Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Ati vs fluidampr vs oem harmonic balancer

Originally Posted by Garrett
i'm confused when I see this

Laskey Racing Online Store
Originally Posted by Fluidampr-Tech
Hi Garrett,

My name is Ivan and I am with Fluidampr. Did you read posts #15 and #17 where I address the Laskey chart?

Please feel free to reach out to me directly at ivan@fluidampr.com if there are any questions regarding vibrations or dampers that I can help with.

-Ivan
Yea i believe the test were not done on a Honda engine but a small block.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
It seems to me an interference fit between the crank and damper would do a better job at absorbing harmonics than a pulley/damper that just slips into the crank.
Getting paranoid about your ctr pulley ryanplayjoint?
I agree on the interference fit transferring harmonics better. Lol, concerned yes. Paranoid? Maybe a little. For the average car guy/girl you won't realize the harmonic vibrations are a problem until your oil pump gear is in prices.

All the high horsepower engines v8, 6cyl, 4cyl seem to be running the ati damper. The $350.00 is cheap ins. and well worth the piece of mind. You don't want something bad to happen and then start guessing if it was the crank damper you were running.

I have one to install personally but it really makes it a pita to service the car. Make sure all the adjustment have been made and send it home. Btw it takes a different alt. Belt.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett
i'm confused when I see this

Laskey Racing Online Store

ALSO, pulling weight off of the crank that close to the center line will add ZERO horsepower or rpm capability. Don't fool yourself on this.

UPDATE: Since writing this, we have started selling the ATI line of dampers for the following reasons..

2)The ATI is 1.25 pounds lighter than the fluid unit.
lolwut

How can anyone take that link seriously?

CTR N1 pulley user here. Used it for over 10k miles on 2 different motors (1st motor had 0 issues, 2nd is current daily doing 4-500 miles a week...) Not saying I dont think a Fluidampr would be better, but I do not think the N1 is going to hurt anything.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by F22Master
lolwut

How can anyone take that link seriously?

CTR N1 pulley user here. Used it for over 10k miles on 2 different motors (1st motor had 0 issues, 2nd is current daily doing 4-500 miles a week...) Not saying I dont think a Fluidampr would be better, but I do not think the N1 is going to hurt anything.
Isnt that one a solid pulley? theres no dampning from that though..

I had very strong assumptions that years ago shortly after installing a unorthadox underdrive crank pulley that it was the cause of rod bearing failure but never dug into it much deeper it also is a solid pulley.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, CTR N1 is a solid pulley.

As I said in my previous post, I do believe that a Fluidampr pulley may in fact be better. But I dont think the solid pulley is going to damage my engine.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, CTR N1 is a solid pulley.

As I said in my previous post, I do believe that a Fluidampr pulley may in fact be better. But I dont think the solid pulley is going to damage my engine.
Years ago i had a all motor GSR 216 whp, i one day swaped the gsr cp for a unorthadox under drive crank pulley, also a solid piece, about a month or so later the engine lost a rod a bearing some how.., me and my mech. friend believed it had to do with the crank pulley i used.. it just seemed fishy after i swaped the pulley.. Not to say it will happen to you or anyone or even it had anything to do with the pulley it just was fishy to me so the science behind the part makes me think it had to do with no dampning. but its better safe than sorry, not sure if thats even is a oem part but im sure it works but whats the benifit besides no P.S and A.C drives? im sure its a bit lighter but is it smaller in diameter for better acceleration?
Old 12-03-2015, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a ctr crank pulley for years on my stock bottom end b20vtec. Made 206whp on motor and 293whp on nitrous. Never had any issues with bearings or knocking, ran flawlessly. More and more I read, the more im surprised I didnt have any issues. Theres only one thing I can think of that prevented any issues is that I was using a fidanza 7lb flywheel. maybe the the fidanza flywheel helped offset the weight lost from the crank pulley on the rotating assembly. This is just a theory from my experiences. I am now using a fluidampr.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The N1 pulley is an OEM honda part. It weighs like 1.5 lbs I think. Stock ones are around 6 or 7.

