Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

04 tsx massive throttle delay1 to2nd gear

Old 09-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 tsx massive throttle delay1 to2nd gear

i read about the throttle delay on a tsx but i dont think its like what i have
normally i feel some delay also and kinda used to it already

but when shifting from 1st at redline to second gear im having a massive delay it feels like over a second long
like i have time to look around with that WTF look on my face and count to one mississippi (whatever the spelling is) and then it goes.
i checked all i could. everything seems to be in place there are zero codes for any systems
and i tightened the throttle cable as soon as i found out this is actually a halfassed drive by wire system.(another wtf honda lol)

i know some people just replace the app sensor and sometimes it works someitmes doesnt its not a cheap part to replace
is there any way to confirm that its the app sensor faulty for sure or is it something to do with the actual TB servo system faulty?
what do i need to check before swapping parts blindly?

btw when people replace the app sensor and it fixes the problem what exatly is the fault with the app sensor can i test for it?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 450 Likes on 416 Posts
Default Re: 04 tsx massive throttle delay1 to2nd gear

I too notice the huge delay between gears. Mine is there on every gear. VERY annoying. I heard if you keep the throttle at least 5% open it won't lag so bad.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

checked the throttle and app with the scanner
app shows 0% closed 100% with gas pedal down
TB shows 18% closed and I think 76% with gas pedal down
it shows 2 different voltages for app but I haven't really looked into what it should be in the manual yet

is that normal to have such difference in the values between the app and TB?

I tried moving the gas slowly and didn't notice any fluctuation on the graph either
tb graph seems to follow app graph consistently without any spikes

is there really no way to fix this without hondata?
Old 09-16-2017, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can i offset the app sensor or something?

why does it happen anyone have an explanation?

can i use the APP pedal from 2008 tsx since it is built in the gas pedal?
Old 09-16-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
can i offset the app sensor or something?

why does it happen anyone have an explanation?

can i use the APP pedal from 2008 tsx since it is built in the gas pedal?
11.5 years, and have never experienced any of this..Like, NEVER on my TSX

You could always try a Buddy Club e-throttle booster. It works on DBW. on most Honda models. Tried it on a test RSX Type-S. Did well
Old 09-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ill try to make a video some day.
its really is like over a second delay from first to second gear. and shorter from then on
does throttle body servo fail at all on these?
the tb is clean and when i move the app the throttle opens smoothly
can it be anything else not related to tb or app sensor?
at first i thought it was from engine rock but i fixed that
all mounts and front suspension bushings are new and proper rotaiton with car leveled...
spark plugs look good still
good o2 sensors and low mileae cat from a 60k tsx
i never checked the ecu though. maybe something burned

it lterally just hangs for a full second
i go through first gear
press clutch at redline
shift to second as the rpms drop
release the clutch and step on gas
and theres nothing while im flooring the gas
and then a second later it jsut picks up like i feel the throttle body opening
from second to third and so on its a very small delay its there but not as dramaic as first to second.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:34 PM

ill try to make a video some day.
its really is like over a second delay from first to second gear. and shorter from then on
does throttle body servo fail at all on these?
the tb is clean and when i move the app the throttle opens smoothly
can it be anything else not related to tb or app sensor?
at first i thought it was from engine rock but i fixed that
all mounts and front suspension bushings are new and proper rotaiton with car leveled...
spark plugs look good still
good o2 sensors and low mileae cat from a 60k tsx
i never checked the ecu though. maybe something burned

it lterally just hangs for a full second
i go through first gear
press clutch at redline
shift to second as the rpms drop
release the clutch and step on gas
and theres nothing while im flooring the gas
and then a second later it jsut picks up like i feel the throttle body opening
from second to third and so on its a very small delay its there but not as dramaic as first to second.
Perhaps I don't attempt to shift as aggressively, knowing that revving in 1st gear to redline for the car does nothing. You're outside of the optimal torqueband of the rpm range to warrant that kind of shifting, anyway, which is why this is 2.4 litre, and not some 1.8 B-series rpm monster.

