Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

oil/engine additive suggestions for longevity?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:13 PM
hu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Rice-aronie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rice-aronie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Edit: Mercedes no longer have free maintenance, oil changes cost money on newer purchases. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true. The sister in law has free maintenance on her ML63 AMG. She has not taken delivery, but it is in her contract.

Also, WalMart oil? WalMart does not produce or manufacture oil. They do relabel Citgo oil, fwiw. Btw, When I change the oil between the manufacturers recommended intervals (12,000 miles-expletive that), I buy the Mobil1 0w-40 at WalMart.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dbiker207)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dbiker207 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your an idiot. TBN is universal to each service rating of oil, i guess i should have spelled it out for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

TBN
The quantity of acid, expressed in terms of the equivalent number of milligrams (mg) of Potasium Hydroxide, that is required to titrat the strong base constituents present in 1 gram (g) of oil sample

So what if its universal to each service rating of oil? Its still a good benchmark for the life expectancy of a lubricant. Not of how dirty it is.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dbiker207 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i may have been wrong about saying that oil is oil</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah you were. I dont care what you were 'trying to say'. You bad mouth me because i insulted you and didnt back up my statement, and then you go and insult me and make a misleading statement without explaining. Wonderous.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive seen cars that run synthetic get the oil changed every 3000 and it looks like it had 500 miles on it. any engine builder/tuner will tell you that synthetic is far better
Old 04-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4g hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4g hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive seen cars that run synthetic get the oil changed every 3000 and it looks like it had 500 miles on it. any engine builder/tuner will tell you that synthetic is far better</TD></TR></TABLE>

Last time I checked, eyeballs weren't the tool of choice for used oil analysis. Plus, changing out synthetics at 3k is silly and a waste of money.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:38 AM
hu

Default Re: (erikiksaz1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by erikiksaz1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Plus, changing out synthetics at 3k is silly and a waste of money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is it a waste of money?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

please explain your statement. a motor that hangs out at 8500 rpms plus why would you. if the oil looks brand new then why wouldnt eyeball be a tool
Old 04-30-2007, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (hu)

this is a good artical http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You bad mouth me because i insulted you and didnt back up my statement, and then you go and insult me and make a misleading statement without explaining. Wonderous.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol your funny, you say yourself that you insulted me and started this argument. then you go on to get mad at me and try to say im the *** hole?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Look who is talking. ~170 posts...you are the trash talker.

<U>Go copulate independently.</U></TD></TR></TABLE>

this was in response to Combustion Contraptions and i dont normally start trash talking to anyone.

i still stand that buying $4 a quart oil is stupid.

Modified by dbiker207 at 7:32 AM 4/30/2007
Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dbiker207 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is a good artical http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm
</TD></TR></TABLE>

They only tested two synthetic oils in that test. None of which were Royal Purple, Redline, or Amsoil....
Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im definatley using royal purple once i drain my break in oil
Old 04-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: (4g hatch)

Just wanted to throw out something to think about. I have a 300,000 mile RS Integra that has always had Castrol GTX conventional oil since I have owned it.

I change my oil (Castrol GTX) every 5K miles with a PureOne filter for $10.
300K/5K = 60 oil changes X $10 each = $600 total expense so far.

Contrast that to Mobil one full syn and Mobil filter every 3K at $25.
300K/3K = 100 oil changes X $25 = $2500 total expense so far.

My car still runs super, the internals look super (rod bearings), the head looks very clean, and it still runs great. I have saved $1900 so far, and if I ever do have a problem, I have saved enough to buy a low mileage JDM or rebuild with performance parts. Just food for thought.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dbiker207 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is a good artical http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm

lol your funny, you say yourself that you insulted me and started this argument. then you go on to get mad at me and try to say im the *** hole?

this was in response to Combustion Contraptions and i dont normally start trash talking to anyone.

Modified by dbiker207 at 7:32 AM 4/30/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, let me get this straight. You'll spend thousands on a engine build, but you won't spend $4 on a quart of quality oil?

