Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

N/A Build plans for 2010 92 B17A1

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post N/A Build plans for 2010 92 B17A1

I just got this new job making 400 a week so i've decided im going to build my da to the highest it can go without any machine work i want the stock diameter pistons etc.

Here is the list of some engine internals and externals i want for the build and everything is questionable cuss in this sitiuation i want the best so if you know anything better please let me know.

Toda Vtec A2 exhaust and intake cams<- questioning performance and lift
Toda cam gears
Toda dual valve springs
Skunk2 High compression Valve set
Supertech Valve guides
Toda high power timing belt
RC 440cc fuel injectors
AEM High volume fuel rail
NGK vtec spark plug wires + platinum spark plugs
Skunk2 Pro series intake manifold
Skunk2 Pro 68mm throttle body
Toda high power clutch kit

Thats all i have for now and it should take about 3 months to get all the parts, im still looking for a set of good headers+ full exhaust for a 92 da so any input would help a lot and whats the best kind of oil should i be running

AND im debating if i should buy a wideband and a s200 chip for a dyno im running the stock p61 gsr ecu. engine is 92 b17a1 and ys1 cable gsr trans
Old 01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: N/A Build plans for 2010 92 B17A1

A set of oversize PR3 pistons would help out a lot.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was looking at the ctr pistons aswell and the supertech high performance pistons i just dont know which ones have a higher compression and i want to try and keep the stock bore size

im trying to find a good lightweight crank and pulley aswell without the ac/ps
Old 01-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EG6Boy702
I was looking at the ctr pistons aswell and the supertech high performance pistons i just dont know which ones have a higher compression and i want to try and keep the stock bore size

im trying to find a good lightweight crank and pulley aswell without the ac/ps
You DO NOT want those CTR pistons in that B17. Your compression will be insane high due to compression height differences. Your looking at 12.5 assuming you have no head milling, stock valves, no decking and of course the stock thickness head gasket. Don't believe what you see in some of these online compression calculators. Trust me, I had CTR pistons in my B17 and found out the hard way that the online calculators were only as good as the info you entered...

Get some P30's or some JDM ITR pistons. I did 176whp and 120wtq with PR3's and some skunk stage 1 cams. The B17 is a very good engine IMO. As far as running the Hondata on your P61, you should be fine. The ECU is just like any other B OBD1 DOHC Vtec ecu, minus the GSR since it has butterfly controls from the factory. You can add the electronics for this if you needed though, shouldn't matter in your case.

I just picked up a B17 crank and rods to stroke my JDM B16. I was planning on using the JDM ITR pistons.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im getting a 0.8mm or 0.9mm head gasket set to lower the compression but ill look into getting the itr pistons instead of the supertech or ctr pistons cuss i wont be installing anything untill i have all the parts needed and wanted and before i do anything im taking the engine to a shop to be takin apart and have the block and head thurly cleaned and hopefully when everything is done and installed im hoping 190-200+ whp all motor and stock bore but im thinking about porting the head since im already getting bigger valves
Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im getting a 0.8mm or 0.9mm head gasket set to lower the compression but ill look into getting the itr pistons instead of the supertech or ctr pistons cuss i wont be installing anything untill i have all the parts needed and wanted and before i do anything im taking the engine to a shop to be takin apart and have the block and head thurly cleaned and hopefully when everything is done and installed im hoping 190-200+ whp all motor and stock bore but im thinking about porting the head since im already getting bigger valves
Slow down there cowboy. Use a period once in a while...

If your getting larger valves then I am assuming you are aware you are going to spend a LOT of money on that head. Larger valves = larger seats. So you need to have all the seats replaced then do a full valve job. Awfull lot of money and IMO its not worth it. The stock heads flow decent, but portwork alone will be MUCH more beneficial for you then oversized vavles would be for the money spent.

I would reccomend you scrap the whole Toda clutch kit. Much better kits can be had for the money. Your 440cc injectors are overkill for your goals also. 310's should get you there easily. Throttle body is a little on the large side. I would reccomend like a stage 2 skunk pro series cam. Stock timing belt will be more then adequate also, no need to spend money there. Also, why you replacing the valve guides? This "build" seems like you just picked some things that sounded like they would be cool or something, not really well thought out.

