Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Agamemnon96's LSVTEC Build Thread Progress: Suggestions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agamemnon96's LSVTEC Build Thread Progress: Suggestions welcome

Hey guys, I am new to the forums and hope this is in the right place. After doing some reading into LS/Vtec engine builds I've decided that's what I want to swap into my EG sedan (thing is pretty damn clean and looks oem down to the pinstripes). Anyways I've rebuilt a couple honda engines at school but there we don't worry about a few things since they are training dummies pretty much so just wanted some extra advice for what I'm building specifically instead of frantically searching the forums for someone with the exact build I have parts for and want. Build will be N/A.

Here is the list of what I have and want for my build and hope you guys can add onto it or give me some more specifics of what I will need done.

Have:
B18B1 block
P72 GSR Head
P72 ECU
Intake manifold from same head

List of what I still need:
Ls/vtec conversion kit (Goldeneagle)
Valve Cover Gasket Set
ARP Head Studs
ARP Rod Blots
Main and Rod bearings
P72 Water pump
P72 Timing Belt
Oil pump (???)

As far as machining work goes all I have been told is to have the block honed or bored, as well as heat tanked.
Then to have the head port and polished.

Any advice from people that have done a b18b block with GSR heads that can steer me in a good direction will be much appreciated! Thanks
Old 09-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Agamemnon96's LSVTEC Build Thread Progress: Suggestions welcome

Upgrade the stock Ls pistons to a p30/itr pistons. Would upgrade the intake manifold too.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go through the build and dyno sheets at the top of this section
Old 09-21-2016, 04:03 AM
I like the tuna here

You will have to have the rod ends resized when you install the ARP rod bolts, so factor that cost in. Also as r_Senik mentioned, I would definitely upgrade the pistons, around 12:1 or so compression is a good target IMO. If I had to do my LSVTEC build over again, I would have gone with forged pistons at the very least, that way you always have the option of spraying a little nitrous later on down the road when you start getting bored.

Also, I have a GE LS-VTEC conversion kit still BNIB for sale. $160 shipped. Same BNIB kit from them is $218 + shipping...just sayin'.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Couldn't find any b18b gsr on the first ones I looked at thay actually had dyno results. I work at a stealership so i get a huge discount at our machine shop so not too worried about the costs of machining.

Still considering having the engine bored to 84mm for a 2.0l displacement but not 100% sure yet. And looking online couldn't find any jdm itr or p30 pistons.

Definitely will not be boosting or running nitrous on this engine ever. Just making a clean new engine for my daily that still will have some *****. Will be boosting a different civic once I get the cash to do a legit build for it.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

You cannot bore a GS-R or LS to 84mm w/o sleeving.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:23 AM
I like the tuna here

Originally Posted by Agamemnon96
Definitely will not be boosting or running nitrous on this engine ever.
You say that now...lol that was my thinking. Except now my buddy put nitrous on his fully built B20VTEC and ***** all over my car at the track. I would love to run a 100 shot without worrying about my cast pistons going kaboom.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
You say that now...lol that was my thinking. Except now my buddy put nitrous on his fully built B20VTEC and ***** all over my car at the track. I would love to run a 100 shot without worrying about my cast pistons going kaboom.
Yea it's gonna be my daily that is just gonna have a little extra oomf. Will be building a separate honda next year that will handle that haha

And what's can I bore to without sleeving? I've heard some bad things about sleeving and would like to avoid it, if not I'll just have it honed
Old 09-22-2016, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Agamemnon96's LSVTEC Build Thread Progress: Suggestions welcome

You've heard wrong. Sleeving is based upon who does it, not that it's done. Quality machine shops do good work, if they know what they're doing to a Honda engine.

You can only go 82mm safely. That's it. Otherwise, sleeve or go with the CNC CSS WERX yabba-dabba-do process (j/k too many letters ) as an in-between, but you can only go 81.5mm even with that process
Old 09-25-2016, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You've heard wrong. Sleeving is based upon who does it, not that it's done. Quality machine shops do good work, if they know what they're doing to a Honda engine.

