All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

b20 cylinder wall lubrication?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b20 cylinder wall lubrication?

just a random question for you all.

the oem b20 rods have an "oil hole" machined through the rod facing the intake side of the block (the matching bearings also has a hole in it)

i am assuming this is to carry high pressure oil from in between the bearing and crank and fire it out against the cylinder wall/piston to provide lubrication.

i have some aftermarket forged rods going into my b20 and they dont have that oil channel in them. will i run into lubrication issues? also how do the walls lubricate themselves with aftermarket rods?

thanks!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20 cylinder wall lubrication?

****. looks like i will be getting my engineering guy to drill these new rods the same way the oem rods have been done.

unless anyone knows how to install oil squirters into an ls/b20 ???
Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redsolturbo
just a random question for you all.

the oem b20 rods have an "oil hole" machined through the rod facing the intake side of the block (the matching bearings also has a hole in it)

i am assuming this is to carry high pressure oil from in between the bearing and crank and fire it out against the cylinder wall/piston to provide lubrication.

i have some aftermarket forged rods going into my b20 and they dont have that oil channel in them. will i run into lubrication issues? also how do the walls lubricate themselves with aftermarket rods?

thanks!
I believe the oil holes spray oil towards the bottom of the piston and cool down the piston, not to lubricate the cylinder walls. Typically forged pistons don't need to be cooled down unlike cast pistons. But I believe it depends on the type of material used in the forging process.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by all-mtr-teg
I believe the oil holes spray oil towards the bottom of the piston and cool down the piston, not to lubricate the cylinder walls. Typically forged pistons don't need to be cooled down unlike cast pistons. But I believe it depends on the type of material used in the forging process.
True ..