Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Throttle issue? Dying at low rpm, cutting out at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle issue? Dying at low rpm, cutting out at high rpm

Can someone please help me out with this issue?

Sometimes the car will gently die out when coasting or coming to a stop when in neutral or with the clutch in. Basically whenever its supposed to idle.

People keep saying IACV but when this happens and I catch it, like when slowing down and shifting to deck d and then getting back on the gas the car continues to die which is demonstrated in the video. I would think when actuating the throttle IACV is deactivated. To me that issue seems like an ignition or fuel issue where the car isn't being told to fire or send/ spray fuel.

The second isssue which may or may not be related is when ubder full acceleration and full throttle ONLY above 5,1000rpm the car will cut out like its hitting a rev limiter but would come back and go cut out again and the longer you 'push' it like that (not letting off the throttle) it cuts out faster and the rpms start to climb slower if at all. That is shown in the other video.

The car has;
New OEM MAP
New Bosch O2 -should have got a Denso
New injectors
Year old distributor cap & rotor (old /original external coil/ igniter)
New plugs & wires (NGK plugs, whatever brand wires)
222,300 miles

The car does not have a CEL or code stored (OBD1) and will start, idle, and rev and bang the 7,200rpm fuel cut without any issues. Its a 1993 Acura Vigor 5 speed.

The vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator was unplugged and I drove the car on the hwy at 80mph without any issues like that before I found it and plugged it back in to the TB. It revved and pulled hard to the red line that day but the day after plugging it back up the car cuts out in higher rpm. The car stalled when slowing down out of fear and sometimes had no throttle response both with and wothout it plugged.

To me it sounds like a fuel pressure issue but my test kit doesn't have the right adapter for the fuel filter service port so I cant check FP my self.

I did check my TPS and it read 0.46 volts closed and linearly climbed to 3.39 volts fully opened. They are supposed to read 4.5 volts fully opened so that is a issue that may cause the high rpm cutting? Unplugging the sensor and the car runs no different.

If anyone has had a similar issue please let me know. I have a new OEM TPS and denso fuel pump I can install but I feel like the no throttle response could be sometjing else like the ignition cool going on and out or the fuel injector resistor going in and out randomly.

all the help is extremely appreciated since I'm supposed to be taking the car to Virginia International Raceway Friday for charity laps and it obviously not in the shape for that...