. What are they ??? It is possible that this is a first generation Skunk2 intake manifold... they did not have the logo plate cast on the top of them... they appeared very stock like.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default re: Troubleshooting: Attempting to identify Intake Manifold- EF B20/VTEC Swap build

Although it doesn't matter at all if it's a P73 or Skunk2 gen1, Blox, XSpower and numerous ebay copies. However, none of these copies will have P73 stamping. Which you can kinda see from the last shot. Also, Ive never seen a copy that had casting material between the 2-3 runner (around the fuel rail middle threaded mount) like the original P73 did. Usually there is a small gap here closest to the cylinder head in the copies.

I'm sure they all produce similar power due to them all being copies of the P73 ITR manifold.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so I just went and looked and the numbers are P73 HF - 1 and then in a circle 7306 see pic below

Old 02-02-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

That looks like a Generation 1 Skunk2 Pro series manifold from a VERY long time ago. Unless it has a P73 stamp on it, in which case, it is an OEM Type R. It is NOT a GS-R.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so the P73 would indicate ITR as long as not a copy?

Would a new Skunk2 intake make more power than this?

Last edited by LuckyStrike90; 02-02-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added question
Old 02-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyStrike90
so the P73 would indicate ITR as long as not a copy?

Would a new Skunk2 intake make more power than this?
OEM ITR. It does not look like a knock-off.

The Skunk2 Pro intake manifolds are damn near identical to the P73 ITR intake you already have.

Skunk2 Ultra Street may yield some gains, particularly in the top end. Depends on what your other mods are or what your plans are as to if it's worth it or not. Personally I'd keep the ITR for the time being.

I would highly recommend port matching the intake manifold to the throttle body if it hasn't been done already.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
Although it doesn't matter at all if it's a P73 or Skunk2 gen1, Blox, XSpower and numerous ebay copies. However, none of these copies will have P73 stamping. Which you can kinda see from the last shot. Also, Ive never seen a copy that had casting material between the 2-3 runner (around the fuel rail middle threaded mount) like the original P73 did. Usually there is a small gap here closest to the cylinder head in the copies.

I'm sure they all produce similar power due to them all being copies of the P73 ITR manifold.
I was confident that it was a stock intake manifold... I just wasn't sure if it was stamped P30 or P73 on the back corner... and this is why I asked the OP to post a pic of the 3-digit casting mark.

So, yes... it is a STOCK ITR intake manifold. It is the best factory choice... and should work similarly to a Skunk2 Pro Series intake manifold. The Skunk2 Ultra Street manifold will potentially make a few more HP at peak, although it will also likely lose some mid-range power.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks all for the info, much appreciated