The computers of most 2005+ Honda ECU systems integrate a small amount of "rev hang" for emissions purposes, and to save the valves. You can't just drive these like a normal throttle cabled system from your B-series without some sort of aftermarket control. This is why I recommended the buddy cub e-throttle booster, that changes the % reading of the accelerator position sensor. I've never seen a replaced APP sensor or pedal assembly improve anything, without accompanying engine management.

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-03-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sad dog face...
i see. lol yea i do miss the b series. it was very effortless especially type-r motor. should have never sold it. made 200whp 136tq on a stock usdm spec motor with boltons after rebuild and balance.
made more power than my stupid gsr build that i spent x2 amount of money lol

i probably just gonna sell this tsx and get a 2008 i think its a much better starting point to do any kind of modification since the motor and ecu are already there with all the improvements
Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 PM

I think you're wasting your time going from 06' to 08'. There isn't a "problem" in the first place. As an owner of both, there WAS NO DIFFERENCE in hardware/software, ECU or performance. Even the '09s had a different intake manifold composition & design, but only changed the torque numbers a bit. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS COMPLETELY THE SAME.

As for your "thumping" you're hearing, its more than likely the rear endlinks and bushings, which tend to wear out MUCH SOONER than the suspension. The suspension in these are one of the more robust systems available, and TSX in particular is the last of the double-wishbone suspension systems created. This chassis was used in more racing series as winners than the RSX Type S and DC5 combined.

I think you're just going to keep going through cars until you go back to the B-series, where us old heads belong. You're expecting too much from these stock systems that are running DBW and CAN-BUS integrated systems.

Just stating my observations from your last several threads you started in attempting to modify the K-series in stock chassis.. You expect too much to be able to modify from the jump.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol its funny because i almost posted this tsx for trade for a 4 door integra just cant replace integra it was my first car... alot of memories

isnt the 06 and up has better internals? stronger rotating assembly and bigger valves etc?
and i wont have to buy the ecu in order to get the ktuner isnt the 08 plug and play for the ktuner?
plus 08 also has more interior features liek disabling that stupid auto lock for the doors
this is my first k series so it was more of a test run to kinda poke around the car and see whats what now i got a better idea of what im looking for

i also found another way to reflash them
theres a guy in russia that just did a turbo legend kb1 with a reflashed ecu and a piggyback
he shared with me all the tools that he used which cost about same as buying a kpro or hondata. they re not RTP but allow to reflash any 2004 and up honda/acura and its worth a try
he has a database of basemaps for pretty much every year model including RL kb1 he said he can tune any j series the only limit is the stock map sensor so no boost without a piggyback

but yea theres a 100% chance of me owning a b series car in the near future.. i just cant replace the feel. all this electronic assist **** is pissing me off lol
Old 09-19-2017, 06:08 AM

My comments are in red.

lol its funny because i almost posted this tsx for trade for a 4 door integra just cant replace integra it was my first car... alot of memories

isnt the 06 and up has better internals? stronger rotating assembly and bigger valves etc? - Nope. 06-08, exactly the same

and i wont have to buy the ecu in order to get the ktuner isnt the 08 plug and play for the ktuner? - I cannot answer that. I didn't bother with K-Tuner, and won't.

plus 08 also has more interior features liek disabling that stupid auto lock for the doors -Again, no change. I'm able to do that with the menus in the '06. I can disable autolock, extend the time period from 30 seconds - 90 seconds, and even change whether or not the remote can open one door or ALL doors. It's all in the selection menus in the steering controls.

this is my first k series so it was more of a test run to kinda poke around the car and see whats what now i got a better idea of what im looking for. It was mine too back in '06. But only then did we understand the capabilities of the engine. The problem is you're expecting the stock ECU to behave like the ones in the B-series from 91-95, and they just don't do that. they are much more complicated and don't allow for the changes that you want to have in a way that allows for quick access, as though it were a 2012+ CAN-BUS model. You're literally right in between generations of systems.

