Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

||||| NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ THIS |||||

Old 04-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ||||| NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ THIS |||||

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
What's been happening on this board is similar to what happens to a country when the head of state is removed....a power vacum. When Rocket, Don F, Mike Belben, RLZ, Randy (RMF), Omni, Combustion Contraption, B19coupe, 92TypeR, for example, moved on (or significantly reduced their presence here), this forum lost some direction and control. The rest of the members, tried to fill their shoes with varying levels of success.

I don't think this forum will ever be what it once was but it doesn't mean it can't be better than it is. I think this board (H-T) is more about quantity (traffic) than quality (making the changes it needs to remain one of the best). Obvioulsy, many of the older members feel powerless, watching things go downhill, so people rant and get angry. I myself have had to step back a little because I just don't have the time and effort needed to try and help keep this section on track. The old leaders we admired, won't be coming back for the most part, so I feel it falls to the boards owners to give some power back to the people (members) to help it be better than it is. I know some efforts have been made in that direction by the board owners, somewhat recently but if all the info the recommendations they received falls on deaf ears, or nothing is done with it, people will just become more incensed and continue to leave, or continue to be disruptive on the board.
Rest assure nothing anybody has said is falling upon deaf ear's.

I'm here.. and I agree with most of you guys.

I've been talking about it forever, but if you guys are finally ready to do something about it, Then let's go.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
Clean Rice I love you. I like the fact that my thread in the all motor forum started this. Im glad someone finally said something.
Your thread didn't start this. BTW.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jimmy - would it be possible to make, and I know this probably won't make much of a diff., but require each new applicant to read through every "Rules of forum" in each subforum?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clean rice
Jimmy - would it be possible to make, and I know this probably won't make much of a diff., but require each new applicant to read through every "Rules of forum" in each subforum?
Lets be honest, i think everyone scrolls through the "rules" and clicks "i agree" lol. I think it needs to be a bit MORE than just that.

Jimmy i just PM'd you. Get back to me asap!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by clean rice
Honestly, I don't think so. I'm almost 99.9% sure they haft to read the Terms of Service before signing up.

Here is a start, anyways.

I'm gonna put a request in that no other moderators respond to post reports on this forum..

If you guys will utilize the ''report post feature'' AKA this icon ''''

I'm gonna try to make sure it only goes too me and rochesterricer..

We might not be able to get too it instantly, but it will be handled..

Not all of the moderators see things eye to eye, etc. Everybody is different, but I believe me and rochesterricer are on the same page as far as this forum goes.

Originally Posted by The Ogre
Lets be honest, i think everyone scrolls through the "rules" and clicks "i agree" lol. I think it needs to be a bit MORE than just that.

Jimmy i just PM'd you. Get back to me asap!
Replied!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You sure you and rochesterricer wouldn't be overwhelmed though? I can only imagine how many flags you and him will get.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Global Moderator

You sure you and rochesterricer wouldn't be overwhelmed though? I can only imagine how many flags you and him will get.
I'm positive. This forum doesn't generate many post reports because nobody use's the post report feature.. I can't fix what I can't see. Individual posts or these threads need to be reported so we can get to them..
Old 04-01-2011, 02:40 PM
mvm
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Claps hands

Well said Rice.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts

So what you are proposing is that we are to use the report post Icon to report any and all posts that we, the users, deem to be mundane? I can't even imagine how much the reported post volume will increase with this modification of the rule.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:45 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Right now, I probably only get a post report from this section once a week, on average. I doubt it will get away from us. If I'm wrong, then we can always assign more mods to this section.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by rochesterricer
Right now, I probably only get a post report from this section once a week, on average. I doubt it will get away from us. If I'm wrong, then we can always assign more mods to this section.
Exactly. If needed in due time, we can promote someone to help Moderate this forum along with us as well.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:47 PM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
So what you are proposing is that we are to use the report post Icon to report any and all posts that we, the users, deem to be mundane? I can only imagine the volume will significantly increase with this addition of the rule.
Personally, I wish folks would just ignore threads like that, like we all used to do. Nothing says "you asked a stupid question" better than a thread getting bumped from the first page because nobody replies to it.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Global Moderator

I forgot to mention Sander too. I know he's on here, but I don't see him much.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to Jimmy and rochesterricer. Im going to be checking on this thread to see when both of you have personal rights to the flags from this section.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy
Your thread didn't start this. BTW.
I'd like to think it was the straw that broke the camels back. It seemed like some members really got their feelings out about the stupid redundant post problem, among other problems that seem to curse honda-tech.

I have a couple theory's that might do something to help though.

The first one would be to basically have honda-tech's search engine built in to the new thread creator. So before you click post/create, honda-tech automatically searches the title you put in. That could do something, but I HIGHLY doubt that it will ever happen.

The second would be to limit new members from the all motor forum until they reach 200 posts or soemthing like that. Give them access, but prevent them from posting. I know by 200 posts, I had a decent handle on the search engine and the site in general. I also knew that people were extremely irritated when a thread that had been made over 100 times was posted again. I learned this just by seeing how badly people would get flamed for it.

The problem is that every rice burgular and his mentally impared brother can create an account and post up useless, redundant crap that most of us have seen well over 100 times; I am particularly referring to original members. I have only been on here for 6 months or so, and I see redundant posts all the time.

