Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

||||| NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ THIS |||||

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ||||| NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ THIS |||||

In attempts at keeping this forum free of illegitemet posts and threads, the flooding and obvious waste of bandwidth, and people spreading false "knowledge" and misleading information , I'm gonna "suggest" a few things - and others feel free to add - to consider before clicking that "post" button.

Contrary to many users beliefs, Honda Tech has been around for quite some time. If you just found out about this site because you saw some dude cruising your streets with a Honda Tech sticker on his Ford Probe, PLEASE refrain from posting anything, you will get flamed. There are many MANY members on this site that are simply tired of repeating themselves year after year, month after month, week and week, and even day after day.

If there is one thing that a newer member can do to better himself/herself, it is getting framiliar with this magical little button in the top right corner of your screen called the "search" button. https://honda-tech.com/search.php *Note that you may have to switch to "search topic titles," it is right under your keyword box. This helps. If that doesn't work, try "googling," using Honda Tech and what you are searching for as key words. It will appear. Don't give up after 2 minutes and make a thread because your mom is yelling at you saying dinner is ready.

All Motor Frequently Asked Questions! https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/all-motor-forum-%5Bfaq%5D-2628364/

Couple things that come to mind right now:

1.) OEM B20 pistons can not accept aftermarket camshafts!!!! This forum gets absolutely destroyed with people asking this. STOP. NOW.

2.) "Poor mans type r." Dumb. If you are building an engine, build it. Do not label it. It's pointless, has no significance, and does not relate a dollar value to an engine. You can have just as much invested into a pr3/b18c combo as anything else.

3.) "200 whp." My cousins brothers uncles son made 200 on blah blah BLAH. Shut up. If you want to post what you made, there is a thread for it. And it has existed for more than a few years. Use it. Nobody cares about your uncorrected, stack in front of a fan dyno from some island half way around the world. Again - apply where necessary.

4.) "Best." On anything. There is no such thing, it does NOT exist. There is no best header, or cam, or exhaust. Research and see what people have had succes with, theres an easy 8+ years worth of information literally at your finger tips. Use it.

5.) "Fully built." No, you're not "fully built." If there is literally NO WAY possible to squeeze another 2 hp out of your motor, you are not "fully built." Having cams and valvetrain in your head does not warrant that claim either...boo hoo.

6.) Compression. This has turned into a debatable topic with newer forms of tuning being available, and obviously with E85 being more commonly used. However, for most people on street motors, 11:5 ~ 12:1 is a window where you need to be. Some of us(like myself) do not have 93 octane at the pump, nor does my tuner use Ectune/Neptune etc. This does NOT mean that a strong motor cannot be had for this managable compression level...and it is impossible to know how much power will "increase" by bumping from 12:1 to 12:5 or more. Bottom line is it makes more sense to work with the motor while tuning, than working against it just so you can say z0mG I hAs c0preszions!!? Get real.

7.) When you create a thread, you are subjecting yourself to all forms of life. So don't get mad when someone tells you not to put a Buddy Club stage 9 camshaft in your stock SIR1 swap. YOU created the thread, it is up to YOU to decipher what is realistic or not. If you don't like the advice you are recieving, and it's legit knowledge, then feel free to move along. There is no room for you here. People can only learn when they are willing to learn.

8.) Unless you have a V6, you have one cylinder head. Which means you have one header. Nobody is going to take you seriously using the term headerS. Nobody.

9.) Keep it mature. "Z0mg i p0ppeD vtecH y0 an now iT liKe cLunkz 0r s0meThin?" Keep your text-savvy "language" to your phones and between your friends. Your parents don't understand it, we don't understand it, it's not english. Grow up.

10.) Unless you are building a B16a motor, SEARCH CAREFULLY BEFORE USING PCT(CTR) PISTONS. For some reason people look at these, see the dome, and think bigger is better. This is NOT the case. SEARCH.

11.) If you find an ancient thread, do not bump it with a "". You just re-generated an old discussion, an old build, and older technology just to show that you like the results or you are following the thread by example. We applaud you for searching, but there is NO need to bump it. (obviously some threads are subjected to this, but for good reason)

12.) Engine management. People can recommend EM all day long, but if your local tuner does not know how to use a program that some stranger on the internet recommended for you, then it's not much use to you is it? Consult with the tuner you are going to choose and do what THEY recommend.

If people disagree with what I have posted, fine. But keep the debate on a MATURE level. Calling people "haters" or arguing just because you don't "believe the hype" can be left in the high school parking lot.

