Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Aftermarket b16 head???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket b16 head???

What do u guys think about this, should i get this or just go with a normal used honda made head.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VTEC-H...ht_1291wt_1396
Old 04-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket b16 head???

SERIOUSLY?!?!? lets see ebay speedmaster head or honda head. who the **** is speedmaster. that is a bare head for 329 you still need everything to go inside of it. itll easily cost you over 1200 to get that head complete with new parts. get a decent used head, send it straight to the machine shop and you will more than likely have less than 600 into a honda head, and it will be complete.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by mike703
SERIOUSLY?!?!? lets see ebay speedmaster head or honda head. who the **** is speedmaster. that is a bare head for 329 you still need everything to go inside of it. itll easily cost you over 1200 to get that head complete with new parts. get a decent used head, send it straight to the machine shop and you will more than likely have less than 600 into a honda head, and it will be complete.
I already have everything else, all i need is the bare head. I was looking into this because i didn't want to run the risk of getting another damaged head.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haven't seen that before, i would be curious how long they have been making them and talk to people who are using them. Just my .02
Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I would contact them.. They list there # in the auction so you could always call them and pick there brain on it?

I have never heard of there heads before and I live like 20 minutes away from there location. It says for an extra like $70 you can upgrade the head to:

The Speedmaster Engineering Aluminum Cylinder Head Feature:

Hardened Seats

High Grade Aluminum

3-Angle Valve Seat Design

Available fully CNC Machined

Compatible with stock components

Advanced Port Design for Greater Flow

Please call us if you have any questions 909-605-1123

It also says: No reasonable offer will be refused!!!

So you could possibly offer them whatever you feel its worth and they might take your offer? Tell them that you are a honda-tech member and you will personally do a full write up on it to prove to all of the skeptics that hes selling a quality product? Who knows they might possibly offer you one at a crazy discount price or a free one depending on what you say to them and if hes a cool guy etc.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any NEW, news on this, I'm thinking about buying the CNC head as well, and did a search on the head and this was forum post was the only thing that came up that I could find...thanks...
Old 06-18-2012, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I'm correct isn't Ebay rep based on the digit after the decimal? So a 99.3% feed back would be pretty shitty right? Seems a bit sketch but if you can contact them I would first.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Swap'DShuttle
If I'm correct isn't Ebay rep based on the digit after the decimal? So a 99.3% feed back would be pretty shitty right? Seems a bit sketch but if you can contact them I would first.

yeah ebay is about rep, but the more people you sell to the harder is is to keep everyone happy, i have a buisness acct on ebay, and i've delt with my fare share of buyers...especially those that act like they are mechanics...all the people that have posted negative feedback, is for stupid simple stuff, half of them are ither ordered the wrong product or shipping took to long,every one that bought one of these heads said that it was a great product or something close to it...i've already talked to them, and they told me all the details about the head and where it's from, they even told me there was a 10day delay...was just wondering if the person that posted this wound up getting it or not...
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And now to revive an old dying thread that no one has put any real information into. I have acquired one of these heads recently and will be installing some used old b16a2 valvetrain. All the internals are still within factory service limits. I will assemble the head and mate it to a b16a2 Shortblock for testing. I will be testing this basic setup to gauge the capacity of the speedmaster heads. the first go around at this will be strictly used stock build. secondly it will be a supertech build.

One thing I do want to mention. when I first received the head, it was like Christmas...and not really in the good way. upon opening the box AMD removing the head, they were hundreds of little aluminum flakes pouring out of random locations. this leads me to believe that the head were not thoroughly cleaned prior to shipment. (Reminds me of obx) I would highly recommend taking the head to you local competent machine shop and hot tanking it at least twice for good measure. as far as the valve guides go, the are actually within spec, at the proper angle, and sturdy so far. the cam cap bolts that are supplied are surprisingly nice bolts. they are all grade 8 and capable of higher torque. Although they are nice and shiny, there are 4 bolts that you really can't even use as those four are the extended studs needed to bolt your valve cover on.

I will continue on my research and testing of the aftermarket head and give feedback to the best of my knowledge..
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It should be down to the buyer to ensure the left over machining has been cleaned out regardless. Just power wash it down, it will only take 30 minutes and it will be spotless .
Old 10-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Swap'DShuttle
Lol
Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Everything procomp makes is straight up JUNK.

They have been making domestic v8 components for several years and everyone steers clear of them for good reason.

I bought one procomp product and it was a set of head studs for a small block ford . . . they were "8740" heat treated/black oxide coated etc just like ARPs but all of the long studs broke around 60ft-lbs when they are supposed to go out to 75ft-lbs. They were 7/16 coarse thread.

I also saw a set of procomp small block chevrolet heads where the rocker arm stud was off 4-5* degrees from the valve stem.

I personally would stay far away from anything procomp but if you do buy a set you WILL have to be the QC on anything they make and be expected to have machine work done.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone used one of these CNC heads yet? I was thinking about getting one.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Assembled the head a while back and it ran fine on stock internals. Wrapped fine up 9k. after dropping in Brian crower valve springs and retainers, the head cracked underneath the lower valve spring retainer. it was run on an itr bottom. it wrapped up to 9k on the dyno made just over 210whp and started having issues on cylinders 1 and 2. After taking it apart I found the valve seat was cracked all the way to the lower retainer and would not seat properly.

After running it on a b16 bottom with gsr stock internals, it ran fine. I would not recommend it running any aftermarket internals with an increased seat pressure as it seems they do not hold up under heavy loads.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your better off buying a head of craigslist brutha
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKROENING
Has anyone used one of these CNC heads yet? I was thinking about getting one.
They aren't CNC ported...just a casting like OEM. It isn't a bad casting, but its not as nice as OEM. I bought some to run through the CNC and they turned out OK. The casting didn't machine as nice as the OEM metal, and the port is shaped different so we were going to have to make program changes for our port profiles to work well and I didn't think they would be big sellers. I have some new in the box I'll sell for $280 shipped. At that price it might be worth you taking a look at.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I will stick with OEM. Thanks for the advice.