Another point I would like to bring up is...Why the hell isn't there a spell check device built in? I am so sick of reading "yo mah homie jus got a new exhauz n hiz intagra. itz so ill. do u guys think i shud gt 1? itz a magen or sumtin" I'm sick of reading ebonics and short hand typing that shouldn't even be used in a text message. If anyone can't spell simple words correctly or even come close to composing a sentence properly they should not be allowed on the site.

Something else that was addressed previously, would be the whole "what is the best..." fill in the blank. If your title contains that phrase you should be tarred and feathered as well as banned or suspended for a week or so. There is no best of anything. There are good things and not so good things. The proper camshaft for your 12.4:1 compression B18c5 motor is not going to be the same as the proper camshaft for johnny ricers B18a1 with an intake and cheap no name catback sold on ebay. Someone that posts what is the best camshaft is showing their own stupidity and complete lack of though. The best camshaft is the one that is completely custom made for your motor.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that team-integra.net requires you to take a mini test and then wait 30 days before you can even post anything. I really think something like that would help as well. I'm sure people will come back and say well what if we have a problem that needs to be adressed now. Well my answer is going to be "Do you really think that in the 20+ years our cars have been around, someone hasn't had the same problem?" I'd be willing to bet 80% to 90% of new question related threads have been answered before; maybe not on honda-tech, but a google search can clear all that up. Just search before posting, plain and simple. If they can't find anything, then its still going to be worth posting in 30 days to get an answer. Am I right or wrong?

To close this rant, when something is actually done to prevent the above from happening, I'm throwing a party. Every competent person (anyone that can pass an 8th grade spelling test) on ht is invited. I have about 4 acres of flat land to use for parking, so even the people out there that haven't gotten past hellaflush can come out.

I'm sure more will pop into my head at some point, but thats all I can think of off the top of my head. My true thoughs about the matter. I apologize for any gramatical or spelling errors, I went through it a couple times and I believe I got them out.

I'm more than in for seeing something significant done to help this problem that is steadily on the rise.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that team-integra.net requires you to take a mini test and then wait 30 days before you can even post anything.
You are wrong. What they do is make you wait until you've had 10 posts until your posts are no longer moderated/screened before being made public.

There's no need to target new members and make them feel stupid. They should just inherently feel stupid coming in rather than empowered to post and receive spoon-fed responses. If anything you (the general, you) are stupid for responding to their nonsense and getting caught up in it!

I agree with rochester. If people ask stupid questions, ignore them and/or report their post. The WORST thing you can do is reply and spawn a whole new thread of endless stupid bickering about unrelated/vague/general topics.

In the end, it is quality of content that raises the bar for new posters and makes them feel as if they have to 'step up their game' in the sense that they'll research a topic before posting.

Post only high quality responses/threads, don't involve yourself in drama, and the rest will take care of itself.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stealthpenguin
You are wrong. What they do is make you wait until you've had 10 posts until your posts are no longer moderated/screened before being made public.

There's no need to target new members and make them feel stupid. They should just inherently feel stupid coming in rather than empowered to post and receive spoon-fed responses. If anything you (the general, you) are stupid for responding to their nonsense and getting caught up in it!

I agree with rochester. If people ask stupid questions, ignore them and/or report their post. The WORST thing you can do is reply and spawn a whole new thread of endless stupid bickering about unrelated/vague/general topics.

In the end, it is quality of content that raises the bar for new posters and makes them feel as if they have to 'step up their game' in the sense that they'll research a topic before posting.

Post only high quality responses/threads, don't involve yourself in drama, and the rest will take care of itself.
Fair enough. I couldn't exactly remember. I know when I registered I had to answer a couple random school questions like math problems. Then a had to wait an amount of time before I could post. Maybe their protocall changed when the website changed hands.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by stealthpenguin

I couldn't have said it any better.

I'm gonna sticky this thread.. also make a thread for ''How to Search'' for this forum.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM
mvm
Honda-Tech Member

Can we vote for the new mod if needed? LMAO... *cough.. clean.. cough.... rice... cough.. cough*
Old 04-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by mvm
Can we vote for the new mod if needed? LMAO... *cough.. clean.. cough.... rice... cough.. cough*
I talked with him via PM and he has revised the first post, So I got this stickied for now.

I like to think that people who help this site and contribute should be rewarded.. even if it's silly things like a custom user title, etc.

I've been wanting to make a post and get everybody on the same page.. I'm glad it's about to happen, regardless of who created the post.

This place is like home to one, the only forum I continuously log in to. I like to see good discussions like old days.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mvm
He's got my vote, even though it probably doesn't count because of my age. Lol
Old 04-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Global Moderator

He's got my vote, even though it probably doesn't count because of my age. Lol
Age is nothing but a number. I was registered on here when i was 14 years old. No joke

Old 04-01-2011, 04:48 PM
mvm
Honda-Tech Member

Keeping its roots style !! Woohoo I am glad to be back on here now !
Old 04-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha 98Integra nah man, a persons age isn't what gets me. It's the maturity that does, and most of the posts/threads that get me rialed are ones that at least "sound" like they are from a younger person. No offense to you at all man, I was 17 at one time to. When I first came onto this forum, I was owned by DonF on the regular. But I'm glad I was.

MVM cracks me up
Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 PM
HT White Ops

Fair enough. I couldn't exactly remember. I know when I registered I had to answer a couple random school questions like math problems. Then a had to wait an amount of time before I could post. Maybe their protocall changed when the website changed hands.
Sounds more like SPAM bot prevention than noob filtering.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ||||| NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ THIS |||||