All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

B16A2 Head Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A2 Head Problems

Hey guys,

I figure I could get more knowledgeable responses here.

Here's my story; Well, my 2000 Civic Si was heavily burning oil ever since I got it. Symptoms pointed out to bad valve seals and guides (smoking blue on cold start ups) and my cyl 4 spark plug was always fouling out while cyl 1-3 were normal. Compression checked out fine across all four (185-190 psi) and all injectors were pulsating to rule out possibility of a sticking injector fouling out the cyl 4 spark plug.

So I recently decided to fix my oil burning problem. I had the head removed by a shop owned by a friend and is knowledgeable with Hondas. The head was then sent off to the machine shop only to find out the head was worked on before and that I had bronze valve guide inserts that were heavily worn along with shot valve seals. I was pretty sure this was the main cause of oil burning and hoping it would be fixed as soon as the head was back and the engine reassembled.

So I had the valve seals and guides all replaced. All intake and exhaust valves were cleaned and head was fully cleaned with a mild port and a 16 valve job. Everything was then measured and the valve train was assembled to spec. The head also got a full OEM Honda top end gasket kit when reassembled onto the block.

Well, I recenly got my car back from the shop and the problem I have now is that my cyl 4 spark plug still fouls out like before and when I look down on the cyl 4 piston, it's wet like there's oil on it. The other 3 cyl's are fine and plugs are fine too. I am still buring oil on start ups since it smokes blue for like 30 secs. However, the oil consumption is a lot less than it was before but still a decent amount to notice it dropping.

The car does run like a champ, pulls hard and more smoothly than before. But the engine is still consuming oil and the cyl 4 spark plug keeps fouling out.

What can be my possible problems? Valve guides or seals possibly installed wrong?

I was told it could be my piston rings but my cyl walls were smooth and showed no signs of scoring when the head was off. Also, the car does not constantly smoke but only on start ups so that makes me think the rings are fine.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:18 AM
New User

Default Re: B16A2 Head Problems

yea its burning oil.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A2 Head Problems

Originally Posted by Blitztek
yea its burning oil.
Thank you captain obvious!

OP, do a compression test and add a bit of oil to cylinder 4, if the test numbers jump up, you got bad rings. As for the valve guides, were valve to guide clearances measured?