Remember. I saw 176whp with my B17 with no port work, no head modifications, nothing more then pistons and some cams. Of course I had the usual I/H/E also. This was after TUNING which is something that must be stressed over and over. All the aftermarket parts in the world won't help you if they aren't tuned correctly.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im glad you opened this thread instead of someone else, your actually saving me money and helping.

Ill toss the clutch kit and replace it with just buying a lighter and better flywheel. I wont be buying bigger valves, ill just get the skunk2 high compression valve set and better valve springs.

After reading everything you said ive changed my list up some, if you can tell me what i should add and take away cuss as of right now i want a beasty high comp. all motor b17

Buddy Clud Spec IV cams. 12.3 lift
Toda Cam Gears
Toda Valve Springs
Skunk2 high compression valve set
Skunk2 Pro Intake mani
Portwork
RC 310cc injectors
P30 pistons or ITR

I still want a bigger throttle body aswell, what size mm would you rec?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im glad you opened this thread instead of someone else, your actually saving me money and helping.

Ill toss the clutch kit and replace it with just buying a lighter and better flywheel. I wont be buying bigger valves, ill just get the skunk2 high compression valve set and better valve springs.

After reading everything you said ive changed my list up some, if you can tell me what i should add and take away cuss as of right now i want a beasty high comp. all motor b17

Buddy Clud Spec IV cams. 12.3 lift
Toda Cam Gears
Toda Valve Springs
Skunk2 high compression valve set
Skunk2 Pro Intake mani
Portwork
RC 310cc injectors
P30 pistons or ITR

I still want a bigger throttle body aswell, what size mm would you rec?
Buddy club cams are pretty nice. Ive only worked with the spec III's and they seemed to provide good results. I don't know how expensive those toda cam gears and springs are but you can look around. I know at least for springs that Omni has a VERY nice set for $250. If you want uber cheap, you can get Blox springs for like $140 a set and they are good as well. If you add the valves your going to need at least a valvejob. Make sure a reputable shop does this as its key to making good power. Perhaps you could buy the valves and then send them and the head to portflow along with your springs. I know they also offer thier own house brand springs which are very good as well. Perhaps give them a call and you can get a deal on a package. For good headwork though expect to see around $1,200 or so in the end.

I'm not saying to scrap the clutch all together, but you don't need an expensive toda unit. Look at ACT or my personal favorite, XTD off Ebay. I know a lot of people will bitch about ebay and all, but I have used close to 8 or 9 clutches from XTD and have NEVER had one issue with them. This was with both boosted and NA setups.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did my new post not show ?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend has the Spec IV's and they have a lot of high end power. The toda cam gears are $295 which isn't that bad. I dont really mind how much ill be spending because i get paid every friday and im willing to take my time to save and buy with this build. When its time to get everything done im taking it to this shop called hondoctors and they have a bunch of 9's-12 second turbo and n/a cars and i trust them. They built my friends b18c t3/4 setup 260whp and did a great job.

Im still going to get a clutch kit i was looking at ACT stage 2 racing/street kit. My clutch is getting worn so it would be a good idea.

Im going to look into sending my head, springs and valves to portflow but what exactly would they be doing for me?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend has the Spec IV's and they have a lot of high end power. The toda cam gears are $295 which isn't that bad. I dont really mind how much ill be spending because i get paid every friday and im willing to take my time to save and buy with this build. When its time to get everything done im taking it to this shop called hondoctors and they have a bunch of 9's-12 second turbo and n/a cars and i trust them. They built my friends b18c t3/4 setup 260whp and did a great job.

Im still going to get a clutch kit i was looking at ACT stage 2 racing/street kit. My clutch is getting worn so it would be a good idea.

Im going to look into sending my head, springs and valves to portflow but what exactly would they be doing for me?
If you want port work as in porting and polishing the head, this is THE place to go IMO.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, i think i have a good idea of what i want to do now. Thanks again haha this is going to be my first project i hope its not a fail