All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

94-95 GSR/Type-R oil cooler install on a 97 GSR

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94-95 GSR/Type-R oil cooler install on a 97 GSR

Hello all,
I was hoping I could pick some brains here quick. I have an oil cooler from a 94-95 Integra GSR that I want to install on my ITS track car – 97 Integra GSR. I'm calling it a GSR oil cooler because I also have the 3 port connection tube, which I only though came off a GSR, but regardless...

Currently we're looking at installing it with the least amount of work. If we ever pull the engine or take the manifold off we'll probably install the 3 port tube, and possibly drill/tap a coolant supply hole on the back of the head. But until that day we're looking at some other methods.

The main issue isn't the coolant return, but where the coolant supply line comes from. A 97 GSR doesn't have an additional supply port on the head like the 94-95 GSR or the Type-R does. Not unless there is a hole under the manifold that's plugged, just poking around with a flashlight I can't see anything. But if anyone knows if there's a threaded plug under there that makes things easier.

Otherwise we're looking at 3 options.

1. The most obvious is to run T fittings from the heater supply/return hoses to feed the oil cooler.

2. Redirect the bypass hose. There's the short hose that routes cooling from the block to the thermostat. We could run that supply to the oil cooler first and then route it back to the thermostat. That will affect the temp of the coolant "hitting" the thermostat but since it's a circulating system everything should work itself out correct? Or on initial startup do we create a possibility of overheating the engine before the thermostat opens up? (cooler water coming back from the oil cooler as it heats up the oil) This option doesn't involve any T fittings.

3. The coolant line coming off the EACV. But will the smaller hose be able to provide enough flow to the oil cooler to prevent the coolant from boiling off? The hottest my oil temp has gotten so far has been about 265 F, and that was with a 5 qt oil pan. But the outdoor temp was in the high 80s. This option doesn't involve any T fittings, but we'd have to step-up and step-down the hose sizes.

So does anyone know if there is a plugged hole under the intake manifold we can run a supply hose off of, or is option 1 the best and call it a day for now? Option 2 doesn't involve fittings, which would be nice.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 94-95 GSR/Type-R oil cooler install on a 97 GSR

If the barb sizes are the same, cut off the right angle barb on the thermostat in the picture, drill and tap for a NPT plug, use the barb off of the intake manifold as the feed for the oil cooler. It'll take some creative hose routing to prevent kinking, but it's the closest option.

Worst case even if it's a size bigger than the oil cooler feed, just remove the manifold to cut off the barb, drill/tap for the right size, and use a reducer bushing if needed. It's just the intake manifold.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the heck? If you already have the coolant tube with the 3 ports, why do you need to modify anything?
It should look like this. All you need is the nipple that threads into the block which is located on the top right of the oil filter to run the last hose.

Last edited by all-mtr-teg; 09-01-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info. Actually I found out on Team-Integra.net

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...ArticleID=1056

that the threaded port on 94-95 GSRs is still there on the '96 and higher. It appears to have a hex plug in it so it's hard to see up there. Rather than mess around and figure out what the thread size is I ordered the block "joint" with the nipple fitting. It was only $7 or so.

So we should be able to get to everything from underneath and make it look like all-mtr-teg's picture.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by all-mtr-teg
What the heck? If you already have the coolant tube with the 3 ports, why do you need to modify anything?
'96 and higher GSRs don't have the coolant supply nipple out the back of the block like the 94-95 GSRs. I guess there is a plug up there though so we can put the coolant nipple in ourselves. Otherwise we'd need to tap off another coolant line somewhere.

That's no longer required though.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by court76wi
'96 and higher GSRs don't have the coolant supply nipple out the back of the block like the 94-95 GSRs. I guess there is a plug up there though so we can put the coolant nipple in ourselves. Otherwise we'd need to tap off another coolant line somewhere.

That's no longer required though.
Yeah, that's what I meant, just remove that plug and install the hose nipple, instead of drilling and tapping the manifold or T-housing. Trust me, I did the same exact thing on my 97 GSR. I used all the oil cooler parts off a 94 GSR block that was cracked.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm using the type r oil cooler on my b18a1 vtec turbo set up and I drilled and taped the block in the same place the c5 has it.
How do I add a picture?