All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

93 si Type-R Build - Parts suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 93 si Type-R Build - Parts suggestions

Originally Posted by TheShodan
That depends upon how low you try to keep the car, which in most cade, many younger people go too low. I would go no further than a +35 offset on a 16x7 or 16x7.5. But I'm conservative and look at functionality, not Hella flush / stance. So, what you may consider "nice", I see as obnoxious.
How low can I go safely with the set up your suggesting?

"younger people" hahaha...I used to be there one day... I actually had this car as my daily back in college many years ago. If I had the money back then, I might have done some stupid things but I'm just looking to have a little fun while remaining safe and functional at this point. Might have been for the best that the D series died on me back then. Loved the car too much to let it go so its been sitting in my garage since. Now that I'm FINALLY building it though, my goal is to have some fun with it to the extent possible.

Appreciate the info and knowledge. Keep it coming!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:16 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 93_EG5_Type-R
How low can I go safely with the set up your suggesting?

"younger people" hahaha...I used to be there one day... I actually had this car as my daily back in college many years ago. If I had the money back then, I might have done some stupid things but I'm just looking to have a little fun while remaining safe and functional at this point. Might have been for the best that the D series died on me back then. Loved the car too much to let it go so its been sitting in my garage since. Now that I'm FINALLY building it though, my goal is to have some fun with it to the extent possible.

Appreciate the info and knowledge. Keep it coming!
My apologies. When people typically ask "how low can I go", on anything, the immediate thought in my mind is that of a youthful person under 30 years of age, based upon the importance of that factor for their build. So, I meant no offense if any was received by that.

To answer this question, there really is no set determinant amount of how low you can take the car. You're already pushing it with trying to go 16x8 , which makes proper tyre selection irritating at best. This is where a good coilover comes into play. Once you get a proper coilover suspension installed, you can play with the heights and dampening rates all you want. But you won't know until you take the risk and start testing. This is why I suggested originally to stay away from the super-wide wheels, and crazy offsets, and keep it simple.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
My apologies. When people typically ask "how low can I go", on anything, the immediate thought in my mind is that of a youthful person under 30 years of age, based upon the importance of that factor for their build. So, I meant no offense if any was received by that.

To answer this question, there really is no set determinant amount of how low you can take the car. You're already pushing it with trying to go 16x8 , which makes proper tyre selection irritating at best. This is where a good coilover comes into play. Once you get a proper coilover suspension installed, you can play with the heights and dampening rates all you want. But you won't know until you take the risk and start testing. This is why I suggested originally to stay away from the super-wide wheels, and crazy offsets, and keep it simple.
No worries. No offense taken. Just felt good to be considered young.

On a different note, I'm looking at the AMR and Progress coilovers and both have good reviews. The difference in price is a whopping $900 though! Don't get me wrong, I'm not the cheap type, but I'm trying to justify the difference here.

Progress - $600
AMR - $1500

What are the real differences? I could really use some insight here! I know that AMR has a lifetime warranty vs only 1 year from Progress but progress seems to have been around for longer. Also, given that this is not going to be a race car, (more of a daily type) I'm trying to see of its REALLY worth it or not for my use. I mean of course I would like the potential of having some track days in the future but nothing professional. And of course if the quality is really all that much of difference, MAYBE that is good justification. Planning on keeping this car for a while so....

Thanks is advance for the input
Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Progress is a twintube design, where the AMRs are a monotube.

AMRs are rebound and compression adjustable in lockstep.

AMRs come with aluminum top hats.

AMR has a lifetime warranty.

AMR is upgrade able to Swift springs and Spherical mounts.

AMRs can be rebuilt by any dealer that rebuilds JRZ, Ohlins, Eibach, etc.

AMR has a Hondatech discount, so they end up being a bit less than $1500.

Is it worth it? Only you can decide that. I will say, there is nothing wrong with Progress coilovers, and for the price they do a terrific job.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ended up going with the AMR coilovers. Andy was great with helping me make up my mind. I also ended up getting Function 7 LCA's and brace along with an AMR sway bar to complete the whole setup.