Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Anyone ever succeeded in creating a quiet custom exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever succeeded in creating a quiet custom exhaust?

Has anyone ever actually succeeded in making a QUIET performance-oriented all-motor exhaust on a Honda?

Sure...plenty of people can claim "it has a nice deep tone"... blah blah blah.. "it's not too loud" ... But we all know what a Honda sounds like at over 5000RPM WOT ....

Has anyone ever made a custom exhaust that approaches anything close to "a stock sounding exhaust" ?

You know...perhaps...something wild... like a 2.5" Cadillac muffler....combined with a REAL Helmholtz resonator and a Moroso Spiral Flow ... etc

And the point of this thread isn't another.. "What exhaust is the quietest?" "RSR" "HKS" "Mugen twin loop" "ES oval with glasspack" "Turbo muffler with glass pack" "Blah blah blah" thread....

Has anyone fabbed an exhaust that they think sounds like something a car manufacturer wouldn't be afraid to fit as original equipment?..

Part of the problem I see is that most exhaust systems are just using glass-pack style sound deadening in the whole system... sure some might have louvers.. some might have perforations.. some might have some ceramic, stainless, fiberglass, foobar, flubber, packing... but I have not seen a lot of baffled systems other than a few JDM ones (which tend to be quiet).. and the favorite of our redneck friends... Flowmaster....

Anyways... Anyone have anything interesting to add on this idea of a STEALTHY performance Honda exhaust?

Old 10-27-2004, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone ever succeeded in creating a quiet custom exhaust? (alexdog69)

heh..guess not
Old 10-27-2004, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone ever succeeded in creating a quiet custom exhaust? (alexdog69)

i think mines quieter than the new G35 exhaust. i cannot hear it at idle unless im out behind the car and i cannot hear it cruising. when i get on it i hear the intake more. its a full 2.5 inch from the header to the tail, with perforated core (louvers suck!) glasspack resonator and a perforated core glasspack dynomax can in the back

Old 10-27-2004, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever succeeded in creating a quiet custom exhaust? (johnzm)

I have Hytech full exhaust w/ the twinloop muffler on my ITR and my car sounds nothing like the typical fart can exhaust on about every honda on the road. My engine is way louder than my exhaust...Usually it's the opposite.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever succeeded in creating a quiet custom exhaust? (lsed-eg)

I used a cat, a new resonator, and a es oval and it was quiet. I put the resonator really close to the muffler when i had custom piping made, i dunno if thats what made it that way. Before all motor I was turbo with this exhaust and you couldnt tell the damn thing was even running
Old 10-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone ever succeeded in creating a quiet custom exhaust? (timesnap)

hmmm..... resonated test pipes....i.e. no cat makes a hondas a LOT louder huh?
Old 10-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is loud as **** with no cat!
Old 10-27-2004, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever succeeded in creating a quiet custom exhaust? (hybrid_vtec)

ive got a Thermal Classic on my LS with cat. its very quiet at idle, i have to get down next to the tip to hear it. but id say its loud at WOT. i havent heard it outside the car, but i think its a little too loud IMO. with my new motor, im going to get a full 2.5" Kteller system, with the largest resonator possible, and im probably going to custom make a twin pass muffler out of a dual muffler for suvs. i think it will be very quiet

Old 10-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Banned

Default Re: Anyone ever succeeded in creating a quiet custom exhaust? (Eviloliv3)

I'm running a 2.5 header back custom exhaust with a 2.5" 18" resonator and a "super turbo" oval style muffler. Its quiet!

Old 10-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was gonna try using like 2 18" resonators, ill let u know how it works out
Old 10-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WrongWD)

Hmmm ive tried a few set ups... using 2.25" piping .. ive tried a regular perforated resonator (about 16") and then went to a louvered 27" long glass pack... ive tried a hooker aero chamber .. a turbo muffler .. and a mugen twin loop style universal (mounted transversely like stock on an EF)... the twin loop seemed pretty quiet but it didnt have enough ground clearance so it only stayed on for about an hour ..

these were all fitted on a little saturday afternoon testing session .. one after the other .. to see how they worked .. the hytech/mugen style unit was by far the best but not seem to be easily useable on an EF .. unless ofcoz u lose the big rear sway bar and mount it like an EG

I have a resonated test pipe .. i think that may be a large part of the problem ....

i was thinking about trying a Moroso Spiral Flow --> Magnaflow round case muffler --> Flowmaster V8 muffler (i know it sounds weird to use one on a honda but i would like to experiment with a muffler that has a very large case and baffles inside it).... or perhaps a GM/Ford OEM muffler if I can find one without such a thick case....I'm gonna try fitting a 20" case length turbo muffler (something resembling those EF Greddy MX systems) before redoing the whole thing, tho..and see how that goes...

Anyways...ramble ramble... So far i cant find anything that sounds "quiet" when under heavy throttle.... Sure .. "deep tone" .. "not too loud" .. Im trying to get something where you just hear the intake ..

Perhaps I should just give up on the resonated test pipe as that is the source of most of my woes? I would have tried it in the little "testing session" but I don't have one.. as my car was a STD with the cat on the manifold (it has a B-series now however).. so i couldnt reuse it..

Anyways..im so jealous of you guys with the twin loops..those things sound great..