You can only go 82mm safely. That's it. Otherwise, sleeve or go with the CNC CSS WERX yabba-dabba-do process (j/k too many letters ) as an in-between, but you can only go 81.5mm even with that process

Alright sounds like I'll just have them overbore only as needed. Got the block completely apart yesterday and taking it to the machine shop tomorrow to see what we will need done
Old 10-13-2016, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: Machine shop has all the measurements done for the block, and the head is also getting a good clean and resurface right now. They wont bore the block until they have the pistons in hand to make sure they bore/hone match the block to them but they said it will need to be 81.5mm pistons going in. Anyone know where I can get some p30 pistons that are 81.5mm? My parts guys called honda and found that they have "p30" pistons in the size i need but they are more than likely pr3 pistons. Want to just get some pistons that wont require any machining of the rods in order to get them to fit and run together without any issues.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could try InlineFour.. but I know they charge a lot. RS machines makes 81.5 but only in usdm. I'm sure we all wished they made jdm spec. Check out ebay, I"ve seen 81.5 on there..
Old 10-14-2016, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nippon-Racing-JDM-Civic-Type-R-CTR-B16B-Pistons-Rings-B16A-CTR-NEW-SI-81-50mm/151644041858?roken=cUgayN&soutkn=Iji4kB

These are the pistons I'm looking at with rings. I'm confused if they will work with my ls rods and gsr head though. Unfortunately for a noob like me I don't know if they are p30 or pr3 and I don't want to order them and have them cause issues with valve or head clearance. Also don't want to have my rods machined to make them fit if i can avoid it (hence why I'm going for p30)

Thanks in advance. If we can be sure they will work I should be able to order them now and get started on assembly next week hopefully :D
Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those look like CTR Pistons.. those will yield crazy compression. However with the Gsr head I would not personally run. It's possible i think but I would get the PTV clearance tested.. I say just go with pr3. It's up to you. Check out cspeed racing compression calculator. You can tinker with all sorts of combinations.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found some aftermarket "p30" pistons from nippon on ebay. Wish I would've waited a day to order them because my coworker has some eagle rods for an LS he can't use because he has a b20 crank. Had I known I would've got the full floating ones for aftermarket rods instead of the ones for stock rods. Oh well the stock ones should handle fine after getting them shot peneed correct?
Old 10-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found some aftermarket "p30" pistons from nippon on ebay. Wish I would've waited a day to order them because my coworker has some eagle rods for an LS he can't use because he has a b20 crank. Had I known I would've got the full floating ones for aftermarket rods instead of the ones for stock rods. Oh well the stock ones should handle fine after getting them shot peneed correct?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn where are those eagle rods, I'll buy them lol. Stock rods will be fine. I don't think you plan on revving up to 9k. Shot peen IMO isn't necessary. Im not saying it won't be beneficial but at the same time I don't think it's needed . Check out my thread I got good stuff on there..

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...build-3286742/
Old 10-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Tell your friend at work to use those Eagle "LS" rods with his B20 crankshaft... it works just fine. The LS crank and B20 crank are the same.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You cannot bore a GS-R or LS to 84mm w/o sleeving.
Why is that exactly? I was always led to believe that LS and B20 blocks have been almost identical excluding the bore.. my buddy did tell me that the sleeves consist of different construction or some sh*t. Did try researching but couldn't find nothing.. Sorry to post if this is wrong place just curious.

Thanks G
Old 10-16-2016, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Tell your friend at work to use those Eagle "LS" rods with his B20 crankshaft... it works just fine. The LS crank and B20 crank are the same.
Well seeing how they dont fit onto his crank when he tried to put em on his crank, I'm confused as to how they work just fine with em? Not sure but they might be the same stroke but arent the same because they dont fit on there at all

Either that or for some reason his b20 doesnt have a b20 crank in it
Old 10-16-2016, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Couchwarrior
Damn where are those eagle rods, I'll buy them lol. Stock rods will be fine. I don't think you plan on revving up to 9k. Shot peen IMO isn't necessary. Im not saying it won't be beneficial but at the same time I don't think it's needed . Check out my thread I got good stuff on there..

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...build-3286742/

Will do thanks!
Old 10-18-2016, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Couchwarrior
Why is that exactly? I was always led to believe that LS and B20 blocks have been almost identical excluding the bore.. my buddy did tell me that the sleeves consist of different construction or some sh*t. Did try researching but couldn't find nothing.. Sorry to post if this is wrong place just curious.

Thanks G
You actually answered your own question. Considering that the original cylinder material makeup of the LS (this also goes with GS-R & B16)
that prevents the ability for the bore. The B20 is a different animal altogether. You would think they are extremely similar based upon the way they are used similarly in NA applications. But they are not.