Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

TEXAS A/C ISSUES, ITS HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEXAS A/C ISSUES, ITS HOT!

I have had issues with my AC for years. I will try and be specific as to what all has gone on with it. I believe it has been the same problem the whole time, possibly a combination. I have searched and searched and searched and cant find my exact issue.

I have a 2011 TSX, and a couple of years ago the AC started working intermittently. It would rarely not work, but it was not often that this happened. By not working I dont mean not blowing cold, I mean the blower motor would not even kick on. This became a little more frequent but then I wasnt using my AC as much because the winter came around. I dont think I ever had the issue with the heater that winter either. The next summer comes around and it gets worse, it only blows any air intermittently. It got so bad that I decided to change some parts. New blower motor resistor, no change. New blower motor, no change. I played with the wiring tons of times trying to see if it was a bad connection and would constantly wiggle the wires to no avail. The lights on the AC buttons always work so I assumed it wasnt the switches either. I eventually found out that if I hit the plastic shield that shields you from seeing the bottom of the blower motor (the plastic piece above your feet and under the glove box) ithe blower motor would blow again. This is actually when I changed the blower motor because I thought maybe it was getting stuck like they do sometimes, but it did not fix anything. Then it got to where I wound have to hit the plastic harder and more times for it to work. Eventually it wouldnt work even with hitting it. It also got to where it would blow hot sometimes or sometimes just not cold. When it did that I would just run the temperature all the way up then back down while on auto and that would usually make it blow cold again do I know it was something with the temp and not the compressor. As funny/embarrassing as this is, I then found that if I honked my horn the AC would work. Then that got harder and harder as well. My wife then figured out if she hit the steering wheel on the horn section it would work. That stopped as well. I replaced the blower motor relay not long ago and that did not help either. So i had finally had enough since it is so hot and went out messing with it today. I have another resistor that I tried to no avail, I also plugged in the old ac blower motor (since it didnt fix the issue when I replaced it I guess the blower motor is still good) to no avail. Even though it was intermittent for so long so I knew it probably wasnt a fuse and I had checked the fuses multiple times before, I went ahead and checked them again tonight. When I was removing the fuse and almost had it all the way out the AC kicked on. (It would not work at all the second half of the day today). I then noticed that everytime I pull the fuse out and put it back in the blower motor (and compressor) would kick on for 3 seconds along with the "auto" light, the "sync" light, and the "circulate" light (the one with the car and the arrow inside of it showing the air circulating). Then after about 3 seconds the "circulate" light would turn off as would the compressor and the blower motor. I am at a complete and utter loss. I have rebuilt engines before, swapped engines, and swapped transmissions so I'm not mechanically ignorant and should be able to test whatever you think I should. That being said, I do not claim to know much about AC systems. Any help is much appreciated. I just sold my wife's car to get her another one and we are patiently looking, so we are down to my TSX only and it is way too hot to not have AC here. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2019, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TEXAS A/C ISSUES, ITS HOT!

Update: I also realized today that when I turn the key on it does the same thing as when the car is running and I take the fuse in and out. It turns on with the key in position 2 for a couple seconds and then turns off.