If you honestly think removing 5+ pounds of rotating weight from the crankshaft wont do anything for performance, then why do they make lightweight flywheels?
Old 12-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fluidampr-Tech
Hi Garrett,

My name is Ivan and I am with Fluidampr. Did you read posts #15 and #17 where I address the Laskey chart?

Please feel free to reach out to me directly at ivan@fluidampr.com if there are any questions regarding vibrations or dampers that I can help with.

-Ivan
Hi Ivan, thanks a lot for your reply, I'm subcribing this topic from so long that I didn't remember your already talked about those facts

thanks a lot for those great informations and still here to answer.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting reading. I tried to convince my brother to buy a Fluidampr last month but they didn't make one for his application. He ended up with an ATI unit. My take is both ATI and Fluidampr add extra insurance over the OEM piece. To which one is better, that's always debatable because they use different ways of reducing vibration.

Intersting note to make, ATI are SFI certified and clearly stated that they are. Fluidampr, maybe it is the wording but nothing on their website clearly states that they are SFI certified. They explain what a SFI certification is, and say they send their parts to be tested and SFI certified... but lacks the information if they are certified and made the cut. I understand that they are on the list for making SFI certified parts, but is that only some of them? Or all of them?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My fluidampr requires a pulley puller to get it off, is that not normal?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Garrett,

You are certainly welcome. Again, please reach out to me if there is anything else I can help with.

FlewByU352,

Our website is currently in the middle of a redesign... we recognize it needs help! All Fluidampr products are SFI 18.1 certified.

bks84,

Versus OEM slip fit, Fluidampr incorporates a slight press fit. This helps with ensuring a tight fit (to reduce the chance of slipping) and for absorbing harmonics, in particular with built motors.

-Ivan
Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what I see here is

like. seriously. a fluidamper representative is gonna come here and be like

bruh our product sucks *** compared to competition. don't even buy it. okay.
really its not that great...

funny thing is. people fall for that **** all the time.

it would be great to have ATI rep come here as well then we might get some real tech and both sides of the story. I'm in for ati rep information...
Old 12-03-2015, 09:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

fluidamper dude questions for you

why provide HP instead of vibration measurements when you selling a vibration dampener.(I saw your later posts after)

2 why not test your direct competitor is you claim its as good or better than competitor?

3 was the test done by fluidamper or independent shop?

4 since you pointed out the rpm at which the fluidamper outperforms the ati before 7000. rpm
which is more chance of engine failure? when your have vibrations at below 7000rpm or when you have vibrations at 9000-10000rpm?

I also found some interesting discussion about this here:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211667

I Recently Called Three Crank Makers And Asked What Damper They Liked To See Hanging On The Front Of Their Cranks. They All Said Ati. The Manufactuers Were Crower, Lunati And Windberg. What Is Everyones Opinion On Dampers???

I broke a snout off a forged crank. When I called the crank manufacturer the first thing they asked me was what dampner was I using. When I replied fluiddampner they told me that is why the crank broke.

The original Fluid damper was tuned to a specific application like each engine so I was told, and when they went to mass production it got generic and started having problems NASCAR won't allow them. Mike Lewis recommended I change so mine is a door stop and I'm using ATI

btw I'm not an ATI fanboy. I almost bought a fluidamper then decided to do a google search and came up with a lot of places almost all saying that ATI damper is better in most applications

and this also I'm wondering:

When you buy a better crank & it comes with instructions telling you not to use fluid filled dampers there really is a reason.

NASCAR banned fluid filled dampers many years ago due to safety concerns when the ends of cranks complete with the damper went flying through the air

I know you can say. oooh this is internet theres no proof. but what you posted is also not proof and can easily be fabricated by fluidamper to support what you are saying in order to promote your product.