Does anyone know where to get a real Helmholtz resonator like Honda fits on the stock midpipe? I don't mean a glass pack either..
Old 10-27-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Re: (alexdog69)

i want the same thing...im forever looking on the net to find a quiet AND very free flowing exhaust...but if need be i would give up the horses to make it quieter

Dave
Old 10-27-2004, 05:44 PM

hmm anyone try like 2 22inch resonators back too back?no cat..?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Surubasi00)

hmmm
well this is my latest prospect for the quiet-but-fast honda 'holy grail' .. but i have a feeling it, like many mufflers, won't fit nicely under an EF in the stock location...

GM p/n 1628406
Cadillac Eldorado 84-85
2.5" inlet
2.25" outlet
19W x 11.5H x 5.25D" case

if anyone tries it.. it would be best to get the OEM GM part.. or perhaps a Walker.. but not an Autozone.. as it will probably be something like a Defender brand product (aka Maremont..makers of Cherry Bomb).. which is just a Cherry bomb turbo in a custom package designed for direct OEM replacement

i dont know how much it would affect power band versus a less restrictive muffler.. but i would theorize that it probably won't be [very?] noticeable in most set ups (obviously a 2.2L 10,000RPM monster motor might not like it at all..but you get the idea).. no where near stock honda vs any decent aftermarket setup... it is designed to flow a decent amount of CFM for the V8 it normally goes on....
Old 10-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tommorow I'm having my exhaust welded up. It's apparently the same as the one johnzm has. Kteller 2.5" stainless piping, Thrush 28" glasspack, Dynomax Ultraflow muffler. A guy at work has just the muffler with no glasspack and it sounds almost stock on his 12 second civic. A little flat black paint and it'll be sleeping away. Stock TSX tip too.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drdisco69)

A straight-thru muffler with no resonator.... and it sounds stock?
Idling and cruising around?... or at high rpm and/or in the neighborhood of WOT?

I have a Dynomax Ultraflo muffler on my other car.. I don't see how it could be quiet on a Honda under heavy throttle, especially with no glasspack.... ??
Old 10-27-2004, 07:14 PM
New User

My exhaust system is as follows:
headertech header - 3" Pipe that looks like a lower case y - 3" Qtec E-cutout - The other pipe goes to a random technology high flow cat, the exhaust is an RSR Ex-Mag that is 2.38" piping with a resonator, and a very quiet muffler. 3" straight pipe with dump off the QTEC.

Open/Close = Really loud/Really quiet
Old 10-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MaxBoost)

I have heard a lot of good things about the RSR ExMags... Does it start to roar under VTEC / WOT? Or is it very close to a stock GSR in sound?
Old 10-28-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a worldsport catback and i can't hear the exhaust unless it's over 6500 and all you hear is intake, but if i had a stock air box the exhaust would be near stock sounding.
8000 rpm
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

about 5000rpm
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D
Old 10-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should try to find a REAL 1964 Chrysler Imperial muffler. many of the V8 boys who want a quieter tone but still want the flow use them. they are very often reported to have better flow than Flowmaster mufflers. the way you can tell if its real is whether or not there is a factory indent in the side of it where it had to be notched to clear the crossmember.

a couple of local guys run these on their beater/sleeper cars and they can really sneak up on you, even at full throttle!
Old 10-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sobe_Death)

oh, and my setup is a Magnaflow oval muffler with a glasspack resonator, you can still hear it, but it is probably quieter than the Apex WS system. ive never heard mine side by side with one, but in car, it sounds quieter
Old 10-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crstfr14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a worldsport catback and i can't hear the exhaust unless it's over 6500 and all you hear is intake, but if i had a stock air box the exhaust would be near stock sounding.
8000 rpm
</TD></TR></TABLE>

my personal set up is 2.5 piping from kteller and a WS muffeler no resonators cat ect havn't heard it yet still building motor but it should be quiet
JASON
Old 10-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drdisco69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tommorow I'm having my exhaust welded up. It's apparently the same as the one johnzm has. Kteller 2.5" stainless piping, Thrush 28" glasspack, Dynomax Ultraflow muffler. A guy at work has just the muffler with no glasspack and it sounds almost stock on his 12 second civic. A little flat black paint and it'll be sleeping away. Stock TSX tip too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hope u give us some results they are so dam quiet when new but will get a little louder until the glasspacks break in. i LOVE mine so much better sounding than even aftermarket ****.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:53 AM

Default Re: (johnzm)

I just built a 2.25 setup straight off the header all the way back, I used the typical end muffler stainless 3" straight through design, and I tried the turbo muffler about 18" off the header the baffels ended up comming lose inside and performance was not that great. then I switched to the all welded straight through magnaflow (made for v8's) 3" in and out. big power gain and the sound is very mellow! you do not hear it at idle and over 5k it is a very nice mellow tone. (no cat, no resinator) all straight through muffler's
Old 10-29-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried to build a performance exhaust that sounds stock. I made a 2.5" exhaust using 3 magnaflows, 1 moroso spiral flow, and one carsound cat. It sounds very nice, but is still loud enough to get noticed, although I am supercharged, so that makes it louder. I suppose the only way to have a stock sounding exhaust is to use baffled mufflers, but that really isn't much of a performance exhaust imho. But my exhaust is STEALTHY at least looks wise.

Modified by Brad at 12:59 AM 1/21/2005

Quick Reply: Anyone ever succeeded in creating a quiet custom exhaust?