Hello DynoDave

Last edited by UncleD; 05-10-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: "cleaned up version"
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleD:
Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ||||| NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ THIS |||||

7) Don't ask questions about your build and then not listen the advice you receive. Even if it's not what you wanted to hear. These threads always turn into useless dick swinging contests that get nowhere but locked..
Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never have any luck with the built in search. Go to google and type in "site:honda-tech.com *whatever you're searching for*".
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL at #5, I hate when people say that.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

* no txt speak/chat lingo... if making a thread, make sure to atleast
type the correct spelling of the brand , or machinery

it gets old reading " my buddy n his R juz had a new exhaust n iz illin' "
Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And if someone spells VTEC "vtech" one more time........
Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please make this a sticky!
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean Rice I love you. I like the fact that my thread in the all motor forum started this. Im glad someone finally said something.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to see someone addressing these issues, some of them are pretty funny. Heres a few of my own:

8) Please stop asking "how much boost can I run on my motor safely?"

Every motor is different, every turbo/ setup is different, and most importantly every tuner is different. Boost is not an accurate description of HP, its just a number and gets thrown around way too often...

9) Stop asking "What ebay turbo kit is best?"

They all suck, and will fail; or cause your engine to fail prematurely. If you dont have the cash to buy decent parts, dont buy any at all. I know this is a very debatable topic, but thats just my 2 cents...

Also one more: 10) Four cylinders have only one HEADER, not headers plural. If its a stock exhaust manifold, then stop calling it a header! I hear this WAY too often.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol ummm. Maybe u should edit 8-9. ^^^

Props to clean rice. Most threads should get locked n redirected to something like this.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds more like a rant than a useful thread
Old 04-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redline1219
Glad to see someone addressing these issues, some of them are pretty funny. Heres a few of my own:

8) Please stop asking "how much boost can I run on my motor safely?"

Every motor is different, every turbo/ setup is different, and most importantly every tuner is different. Boost is not an accurate description of HP, its just a number and gets thrown around way too often...

9) Stop asking "What ebay turbo kit is best?"

They all suck, and will fail; or cause your engine to fail prematurely. If you dont have the cash to buy decent parts, dont buy any at all. I know this is a very debatable topic, but thats just my 2 cents...

Also one more: 10) Four cylinders have only one HEADER, not headers plural. If its a stock exhaust manifold, then stop calling it a header! I hear this WAY too often.
^^^ I've got love for this, if i was in the FI section.

On another note, this would be a great sticky...but no one ever seems to read them anyways.

Last edited by PreyStayShun; 04-01-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Spell Check, Damn it!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Outstanding.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its so good to see the Clean Rice of old back and doing what he does best keeping people honest.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

good read, good rant. has my vote for no removal or ban.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So your saying I should use CTR pistons in my ls vtec?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=PreyStayShun;44988553]^^^ I've got love for this, if i was in the FI section.

Yeah I realize this is in the NA section, but I spend all my time in FI and those are all things I see daily. Just my contribution, sorry if it doesnt fit in...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=redline1219;44989519]
Originally Posted by PreyStayShun
^^^ I've got love for this, if i was in the FI section.

Yeah I realize this is in the NA section, but I spend all my time in FI and those are all things I see daily. Just my contribution, sorry if it doesnt fit in...
No worries...there should be a similar thread to this in every section thats not specifically Chassis based (I.E. FI/Suspension/Wheels...) Just my $.02

PS- Clean Rice you just created a "charlie sheen" twitter thread via HT...1 million hits in 24 hours, just watch.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use this to search:

- Go to Google or type into the Google search bar in your browser:

site:honda-tech.com whateveryoursearchingfor

For example:

site:honda-tech.com "pr3 pistons" b18c1 dyno

This search is instantaneous and much easier than Honda-Tech's. Additionally, you can use the search options in the left hand side of Google's search results to filter the discussion results by timestamp. This lets you look at posts with recent activity. Granted, this is more useful when talking about new products or you want to see pictures. Otherwise, most of the GOOD information on Honda-Tech is quite old.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread verbalizes pretty much EVERY thought I have had when I come into this forum in the last few years.

This should be at the top of the forum, with the computer display equivalent of blinking, flashing, fluorescent, neon, airport searchlights around it. There should be a f*cking engine IQ entrance exam to post in this forum! I realize everyone has to start somewhere (and I'm sick and f*cking tired of people saying that), but when the info is already here (and lots of it is in the FAQ for God's sake), I get sick of seeing the same questions. In Newbs' defense, the search SUCKS!! It's sucked ever since the board got sold. But I don't see the owners doing a damn thing to get it back to how it was, before.