Now, THAT is stupid.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:26 PM
hu

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dbiker207 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

$4? Im not that cheap. Mobil1 0w-40 is $5.60 per quart
Old 04-30-2007, 01:40 PM

Damn, I need to update my figures, I have saved over $2000 then.

I am just playing devils advocate. I completely understand someone buying Mobil One synthetic or other synthetics for their high-reving engines. If your going to build a sweet high compression engine, or even for turbo apps, it is another addition to the 'peace of mind' factor. But I have had great results with my Castrol GTX conventional.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:56 PM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: (Sam92Teg)

I personally run synthetic, but follow the manufacturers recommended change interval for "normal" driving conditions. This means "Every 7500 miles or 6 months", whichever comes first. This costs the same as dyno oil changes with crapy cardboard Fram filters every 3 monts/3k miles. The major difference is that I waste half the amount of time changing oil. Helps since I have 4 cars to look after (plus friends & family)...
Old 04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94eg!)

The only reason you would have leaks when switching over to synthetic is because of the added detergents which clean up the gunk/deposits (lack of better word) left behind by the conventional oils inability to properly clean the motor. Synthetic oil is not "thinner" it is just sliprier. But, if your motor was in good shape before switching over to synthetic, then you probably wont have any leaks since their was no gunk/deposits holding in the old conventional oil.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree that you will probably not have a problem with conventional oil on your daily beater that does'nt see high rpm's. if you take it to high rpms on a motor that you just dumped several grand in common sense says that you should use the best protection you can get no matter what may work
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The best thing you can put in your oil is your dipstick. PERIOD
Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: (Natural Aspirations)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Natural Aspirations &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The best thing you can put in your oil is your dipstick. PERIOD</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, haha, so true.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why is it a waste of money?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a waste of money because the only advantage synthetics have over conventional oil is the oil change interval. If you're buying synthetic oil and dumping it every 3k, you're wasting your money.

Don't believe me? I dare you to find me a used oil analysis of synthetic oil going bad at less than 7k. Go ahead and search bob is the oil guy, you will_not find one.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 AM
#1 Super Guy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by erikiksaz1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's a waste of money because the only advantage synthetics have over conventional oil is the oil change interval. If you're buying synthetic oil and dumping it every 3k, you're wasting your money.

Don't believe me? I dare you to find me a used oil analysis of synthetic oil going bad at less than 7k. Go ahead and search bob is the oil guy, you will_not find one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to agree. If your changing oil every 3k miles, you should just save yourself the money and use Penzoil/Fram combo. And if you don't trust Mobil1 to make it 7k miles, use Royal Purple for only a few cents more...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you guys ever taken apart a motor that has been run on Royal Purple?

All of the internals are coated with a purple sludge, that stuff is nasty I will never use it.

Mobil 1 or Motul for me.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 AM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: (goldegg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goldegg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you guys ever taken apart a motor that has been run on Royal Purple? All of the internals are coated with a purple sludge, that stuff is nasty I will never use it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL! I would like to see pics of that...
Old 05-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94eg!)

Has anybody used ELF synthetic?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Scott_Tucker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scott_Tucker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anybody used ELF synthetic?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Renault has.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:12 PM
hu

Don't believe me? I dare you to find me a used oil analysis of synthetic oil going bad at less than 7k. Go ahead and search bob is the oil guy, you will_not find one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have a good point about the oil change interval. My wife paid 75k for her MB. MB recomends an oil change every 12k miles. I have it changed between MB recommended intervals. I have no doubt that synthetic oil will last a long time. One thing though...it still gets dirty. That is my justification for changing it more often. Not only that, in my mind it is a cheap insurance policy... My wife and I had a huge discussion about this. I said, why pay 75k for a car, then go cheap?

While nobody here cares about MB, I still use Mobil 1 in my Prelude. Change the oil 3-4k miles. If it is a waste, then its on me.

Quick Reply: oil/engine additive suggestions for longevity?