Last edited by raverx3m; 12-03-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hello sir i would like to know at what hp rating would you recommend a fluidampr I'm currently running a oem harmonic balancer on a boosted gsr making 395hp thanks you
Old 12-14-2015, 09:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

either is still better than OEM no matter what HP you got.
oem supposed to be replaced when rubber cracks.
nobody does that.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Ati vs fluidampr vs oem harmonic balancer

The N1 pulley is an OEM honda part. It weighs like 1.5 lbs I think. Stock ones are around 6 or 7.

If you honestly think removing 5+ pounds of rotating weight from the crankshaft wont do anything for performance, then why do they make lightweight flywheels?
That has to do with inertia. The farther inboard the weight is, the lower the inertia. Taking 5lbs off a damper is like taking 1lb off the flywheel (not exactly, but you get the idea) iirc i remember hearing that going from a 30lb flywheel to a 14lb flywheel is like taking 90lbs off the damper (this is based off a datsun L series engine)

That smaller the diameter, the lower the inertia. Thats why a light weight flywheel makes such a big difference. The mass is so far out that it has a ton of inertia.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/1136...rdrive-pulley/

Last post. Roughly 1lb off the flywheel equals 16 lbs off the pulley. (Impossible) therefore, its better to shave weight off the flywheel than the pulley
Old 12-21-2015, 04:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I took so long to reply. It has been a crazy couple of weeks, first the PRI Show the week of the 7th, then playing catch up last week...

Raverx3m:

I believe all of your questions can be answered if you reread the entire thread. Both your questions and the entire cut n paste section from the forum post back in 2008.

Not only did I provide H.P. and torque charts but I also provided torsional twist charts. In addition, I provided testing to our competitor in post #9 for the Honda S2000 application performed by Larry Widmer at Endyn in conjunction with Urge Designs and in post #17 comparing a BBC application performed by Mike Stawicki Racing Engines.

I want to be clear... I did not want to come in here and try to get into which product is better. I wanted to clear up confusion regarding Fluidampr products and the myths that have been put out there. I was also here to provide technical insight from my experience working for a harmonic damper/balancer manufacturer for over 17 years. I do understand your concerns. There is a mistrust for any marketing by a manufacturer and the main reason why many manufacturers do not participate in forums. If you do not trust the results and information I have provided I recommend performing your own independent test with an accredited NVH engineering firm. This is a service offered by Fluidampr's parent company Vibratech TVD to many major OEM's. This professional OEM level testing starts at approx. $5k per day.

singlejingle:

There is no H.P. or RPM limit. All Fluidampr's use the same design. Viscous technology is able to cover a wide range of harmonics regardless of H.P. or RPM. SFI is a safety testing to 13,000 RPM's for a period of one hour to ensure the unit will not separate. We have had many customers pushing well past 9K and some even above the 10K level and anywhere from stock H.P. to 4000+ H.P on pulling truck and tractors.

Please reach out to me with any other questions you may have.

Thank you,
Ivan
Old 12-21-2015, 01:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm just waiting for ati to reply

its always good to hear from both sides not just one.

I hope you understand why I'm suspicious.

if I told you that I'm the best car stereo installer in north west would you belive me? even if I show you few of my installs? or would you talk to other shops too?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:00 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

I am a part of not only the "rice-burner world" but also the deisel world, and it seems most deisel owners use Fluidampr dampers. I don't think I've seen not one using ATI. Granted our trucks are only spinning to 3-5k rpm, but often times producing 2,000+ lb/ft. Idk, someone in a previous post said real world performance is what matters, so just some food for thought
Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bumping for the sake of knowledge. This was a good thread.... anymore input?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by gutted-dx
Bumping for the sake of knowledge. This was a good thread.... anymore input?
Not really. Nothing has changed in 2 years.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crossplane v8 uses harmonic balancer

inline 4 engine have 2 sets of vibrations

primary vibrations are cancel out with crankshaft counter weight

seconds vibrations are cancel out with balance shaft (oil pump)

honda inline 4 engine do not have harmonic balancer, it’s a crank pulley.

But honda only install balance shaft on engine larger than 2000cc, and then many models like s2000, fd2, dc5 are factory balance shaft delete