To reference Tyler Durden: Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
In this same idea, Chances are that what you're asking has already been covered.....AD NAUSEUM!!!

Similar to one local forum I'm on, you should have to have a vouch to get in....or at least to post in THIS forum

I agree wholeheartedly with this thread. Maybe if members can follow this before posting...maybe we can get some of the "magic" back in this forum.

Originally Posted by OGv2siik
good read, good rant. has my vote for no removal or ban.
As for voting....we should start a petition to UNban a few members. One in particular was banned for a BS Reason when a Mod got on some damn power trip. But sadly, IDK if those members would even come back if they WEREN'T banned.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

If Honda enthusiasts were more into helping each other out vs out for the feeling of being omniscient. This wouldn't really be an issue. If you don't like what people are asking. Don't read the thread.

I am as guilty as any other person when it comes to telling people to use the search function. I'm just as board at seeing the same questions being asked over and over again. However, I have come to the conclusion that this instant gratification behavior is not going to change. These days, I quickly scan any new threads and respond to those that interest me, I disregard the rest, approx. 98%.

I leave the never ending H22. LS/V engine HP type noob threads to the other noobs that want to help out. Only when I see total misinformation will I intervene, if I have the knowledge.

I mean no disrespect towards Clean rice or this thread. It was a tasteful rant. However in the end, What this thread topic touches on is not going to change. It's just the way it's going to be. Specially with the instant internet gratification that society is used to these days.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
If Honda enthusiasts were more into helping each other out vs out for the feeling of being omniscient. This wouldn't really be an issue. If you don't like what people are asking. Don't read the thread.

I am as guilty as any other person when it comes to telling people to use the search function. I'm just as board at seeing the same questions being asked over and over again. However, I have come to the conclusion that this instant gratification behavior is not going to change. These days, I quickly scan any new threads and respond to those that interest me, I disregard the rest, approx. 98%.

I leave the never ending H22. LS/V engine HP type noob threads to the other noobs that want to help out. Only when I see total misinformation will I intervene, if I have the knowledge.

I mean no disrespect towards Clean rice or this thread. It was a tasteful rant. However in the end, What this thread topic touches on is not going to change. It's just the way it's going to be. Specially with the instant internet gratification that society is used to these days.
Pretty much how i go about it. I just try as hard as possible to ignore the "how much HP will i make" threads or the "FULLY BUILT TURD WHY'S IT DOING THIS" threads. Is there anything else a moderator can change to make this section more tech oriented? That is the real question.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by 5.0 Killa
I never have any luck with the built in search. Go to google and type in "site:honda-tech.com *whatever you're searching for*".
If you can't find what your looking for VIA the honda-tech search engine, it's most likely because it's not configured properly.

You need to set the search options up and then save them.

Search by ''Topic Titles''

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/how-use-honda-tech-search-engine-2585253/

Then if all else fails.. Use google, but I have zero issues.. and ifyou do this.. neither will you guys.

Also if your searching something more specific put quotes around it. '' text here ''
Old 04-01-2011, 02:14 PM
All Motor Mentor

What's been happening on this board is similar to what happens to a country when the head of state is removed....a power vacum. When Rocket, Don F, Mike Belben, RLZ, Randy (RMF), Omni, Combustion Contraption, B19coupe, 92TypeR, for example, moved on (or significantly reduced their presence here), this forum lost some direction and control. The rest of the members, tried to fill their shoes with varying levels of success.

I don't think this forum will ever be what it once was but it doesn't mean it can't be better than it is. I think this board (H-T) is more about quantity (traffic) than quality (making the changes it needs to remain one of the best). Obvioulsy, many of the older members feel powerless, watching things go downhill, so people rant and get angry. I myself have had to step back a little because I just don't have the time and effort needed to try and help keep this section on track. The old leaders we admired, won't be coming back for the most part, so I feel it falls to the boards owners to give some power back to the people (members) to help it be better than it is. I know some efforts have been made in that direction by the board owners, somewhat recently but if all the info the recommendations they received falls on deaf ears, or nothing is done with it, people will just become more incensed and continue to leave, or continue to be disruptive on the board.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
If you don't like what people are asking. Don't read the thread.
While your theory appears to be easy to do, it is not. If it were true, it is a fact that we would still have our old knowledgable engine builders and hp enthusiasts. It is not a secret that the reason many left, or were banned, was because of all these self proclaimed "experts" were driving the experienced ones crazy. The only thing they had over our previous valuable members was more time and less maturity. They will troll someone till they die because in there world, all that matters is what a message board thinks of them.

Quick Reply: ||||| NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ THIS |||||