Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

Need to replace clutch on 09 TSX. Looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need to replace clutch on 09 TSX. Looking for advice.

Hey guys I need to replace the clutch on my 2009 Acura TSX. OEM one is finally shot with 122k miles. The car is a daily driver and stock so I do not need anything crazy. Just something for a stock engine, with a good easy pedal feel, long life, low chatter etc. OEM quality. So here are my questions.

1. Flywheel. It needs to be resurfaced or no? Will it just be easier to buy a new flywheel? If so which is recommended?

2. OEM vs Aftermarket. The OEM one is about $70 more. Is the Exedy as good or better? Should I play it safe with OEM quality or is it unnecessary?

OEM $300 + SHIPPING
22200-R40-003 DISK, FRICTION $125
22300-R40-013 DISK, PRESSURE $135
22810-RPN-003 BEARING, CLUTCH RELEASE $40

Exedy Kit $237 SHIPPED
Amazon Amazon

3. Anything missing from the lists above? I just need those three parts from OEM or the Exedy kit and then to figure out the flywheel?

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need to replace clutch on 09 TSX. Looking for advice.

be safe and resurface flywheel, it's alot of work to have to do twice. I work for a dealership, so of course I am a firm believer in OEM parts. I've seen aftermarket parts of all sorts fail, and again, clutch is alot of work to do twice. do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Old 06-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WanaBeFaster
be safe and resurface flywheel, it's alot of work to have to do twice. I work for a dealership, so of course I am a firm believer in OEM parts. I've seen aftermarket parts of all sorts fail, and again, clutch is alot of work to do twice. do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Thanks. No I went to the dealer and they said $1600 for parts and labor plus tax which is way too much I think. So I found I can get the parts online for about $300. I contacted a local honda shop (not a dealer) and they said they can resurface the flywheel for $85. For labor they quoted 5 hours at $125 hr. So that saves me about $600.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The K24 exedy kit should come with a flywheel. I didn't like the way the TSX clutch felt. So I bought a K20 6spd flywheel and Exedy K20 6spd (KHC10 IIRC) clutch kit.

The K20 flywheel is lighter by about 6LBS or so. The clutch does have a smaller friction surface...but the pedal feel is better, IMO. I like the engagement a little higher than center and I like a lighter effort pedal.

Or...again...the K24 6spd Exedy kit should come with a flywheel. Buy the exedy kit. Don't buy some junk from a parts store.

Check rockauto.com or go with the one on Amazon. Just make sure its for the 6spd K24 trans.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
The K24 exedy kit should come with a flywheel. I didn't like the way the TSX clutch felt. So I bought a K20 6spd flywheel and Exedy K20 6spd (KHC10 IIRC) clutch kit.

The K20 flywheel is lighter by about 6LBS or so. The clutch does have a smaller friction surface...but the pedal feel is better, IMO. I like the engagement a little higher than center and I like a lighter effort pedal.

Or...again...the K24 6spd Exedy kit should come with a flywheel. Buy the exedy kit. Don't buy some junk from a parts store.

Check rockauto.com or go with the one on Amazon. Just make sure its for the 6spd K24 trans.
What year is your TSX? because i remember reading a thread that a lighten flywheel causes 09+ TSX to misfire
Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Slow-TSX
What year is your TSX? because i remember reading a thread that a lighten flywheel causes 09+ TSX to misfire
2006. That's strange that a light flywheel would cause an actual misfire.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:51 AM

I just read that thread. Guy said he had a misfire with some aftermarket light flywheel. He solved his problem by using a RSX-S/K20 6spd flywheel. His object was to bolt on a stg.2 clutch for extra power.

I would use a OE replacement (KHC10) or stage1 for a street car if you did a K20 flywheel to broaden your clutch selection and, IMO, give you better pedal feel.

The thread is linked below.

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834205

Or keep is simple and buy the TSX exedy clutch kit with the flywheel. I didn't because I didn't like the feel of the TSX clutch. It engaged too low to the floor for my liking. And yes...I am aware of how to adjust a pedal.