i also found another way to reflash them
theres a guy in russia that just did a turbo legend kb1 with a reflashed ecu and a piggyback
he shared with me all the tools that he used which cost about same as buying a kpro or hondata. they re not RTP but allow to reflash any 2004 and up honda/acura and its worth a try
he has a database of basemaps for pretty much every year model including RL kb1 he said he can tune any j series the only limit is the stock map sensor so no boost without a piggyback

that's your choice. You're on your own in that area. Please don't expect any assistance with those Russian tools. I'm not saying their bad, but many of us tend to leave the more complicated and robust coding of these systems to companies and people that put more "skin in the game" when releasing materials. Companies that tend to have available technical support, regional culpability, federal jurisdiction, etc. So, you're completely on your own to try these..

but yea theres a 100% chance of me owning a b series car in the near future.. i just cant replace the feel. all this electronic assist **** is pissing me off lol

Then you need to go back now, because it only gets worse and more complicated as the generations increase. there are some advantages to these newer systems, but you can't simply physically bypass the way you're used to doing. Modding has taken a newer stance with a laptop, as much as a wrench. So, you have to become more adaptive in your thinking, and in some cases pony up $$ where you normally wouldn't expect to.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean I m not going back to only obd1 I'm learning about these systems now its good to stay up to date but the integra will be the car I keep just because...
I'm assuming you use hondata then? I haven't used either so I don't know how they are yet.

the Russian guy is more for the RL since there are no other options and he seems to be doing a lot of j series tunes with those tools successfully using tactrix and pcmflash/bitedit. which I understand is nowhere near as easy as hondata or ktuner but I like doing things manually anyway

btw how do you get into the programming lol I have no luck on 2004 tsx to change the door lock settings unless the 2004 doesn't have them I tried few yutube videos but no luck
Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM

I mean I m not going back to only obd1 I'm learning about these systems now its good to stay up to date but the integra will be the car I keep just because...
I'm assuming you use hondata then? I haven't used either so I don't know how they are yet.

the Russian guy is more for the RL since there are no other options and he seems to be doing a lot of j series tunes with those tools successfully using tactrix and pcmflash/bitedit. which I understand is nowhere near as easy as hondata or ktuner but I like doing things manually anyway

btw how do you get into the programming lol I have no luck on 2004 tsx to change the door lock settings unless the 2004 doesn't have them I tried few yutube videos but no luck
Service manual. Best book around.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
-Again, no change. I'm able to do that with the menus in the '06. I can disable autolock, extend the time period from 30 seconds - 90 seconds, and even change whether or not the remote can open one door or ALL doors. It's all in the selection menus in the steering controls.
Sorry for the thread jack, but this part is very interesting. I had no idea I could enable auto lock on my 06, or any of the features you just listed for that matter. Could all this information be found in the owners manual by chance? And are you referring to the auto lock that happens when you unlock the doors but do not open them, or an auto lock feature that locks the doors once I start to drive away?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should be both features.
unfortunately 2004 don't have the options as far as I can tell it started in 2006 the cluster I belive is also updated to show mpg and some other info
he 2004 just shows trip outside temp and brightness
Old 09-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by hungrygreen_gsr
Sorry for the thread jack, but this part is very interesting. I had no idea I could enable auto lock on my 06, or any of the features you just listed for that matter. Could all this information be found in the owners manual by chance? And are you referring to the auto lock that happens when you unlock the doors but do not open them, or an auto lock feature that locks the doors once I start to drive away?
The auto lock happens when you unlock the doors but don't open them. This is found in the OEM service manual, although not much detail. You have to sort of "play" with the settings. No different than resetting the oil % once you've changed the oil.
They do not lock themselves as you drive away.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
The auto lock happens when you unlock the doors but don't open them. This is found in the OEM service manual, although not much detail. You have to sort of "play" with the settings. No different than resetting the oil % once you've changed the oil.
They do not lock themselves as you drive away.
The part in bold I knew. I was just a little confused and started to get hopeful lol. I'm sure with a bit of googling I can find out how to reset and change functions. Just never knew we had the ability to do so. Thanks
Old 10-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

just replace the APP sensor. it notoriously goes bad. odd throttle response is a typical symptom.

before i replaced mine, i had a code, but it wasnt flashing an engine light. mechanic thought i needed a new clutch and it was "my bad shifting". after he changed the clutch, he went to clear my ecu, i could see him scratching his head, he probably saw the codes then...

i checked the codes myself and i ended up replacing the APP myself and concluded i replaced my clutch about 50k miles too early. oh well.